Post-Game Talk: Hollandaise

Coffey

☠️not a homer☠️
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Phase 4 HMV
Well, there are certainly some positive signs so far but I tell myself that we had had 2 victories over 2 of the weaker teams in the league and neither win was of the "convincing blowout"-- variety so let's wait to see how the Eastern road swings goes.
Exactly how I feel.
Luckily squeaking by LA and VAN doesn't fill me with confidence.

The spin will be in full force when they say the third round pick will give them will be a game changer.
:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Reactions: Aerchon

Coffey

☠️not a homer☠️
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Phase 4 HMV
They outplayed LA by quite a lot the score flattered them because of the 2 moronic giveaways by Smith.
I expect more in the year unfortunately.
Although I do with that game woke his ass up and made him realize he doesn't have to play every single puck.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I expect more in the year unfortunately.
Although I do with that game woke his ass up and made him realize he doesn't have to play every single puck.

Aside from those two errors, he's given the Oilers .920 goaltending in net through 2 games.

I mean two in a period is probably an extreme occurrence, that'll get scaled back.

Reactions: TB12 and Mez

ToeMcDrag83

5-14-6-1
Aug 25, 2010
Oil Country
Sheahan in, Cave out would make a big difference.
I think we have 8-9 forwards being effective right now, and Sheahan back could be a bit of a key to the last set bringing it.

Nurse-Bear is very intriguing.
Klef solid. Persson moving the puck nicely.
Russell, and yes Benning after another preseason of horror seem to have settled into that decent bottom pairing to start as well. Keep them there.

Coffey

☠️not a homer☠️
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Phase 4 HMV
Aside from those two errors, he's given the Oilers .920 goaltending in net through 2 games.

I mean two in a period is probably an extreme occurrence, that'll get scaled back.
I hope so brother.
I don't like being this pessimistic, but yea...

Not Canada Drai

♧ Lem
Jul 7, 2019
Edmonton
Sheahan in, Cave out would make a big difference.
I think we have 8-9 forwards being effective right now, and Sheahan back could be a bit of a key to the last set bringing it.

Nurse-Bear is very intriguing.
Klef solid. Persson moving the puck nicely.
Russell, and yes Benning after another preseason of horror seem to have settled into that decent bottom pairing to start as well. Keep them there.

It seems like this happens every year and then he gets the extra 7 minutes because of an injury and everyone wants to kill him, myself included. He's a good player in a 6/7 role playing 10-12 minutes.

Reactions: ToeMcDrag83

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
It seems like this happens every year and then he gets the extra 7 minutes because of an injury and everyone wants to kill him, myself included. He's a good player in a 6/7 role playing 10-12 minutes.

Tippett not trusting Benning with literally a second of special teams play through the first two games has me even more worried for the already overworked top4.

I just don't see the value in a defenseman who plays the 175th most even strength minutes(and likely would have been closer to 185th without Larsson's injury) in the league and absolutely no special teams.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Tippett not trusting Benning with literally a second of special teams play through the first two games has me even more worried for the already overworked top4.

I just don't see the value in a defenseman who plays the 175th most even strength minutes(and likely would have been closer to 185th without Larsson's injury) in the league and absolutely no special teams.

Don't forget it's not even like we are developing Benning, or putting up with his shortcomings for any promises of future potential. He doesn't have the skill or talent to be a big pay off for us. Wasted roster space IMO.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
The Oilers are -23 Corsi 5v5 so far this year. Cave and Khaira are both -20.

Fix that 4th line please :) Hope Sheahan can shift out some turds. Might need to steal some talent from Bakersfield if that's not enough.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario

Fix that 4th line please :) Hope Sheahan can shift out some turds. Might need to steal some talent from Bakersfield if that's not enough.

Don't forget Archibald's -14 in one game.

They need some wingers to step up for Sheahan's wing.

Reactions: oobga

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton

Sheahan Chaisson Archibald in.
Cave Khaira Russell out.
Fixed.

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
I want Draisaitl and McDavid on diffrent lines, it spreads the scoring. Nygård has the first say on first line, until Jurco is ready. I see Jurco as a little higher offensive talent then Nygård. On the other hand, Nygård is a more complete player. But why did we sign Chiasson then? 2 million is quite the pay.

So, the competition is on the R side on 3rd line, wich of Chiasson, Archibald, Granlund, P Russell or even marody will take the price? Its wideopen to grab, The rest is pretty set.

I have no idea why the Oilers signed Chiasson. He hasn’t been able to stick to team thus far in his career. What drives me absolutely nuts is the amount of board battles he loses especially at his size. Another pet peeve is that he is rarely in any scrum. He is not skilled enough for top 6 and not gritty enough for bottom 6.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I have no idea why the Oilers signed Chiasson. He hasn’t been able to stick to team thus far in his career. What drives me absolutely nuts is the amount of board battles he loses especially at his size. Another pet peeve is that he is rarely in any scrum. He is not skilled enough for top 6 and not gritty enough for bottom 6.
They signed Chiasson because he was really good last year. He was out of the line up because of the flu. I suspect he gets back in and Khaira comes out

Edit: I hope that Sheahan is healthy soon so they can waive Cave

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
upload_2019-10-6_20-22-24.jpeg

That’s why.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton

Chaisson has always been a good bottom six player. Last season was an abnormally for him but it showed that he can be versatile when we need him.

Reactions: ujju2

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
True that, but there was no way of knowing he was going to click like that and he has holes in his game. Lets see how he does this year.

My own knock on Chiasson is when he's playing in topsix he's not doing the corner and boardwalk like Kassian or Maroon would. So that McD and Drai end up doing the banging and digging in the corners while Chiasson is sitting pretty in the slot. One of the reasons he got as many goals was he was being served, instead of doing the service. That's a problem as well. Theres never a worry on topline that Kass is going to get his hands dirty. Shouldn't be Leon and Connor doing all the work.

Mcnofool6110

Re-defining Rock Bottom since '07
Dec 7, 2011
Sydney
Yeah dont get the sudden hate for Chiasson. Probably should have scored against the Nucks if not for a ludicrous toe save by Markstrom

MinimaMoralia

May 1, 2015
I wouldn’t mind seeing Currie get a bit of a look in the bottom six while it’s still all getting sorted out. He didn’t look out of place last year, I think he has more to show. Might be able to object a bit of offense.

Reactions: Faelko

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
Maybe I’m not watching him closely enough but I always liked Chiasson because he does a lot of the little things right by my eye. :dunno:

Reactions: LaGu

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Honestly I had a target on Khaira and Cave before the season began... so if that's the type of players that are playing poorly... well they are the ones I expected to be poor so at least the good players are playing ok/good and the mediocre/poor players are playing poorly... so everything is basically going to expectations.

Archibald I expect to be decent in a bottom 6 role... so his under performance in one game may just be an anomaly and maybe even because of effects of the flu to some degree.

Chiasson is a solid middle 6 player, I'm not too worried about him as he was already getting good chances.. just not collecting on them in game 1.

Nygard/Kassian/Haas I think will all perform up to expectations... and possibly even exceed them. I like what I've seen so far and as long as they keep that level of effort up... that makes a solid positive difference in the middle 6 (and potentially even on the top line if Nygard/Kassian play there and can keep up with Drai/McD).

Marody/Benson/Gagner are a pretty solid platoon of players to be able to pick from if players on this club falter and underperform.

I think there's more decent depth (not exceptional depth... but solid options on the wings and up the middle) than this team has had in years.

Better overall speed... and better players who seem to fit (so far) into roles whereas in the past the team was slower and players were being wedged into roles that they obviously couldn't cope with.

The defense group is interesting as well...

Persson
Bear
Bouchard

.. that's 3 decent (but inexperienced) options on the right side and yes Larsson out for months does put pressure on that side... but you also have Klefbom/Nurse/KRussell/Lagesson on the left side and all those players are reasonably experienced (except for Lagesson)... but Lagesson is solid defensively as well.

I think the depth on D overall is improved as well and there are more "types" of dmen now... with Bear/Bouchard/Persson in the mix, whereas there were too many of the same types in past years.

If I'm being boldly honest... maybe the most one dimensional and most suspect vet dman over the past 2 years... Larsson... is injured and while I'm not saying it's a good thing it was him that went down and not another dman... I honestly think his absence will possibly be the easiest to replace.

I also probably think more highly of Starrett than most.. but I think there's a good chance that if one of Smith/Koskinen craps the bed this season... Starrett is likely to come up and look respectable as a backup option.

Overall I'm pretty solidly optimistic about this season.. and have been for a while.

This is a playoff team. You can see it in the way the team is comprised and the depth in different areas... a good mix of different types of players and the lineup is filled with players that aren't too old... and many have something to prove as well.

This is a Vegas-lite team... and playoffs are coming people. Enjoy the season because it's going to be a fun and entertaining ride.

Last edited:

PaPaDee

5-14-6-1
Sep 21, 2005
Saskazoo
Honestly I had a target on Khaira and Cave before the season began... so if that's the type of players that are playing poorly... well they are the ones I expected to be poor so at least the good players are playing ok/good and the mediocre/poor players are playing poorly... so everything is basically going to expectations.

Archibald I expect to be decent in a bottom 6 role... so his under performance in one game may just be an anomaly and maybe even because of effects of the flu to some degree.

Chiasson is a solid middle 6 player, I'm not too worried about him as he was already getting good chances.. just not collecting on them in game 1.

Nygard/Kassian/Haas I think will all perform up to expectations... and possibly even exceed them. I like what I've seen so far and as long as they keep that level of effort up... that makes a solid positive difference in the middle 6 (and potentially even on the top line if Nygard/Kassian play there and can keep up with Drai/McD).

Marody/Benson/Gagner are a pretty solid platoon of players to be able to pick from if players on this club falter and underperform.

I think there's more decent depth (not exceptional depth... but solid options on the wings and up the middle) than this team has had in years.

Better overall speed... and better players who seem to fit (so far) into roles whereas in the past the team was slower and players were being wedged into roles that they obviously couldn't cope with.

The defense group is interesting as well...

Persson
Bear
Bouchard

.. that's 3 decent (but inexperienced) options on the right side and yes Larsson out for months does put pressure on that side... but you also have Klefbom/Nurse/KRussell/Lagesson on the left side and all those players are reasonably experienced (except for Lagesson)... but Lagesson is solid defensively as well.

I think the depth on D depth overall is improved as well and there are more "types" of dmen now... with Bear/Bouchard/Persson in the mix, whereas there were too any of the same types in past years.

If I'm being boldly honest... maybe the most one dimensional and most suspect vet dman over the past 2 years... Larsson... is injured and while I'm not saying it's a good thing it was him that went down and not another dman... but I honestly think his absence will possibly be the easiest to replace.

I also probably think more highly of Starrett than most.. but I think there's a good chance that if one of Smith/Koskinen craps the bed this season... Starrett is likely to come up and look respectable as a backup option.

Overall I'm pretty solidly optimistic about this season.. and have been for a while.

This is a playoff team. You can see it in the way the team is comprised and the depth in different areas... a good mix of different types of players and the lineup is filled with players that aren't too old... and many have something to prove as well.

This is a Vegas-lite team... and playoffs are coming people. Enjoy the season because it's going to be a fun and entertaining ride.

I don’t see it. Our goaltending is suspect, our D was already below average before the Larsson injury and we still probably have the worst wingers in the league.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $220.00