GDT: Holland to address media at 11 AM

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Yes it was very good and lots of insight as I felt there should have been. I should have held my tongue but years of Oiler ineptitude washed over me like a tidal wave when they canceled the live feed for the fans. Twitter reports certainly didn’t tell the story and rarely do.
Even when the GM has thing to say, the org can't even present it properly. It's a microcosm of the team. The good we have is covered up by all the trash and failure.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Even when the GM has thing to say, the org can't even present it properly. It's a microcosm of the team. The good we have is covered up by all the trash and failure.

Yeah but he did far better presenting the circumstance, setting expectations and showing his mindset than any of his predecessors. I was getting pissed off reading tweets but Holland himself was pretty good.

I still for the life of me do not know why they pulled the plug on it though but I suspect Stauffer wanted the Holland exclusive.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
McDavid also gives up a lot of points. He was a -6 this year. If that was the guy who would regularly be leading the ice time, I'm sure Tippett would prefer they outscore their opposition comfortably.
plus minus is a bad stat, it punishes players who play on the powerplay and with empty net situations.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
The fact we picked first 3 times before that?????
Fact that that year, we had 3rd best chance to winning McDavid after Buffalo and Arizona??
Point of the matter, is that if you are picking first overall (or 3rd overall),you must not be a very good team at that point. How you got there is not the point. At that moment in time, you're not very good. So it's the start. It may be yet another start, sadly, but it's the start.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
Despite what people say about Ken Holland, the thing this organization needed most was stability, and he provides it in spades. He also knows a thing or two about having a couple of franchise players and building a team around them.

I remember sitting here before last year and people getting mad because nothing big happened. A bunch of minor acquisitions because he inherited a team with virtually no wiggle room, who didn't start the season well and started getting shat on, and before Christmas said players and Ken Holland were being torched. Then everything from January 1st and on played out the way it did. Some of the league's worst special teams became the league's best. Most of his pickups helped with that. The depth scoring started to come as they gelled, and they were in 2nd in the division on pace to make the playoffs until covid hit.

Sheahan, Ennis, Nygard, Haas, Neal, Archibald. These guys all helped a team that wasn't supposed to even make the playoffs at the preseason turn it around. They overachieved a bit sure, but that's not a bad thing given what Chiarelli left us with. I still think it's too early to write off AA. I think he can contribute in a good way. Green would have been good enough insulation but whatever, shit happens. Was Smith the answer? Of course not. He was never supposed to be, and it really don't matter if people say he sucks, cause he was also a pretty big reason why the team was sitting where they were. An instant playoff tournament four months later without any sort of real warmup is not something people should be freaking out over, but it is a very Oilers thing to do in my honest opinion. I'm very comfortable with Holland at the wheel for this very reason. Because Stability.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
plus minus is a bad stat, it punishes players who play on the powerplay and with empty net situations.
Not when it comes to assessing how a play driving center fares at 5v5. McDavid's line gives up a lot of goals. Give him weaker linemates, you're definitely not helping the cause.

Reactions: rboomercat90

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Not when it comes to assessing how a play driving center fares at 5v5. McDavid's line gives up a lot of goals. Give him weaker linemates, you're definitely not helping the cause.
Plus minus has nothing to do with judging someone 5on5 though.

Look at their 5on5 plus minus if you want to.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Plus minus has nothing to do with judging someone 5on5 though.

Look at their 5on5 plus minus if you want to.
McDavid was close to a 50/50 player at 5 on 5 this season. +/- is a fine statistic when talking about McDavid because he's the reason why things happen when he's out there. The only thing really skewing those numbers would be empty net goals.

And the point I'm trying to make is that McDavid's line doesn't necessarily win. He needs help. Which is why Dave Tippett made the comment about being a one line team. It's also a big reason why sticking with the DRY line may not have paid the dividends people think that it might have.

Geardedandbearded

May 29, 2019
Despite what people say about Ken Holland, the thing this organization needed most was stability, and he provides it in spades. He also knows a thing or two about having a couple of franchise players and building a team around them.

