Holtby best remaining goalie in the playoffs

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Anyone who's left in the playoffs would have won those games, that team was crazy.

Hmm. Was it ?

I've seen them get taken to overtime by the steamroller that is Latvia, I've seen them score a total of ONE goal against the US.

All their games were won by one goal, except the Austria game in which they blew them up 6-0.

Oh and the final game... Where King pressure Henrik gave up 3 goals.... To a team that scored once on Gudlevskis.

Algernop Kreider

Ant strength
Mar 9, 2014
New York
Hmm. Was it ?

I've seen them get taken to overtime by the steamroller that is Latvia, I've seen them score a total of ONE goal against the US.

All their games were won by one goal, except the Austria game in which they blew them up 6-0.

Oh and the final game... Where King pressure Henrik gave up 3 goals.... To a team that scored once on Gudlevskis.

Carey Price gave up 5 goals to the Blackhawks, a team that got shut out by the Dallas Stars! He must suck!

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
Absolutely, his 2013 run was great but still I'm not his biggest fan. I was just giving him credit and he plays in the west which is much tougher than the east, would like to see how good Price/Holtby would be in the west.

I don't think Price would lose many games if he played on the Blackhawks. It would probably be a little unfair, truthfully.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
Anyone who's left in the playoffs would have won those games, that team was crazy.

They beat the USA 1-0. I think it's a bit much to say any goalie left in the playoffs would have won that game. There was zero margin for error, zero. And it's not like the USA was full of 4th line plugs, Pacioretty was on the 4th line and he had 39 goals that year.

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
Hmm. Was it ?

Really? This is your argument?

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Really? This is your argument?

My argument for what ?

Or are you implying that the margin of error wasn't incredibly low ?

What if Price gives up two goals in the US game?

I love how it's hard for HF to give any praise to a Habs player.

It's weird since Price is one of the most respected player in the league and I like to think he's a likeable chap.

Rhiessan71

Just a Fool
Feb 17, 2003
Guelph, Ont
Visit site
and the teams in the west ( and some of the teams left in the east) have a far better defense than the habs.

corey crawford is the definition of a system goalie, he's niemi part deux. in the hypothetical of win that one game or one series and you get to pick your goalie, the only people taking crawford are massochists.

And yet Thomas is still held in such high regard for 2011.
He stunk it up in round 1 and almost cost the B's that series. He wasn't that good against the Bolts and barely had to break a sweat vs the Flyers.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
And yet Thomas is still held in such high regard for 2011.
He stunk it up in round 1 and almost cost the B's that series. He wasn't that good against the Bolts and barely had to break a sweat vs the Flyers.

tim thomas hasn't always stunk it up, when has crawford EVER approached thomas when he was on ?

of that's right, never.

heretik27

Apr 18, 2013
Winnipeg
Really liked the "clutch statistics" even if it's just for fun. Without needing to know the current stats, it's pretty easy to say that Lundqvist and Price are above the other goalies in terms of experience and dependability. It's not to say some like Holtby aren't playing great, it's just that if you had to choose between Holtby or Lundqvist/Price you're going to pick Lundqvist or Price because they're always dependable. The Caps aren't built around Holtby, they're built around Ovechkin, whereas Montreal and NYR are both built from the goalie out.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
I don't think Price would lose many games if he played on the Blackhawks. It would probably be a little unfair, truthfully.

Price is good but really hasn't proven anything in the NHL. I think Price is a little over rated. Especially by the talking heads here in Canada. Win a cup and I will change my mind.

clmetsfan

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2007
Price is good but really hasn't proven anything in the NHL. I think Price is a little over rated. Especially by the talking heads here in Canada. Win a cup and I will change my mind.

I agree Price has been overrated by Habs fans in the past, but he's going to run away with the Hart and Vezina trophies this year. The fact that he hasn't won a Cup yet means next to nothing when evaluating him as a player.

sharks9

Jan 16, 2012
Canada

By the end of the year he might have 4 NHL awards which counts as proving something

SlapshotTheMovie

Jan 18, 2013
CE715y3W8AAcSQR.jpg

pman25

Aug 29, 2009
Richmond
ah the Price and Lundqvist fanboy trolls have just derailed this.

Holtby is good. Caps need to lock him up long term. Elite goaltender.

SlapshotTheMovie

Jan 18, 2013

Holtby is very good. He definitely stole the series against Boston in 2012. However can you say in full honesty that he was elite last year? He also wasn't very elite in 2013. He was pretty elite this year but 1 year does not make someone an elite goaltender. I imagine he will be but caps fans were saying the same thing about Neuvirth at one point too.

machphantom

Oct 22, 2011
With the series in the rear view, I can fully admit that Holtby looks like he's elevated his game to another level. If he can keep up this level of intensity going forward, there's no reason he can't be a top 5 goalie in the league.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011

so your saying that its the goalies job to score and ensure that out PP isnt 6-7 %.

the habs wont win a cup with no goal support, you could put one of those sheets of plywood that people have to score from center to win a car in nets and the habs would STILL lose., 1-0 or 2-1.

The habs had lots of problems, lots. goaltending wasn't one of the important ones.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world

For all the admiration I bear for Holtby, I don't think it's too hard to understand Price and Lundqvist are a lot more proven... Lundqvist, while I believe he's somewhat on the downswing, has been elite for 10 years. Price has been elite since 2010... Holtby is good and young, but people need to relax. Especially when one of those two goalies is going to win 4 awards and the other just set up a new record for playoff performances.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad