GDT: Holland to address media at 11 AM

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
How many teams are going to be lining up to pay a guy that couldn't get anything going on the Oilers?

His best bet is to swallow his pride and stay in Edmonton. Try get your game back on track and play for a 21-22 contract.
Tonnes, for the same reason the Oilers picked him up, he scored 30 2 years ago. Teams that have cap like Columbus, who was competing with us to get him 15 games ago, Ottawa who has tonnes of cap with very little NHL players, Detroit who would love to get him back and their 2 second round picks to boot. Tonnes of teams would be interested if he hit UFA. If he’s signing a discounted contract, it won’t be in Edmonton.

He was arguably one of if not our best player in game 2 of that series, people see the talent he has, he just hasn’t fit here. But NHL teams would love to take him on a short term low dollar deal. His value hasn’t cratered after 14 bad games.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Tonnes, for the same reason the Oilers picked him up, he scored 30 2 years ago. Teams that have cap like Columbus, who was competing with us to get him 15 games ago, Ottawa who has tonnes of cap with very little NHL players, Detroit who would love to get him back and their 2 second round picks to boot. Tonnes of teams would be interested if he hit UFA. If he’s signing a discounted contract, it won’t be in Edmonton.

He was arguably one of if not our best player in game 2 of that series, people see the talent he has, he just hasn’t fit here. But NHL teams would love to take him on a short term low dollar deal. His value hasn’t cratered after 14 bad games.

Yeah, there's not a ton of great winger options on the open market either.

Maybe if Taylor Hall says he's willing to sign a reasonable deal to play here, OK.

Then I would look at moving Athansiou and Kassian or Russell to create cap room. Otherwise no.

Delicious Pancakes

Top Pocket Find
Apr 23, 2012
Home
AA is still under team control so let’s see where this goes before we write off the picks. I maintain the position that AA was a better bet than Gagner.

I think AA has potential, but he doesn't mesh so far in the Oilers top 6. Holland paid a premium for AA at the trade deadline so he's most likely going to take a loss if he tries to trade him now after not producing with the Oilers. If AA stays with the Oilers and continues not to produce Holland won't be able to recoup that value at next year's trade deadline either.

People thought AA would be a good buy low candidate but 2 2nd rounders was not really buying low given the circumstances and you would have hoped that Holland had a good sense of the player and who he would fit with given his time as the Wings GM. Big swing and a big miss.

If you don't give him a QO he becomes an FA. Will AA accept an offer less than his QO when he can become an FA? Possibly given the flat cap, possibly not. I guess we'll see how this plays out but AA has been a poor gamble so far. Do I have a solution? Nope. It's just a shit f***in sandwich and I don't like it. Hopefully if he stays he turns it around, but this team is in win now mode and if you're going to spend valuable assets like 2nd rounders then FFS spend them on the right guy.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Holland really needs to sit down with Tippett and see what he thinks of AA. If he's not an everyday third liner that can move up into the top 6 at times then you can't qualify him.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Staple Athansiou to McDavid's wing next year. Don't do anything rash if they don't produce immediately.

They will start scoring eventually. McDavid is simply too good of a player for some other stiff to not eventually start getting some points.

Tippett needs to resist the temptation of blendering the lines constantly in the regular season though.

Not keeping Ennis/Athansiou on one steady line from the trade deadline onwards I think was a mistake and it cost us when Tippett tried then to break up the RNH-Drai-Yamo line.

Oildrum

Jan 22, 2013
Sunk cost fallacy with AA. Doesn't matter what we paid, if we can resign for a good price then great otherwise you get what you can for him and move on.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
Yeah, there's not a ton of great winger options on the open market either.

Maybe if Taylor Hall says he's willing to sign a reasonable deal to play here, OK.

Then I would look at moving Athansiou and Kassian or Russell to create cap room. Otherwise no.
Our issue isn’t high end players like Hall coming here to help either. If Hall comes here who gets pushed off the Poweplay? He plays Mcdavids position normally on the PP, and your not paying a winger 6-7M and giving him no PP time.

We need players like Pitt got in Kunitz and Dupius and etc.. very good complementary FWD who can be had for cheaper and can be given roles on the team. Knock Chia all you want but he picked up 1 in Maroon, we need to try to make similar deals to that, and look for players on the fringe of other lineups who can help. For example Fabbri was had for virtually nothing last year and had a good year.

I would target Conor Sheary if I was Holland, very good complimentary player, Pitt wants to shake it up and are cap strapped so I’d bet he goes to UFA.

Players of that type that will get squeezed out from the Flat cap and could be had for cheap.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Our issue isn’t high end players like Hall coming here to help either. If Hall comes here who gets pushed off the Poweplay? He plays Mcdavids position normally on the PP, and your not paying a winger 6-7M and giving him no PP time.

We need players like Pitt got in Kunitz and Dupius and etc.. very good complementary FWD who can be had for cheaper and can be given roles on the team. Knock Chia all you want but he picked up 1 in Maroon, we need to try to make similar deals to that, and look for players on the fringe of other lineups who can help. For example Fabbri was had for virtually nothing last year and had a good year.

I would target Conor Sheary if I was Holland, very good complimentary player, Pitt wants to shake it up and are cap strapped so I’d bet he goes to UFA.

Players of that type that will get squeezed out from the Flat cap and could be had for cheap.

Those players are acquired over years and years though. Maybe the Oilers should look at picking up Maroon on a cheap deal if he's open to that.

If you have Athansiou + McDavid on one line you can afford to have one slow player on the line, it's not a big deal.

Reactions: joestevens29

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
Those players are acquired over years and years though. Maybe the Oilers should look at picking up Maroon on a cheap deal if he's open to that.

If you have Athansiou + McDavid on one line you can afford to have one slow player on the line, it's not a big deal.
Agreed, and I’m not even talking years and years to acquire those players, we just named 2 who can be had as cheap UFA’s this offseason in Maroon and Sheary where our money is better spent than on players like Hall, who isn’t a wise investment.

We’re going to have a tonne of cap invested in Drai/Mcdavid/RNH after his next deal/ and possibly Yamo. Can’t afford a top $ deal and hope to fill out the rest of the team.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
They apparently want to get younger. My guess is they look to deal Hornqvist and try to figure anything out on Johnson or Bjugstad. The bottom falling out on Murray this year really screwed them.
Malkin and Crosby simply needed to be better IMO.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton

Full clip was posted.

Just listened to the entire press conference and all I gotta say is this;

3948B273-260A-4D94-A6DC-3F9DFCF0E16E.gif

PS. That’s @Del Preston to my right.

wingsfan17

Jan 20, 2008

this is the kind of backwards ass thinking that is going to be his downfall

This is what Kenny did on the wings all the time. Guys like Nyquist, Tatar, Smith wouldn’t become full time NHLers until five years after their draft, because he wanted to play veterans like dan cleary and drew miller. And these were guys who were very hyped up as prospects. Larkin is pretty much his only exception. I truly believe this stunted the growth of tons of prospects in the wings’ system.

Reactions: KlefDown

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Oilers did far better than I expected this year. On paper that roster looked horrible, but then we had the emergence of Bear and Yamamoto which really, really helped. It's not often you suddenly have two guys come in as a top4 d and top6 fwd internally out of nowhere like that. Still a lot of work to be done but Holland and Tippett did a good job in their first season. Just hope they can continue to build on that and not take a step backwards next season.

Really, really hope Holland addresses the defense because it's simply not good enough. Desperately need someone who can move the puck and provide some offense. Move out Russell and potentially Larsson too. I'd listen to offers on AA as well. Very disappointing player who just doesn't mesh with the talent we have here. Try and recoup some picks and keep building.

I don't think the Oilers are that far off from being a sustainably good team. Just need to add a puck-mover on defense, get a starting goaltender and add some forward depth. No real major moves are required. Just some shrewd smaller moves.

I think what the Oilers are missing though is a true general on the backend. Someone who keeps guys accountable and leads by example. We don't really have any veteran leadership on the roster period. I think the 'culture' is still lacking on this team. They just don't have that winning mindset that teams like Blues, Bruins, Bolts etc have, or even the Hawks with guys like Keith, Kane, Toews. That experience and leadership counts. We could really use a veteran D to rein in Klefbom and Nurse.

Imagine Pietrangelo on this team...a man can dream. Who would we need to move out to make it work cap wise? Would it be enough with Russell, Larsson and AA?

Last edited:

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Have listened to Holland's full presser & Oilers Now interview.

Refreshing to have an elite veteran GM with humility and great communications skill articulate his thoughts. He'll never give the specifics of what he intends or hopes to do to move this team forward but his philosophy comes across loud and clear with honest, measured responses. Holland and Tippett deserve massive props for moving the needle big time this year.

We heard the critical importance of veteran players - Pro's Pros who are like role models and coaches. Talked of adding bottom six veteran people to the lineup. His decision making - "don't be in this business if you don't like criticism." He's not afraid from making decisions & is realistic that bad decisions will happen - you need to make more better ones than bad ones. Didn't shy away from AA not meeting expectation as a deadline acquisition. Spoke of the challenge of moving into the elites (after this team made a huge jump in all measures this year). And how Detroit's successes had many disappointments with a clear eye assessment of his legacy including criticism of holding on/paying veterans.

There is a plan. There is hope. There is still much to do. But I have confidence personally in the Holland/Tippett crew to best navigate this franchise moving ahead. Can't expect the exponential growth of this regular season and Covid Cap limits what can be done. Will be interesting...

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
This is what Kenny did on the wings all the time. Guys like Nyquist, Tatar, Smith wouldn’t become full time NHLers until five years after their draft, because he wanted to play veterans like dan cleary and drew miller. And these were guys who were very hyped up as prospects. Larkin is pretty much his only exception. I truly believe this stunted the growth of tons of prospects in the wings’ system.
I think there is something else missing here though that needs to be mentioned. Broberg is going back to Sweden and will more than likely play the whole year their. Once done they will look and see if he should go to the AHL or the NHL. Bouchard is in North America and has shown well in the AHL. Well enough to get a cup of coffee.

How he worded it really didn't help things, but looking at what Holland said a week ago about Broberg and the plan for him this really all does make sense.

And to be honest I kind of hope when Broberg does come over that their isn't room for yet another rookie. I'm hoping he'll have to wait like KY did this year as well as others.

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
I think they should give AA a shot on a line with McDavid next season, and keep him there for an extended period. Honestly, if Ennis recovers and they sign him, I'd go with both of them on McDavid's line (provided they don't sign anyone else). Put the offensive players with the best offensive player on the team, and play them like a second line.

I really liked what I saw from AA in the playoffs, I think if they give him half a season to get comfortable he's going to be alright. He should've scored a couple in the elimination game, and looked a lot more confident. I think there's a decent chance that he has a better season next year than this year, so if they have to move him they might be able to get more than two second rounders for him.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Have listened to Holland's full presser & Oilers Now interview.

Refreshing to have an elite veteran GM with humility and great communications skill articulate his thoughts. He'll never give the specifics of what he intends or hopes to do to move this team forward but his philosophy comes across loud and clear with honest, measured responses. Holland and Tippett deserve massive props for moving the needle big time this year.

We heard the critical importance of veteran players - Pro's Pros who are like role models and coaches. Talked of adding bottom six veteran people to the lineup. His decision making - "don't be in this business if you don't like criticism." He's not afraid from making decisions & is realistic that bad decisions will happen - you need to make more better ones than bad ones. Didn't shy away from AA not meeting expectation as a deadline acquisition. Spoke of the challenge of moving into the elites (after this team made a huge jump in all measures this year). And how Detroit's successes had many disappointments with a clear eye assessment of his legacy including criticism of holding on/paying veterans.

There is a plan. There is hope. There is still much to do. But I have confidence personally in the Holland/Tippett crew to best navigate this franchise moving ahead. Can't expect the exponential growth of this regular season and Covid Cap limits what can be done. Will be interesting...

Yes it was very good and lots of insight as I felt there should have been. I should have held my tongue but years of Oiler ineptitude washed over me like a tidal wave when they canceled the live feed for the fans. Twitter reports certainly didn’t tell the story and rarely do.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Yes it was very good and lots of insight as I felt there should have been. I should have held my tongue but years of Oiler ineptitude washed over me like a tidal wave when they canceled the live feed for the fans. Twitter reports certainly didn’t tell the story and rarely do.

I hear you! I think many of us are reactive right now - Oil under achieve; Flamers win; and this franchise has done little to earn trust. Hearing Ken Holland speak - in context, not sound bytes - gives me reassurance of the elite and experienced mind finally running the organization. I liked also that he talked about reconnecting with this team's leadership group again (McDavid, Draisaitl, Nurse & Nuge mentioned) to discuss the team. He got everyone's reactive feedback after a tough loss and smart and self-assured enough to circle back to the leaders for more insight as they try to shape this team moving forward.

This moment stings. But listening to Holland I'm inclined to buy-in to this team having the right leadership to succeed. But it most def won't be easy and for all of us wading through foreverness of mediocrity yet more patience is a tough pill. :)

EDIT: Won't be enough for everyone and I totally get the level of frustration that exists given the historic ineptitude endured. I'm hopeful though.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Lecce vs Udinese
    Lecce vs Udinese
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $200.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $1,214.00