I remember sitting here before last year and people getting mad because nothing big happened. A bunch of minor acquisitions because he inherited a team with virtually no wiggle room, who didn't start the season well and started getting shat on, and before Christmas said players and Ken Holland were being torched. Then everything from January 1st and on played out the way it did. Some of the league's worst special teams became the league's best. Most of his pickups helped with that. The depth scoring started to come as they gelled, and they were in 2nd in the division on pace to make the playoffs until covid hit.

Sheahan, Ennis, Nygard, Haas, Neal, Archibald. These guys all helped a team that wasn't supposed to even make the playoffs at the preseason turn it around. They overachieved a bit sure, but that's not a bad thing given what Chiarelli left us with. I still think it's too early to write off AA. I think he can contribute in a good way. Green would have been good enough insulation but whatever, shit happens. Was Smith the answer? Of course not. He was never supposed to be, and it really don't matter if people say he sucks, cause he was also a pretty big reason why the team was sitting where they were. An instant playoff tournament four months later without any sort of real warmup is not something people should be freaking out over, but it is a very Oilers thing to do in my honest opinion. I'm very comfortable with Holland at the wheel for this very reason. Because Stability.

We’re literally the hossa/kovalchuck era Atlanta thrashers

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

tardigrade81

Jun 12, 2019
Saskatchewan
I hear you! I think many of us are reactive right now - Oil under achieve; Flamers win; and this franchise has done little to earn trust. Hearing Ken Holland speak - in context, not sound bytes - gives me reassurance of the elite and experienced mind finally running the organization. I liked also that he talked about reconnecting with this team's leadership group again (McDavid, Draisaitl, Nurse & Nuge mentioned) to discuss the team. He got everyone's reactive feedback after a tough loss and smart and self-assured enough to circle back to the leaders for more insight as they try to shape this team moving forward.

This moment stings. But listening to Holland I'm inclined to buy-in to this team having the right leadership to succeed. But it most def won't be easy and for all of us wading through foreverness of mediocrity yet more patience is a tough pill. :)

EDIT: Won't be enough for everyone and I totally get the level of frustration that exists given the historic ineptitude endured. I'm hopeful though.
Well said

whiskey does definitely help with this.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
McDavid was close to a 50/50 player at 5 on 5 this season. +/- is a fine statistic when talking about McDavid because he's the reason why things happen when he's out there. The only thing really skewing those numbers would be empty net goals.

And the point I'm trying to make is that McDavid's line doesn't necessarily win. He needs help. Which is why Dave Tippett made the comment about being a one line team. It's also a big reason why sticking with the DRY line may not have paid the dividends people think that it might have.
Oddly (or maybe not) Draisaitl and McDavid were both much better at 5-on-5 when they stopped playing on the same line. Together they were -2. Draisaitl on his own line was +9 and McDavid was +6. All of their advanced metrics improved as well.

Line Stats - Natural Stat Trick

December was a horrible month for them (outscored 14-2) and the team:

Here are their numbers from when they were permanently split up (NYE) until the stoppage:

McDavid was +1 over the last 2.5 months, Draisaitl was +15.

Last edited:

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013

This!

Splitting up the DRY line was a necessity. I can't believe that people don't get that. Successful teams in this leagues don't put 1 good player on one line and 3 on another. You go with duos, and there is no guarantee that the DRY line would have fared any better this series, especially if it meant cratering McDavid's line as part of that.

And Holland acknowledged that his AA acquisition failed, because the whole purpose of it was to keep the DRY line together and get McDavid at least one top six winger in the process. So really, if fans want to complain about the DRY line, you should really be lamenting that AA didn't pan out.

This is why I am comfortable with the idea of trading one of Nurse or Klefbom. All you have to do is have a little faith in Jones, and that will mean that we have a real asset we can shop around the league to get a PROVEN winger for McDavid, and not a project. A cost controlled and relatively young winger. (ie not overpaying for a veteran FA like Hoffman)

Last edited:

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
A cost controlled and relatively young winger. (ie not overpaying for a veteran FA like Hoffman)

The thing that pisses me off, is on a team like Montreal, pretty much EVERY forward on their roster was on pace to score at least 10 goals.

Even when the entire league passed on Kovalchuk for free, he goes and scored 6 goals in 22 games (22 goal pace).

What the hell are we doing wrong?

Every forward on this roster has to score at least 10 goals. If they can't do that, then they're not NHLers.

Khaira is not an NHLer.
Haas is not an NHLer
Sheahan is borderline

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Pretty decent interview. Some good insights. I think some people expect him to make a bunch of bold statements but I don’t think its wise.

I think the thing that I like most is that he gives his time. He answers the questions. He puts some thought into his answers and it feels he’s prepared before coming into it. It just doesn’t feel like hes in a rush to catch a plane or something.

space321

May 11, 2011
Just here to remind everyone that saying the right thing =/= doing the right thing. Don't forget how easily most of you were won over every time Chiarelli said something lol. Judge Holland not based on what he says, but what he does from here on out. Already more minuses than plusses in my book this past season, hopefully he doesn't continue that trend.

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton
Just here to remind everyone that saying the right thing =/= doing the right thing. Don't forget how easily most of you were won over every time Chiarelli said something lol. Judge Holland not based on what he says, but what he does from here on out. Already more minuses than plusses in my book this past season, hopefully he doesn't continue that trend.
Which minuses would those be? AA is still a work in progress I’ll give you that one. Green is not his fault. Nobody saw the Pandemic stopping play when he made the trade and we can’t blame Green or Holland that he didn’t feel safe playing. Smith was one of the main reasons we were where we were at the stoppage. So what did he do that was so bad? Kassian signing?

Reactions: TB12

KlefDown

I adore Soli
May 2, 2014
going to sound like matty here but I also do not like the fact that Oilers did not hold a season ending players presser

Tavares and Matthews answered a lot of hard questions today on theirs and those same questions should be asked to our leadership group

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
going to sound like matty here but I also do not like the fact that Oilers did not hold a season ending players presser

Tavares and Matthews answered a lot of hard questions today on theirs and those same questions should be asked to our leadership group
What would Drai and McDavid say? We put up ridiculous points but our goalie / defence couldn’t keep a beach ball out of the net?

KlefDown

I adore Soli
May 2, 2014
What would Drai and McDavid say? We put up ridiculous points but our goalie / defence couldn’t keep a beach ball out of the net?
a lot of things. reflecting on their seasons, how they see this team moving forward, what needs to change etc etc

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I think they should give AA a shot on a line with McDavid next season, and keep him there for an extended period. Honestly, if Ennis recovers and they sign him, I'd go with both of them on McDavid's line (provided they don't sign anyone else). Put the offensive players with the best offensive player on the team, and play them like a second line.

I really liked what I saw from AA in the playoffs, I think if they give him half a season to get comfortable he's going to be alright. He should've scored a couple in the elimination game, and looked a lot more confident. I think there's a decent chance that he has a better season next year than this year, so if they have to move him they might be able to get more than two second rounders for him.

I dont see this at all. McD and AA are two players that don't use linemates well. They are both puck missiles going off but I don't see the synergy. I see instead risks that these two on the same line would both get caught forwards lots of times on aborted missile strikes. I mean these are both fast break players but neither are all that good at maintaining ozone control. I could see a lot of chaos with those two. You'd definitely need a very responsible third on that line looking after NZ.

I didn't really like what AA brought because I tend to be results orientated. Bottom line is AA didn't produce, and he's had close to 10 games with us already where he wasn't into it. Nor do I think he was good in every game this series. Even with his odd forays at net when he's off his finish just leaves him. He's had multiple sets in his career where he is snakebit and he's very much a hot/cold player. This is part of who he is and we're seeing cold. But such players are not reliable, you can't count on him, and if he even scored a couple times the series might e different.

Lets keep in mind as well that AA played 2 games with drai and Leon got zero setups in that span. AA botched every play he had with Leon involving a scoring chance. Of all of Yama, Ennis, AA, Leon got the least help from AA. I mean even Ennis passed for a Drai goal and got another pass for a goal. AA cashed nothing, and he was involved in zero scoring plays.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
I'm also very curious to see all these minuses you speak of.

With no cap space, turning Looch into 20 goal Neal and flipping the special teams from worst to first in under 1 season. 10ish games of AA isn't enough to write him off as a franchise crushing blow, and neither was Mike green.

Beyond that I'm interested to know how you think he did so terribly in such a short time given the team he inherited last year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad