GDT: Holland to address media at 11 AM

space321

May 11, 2011
I'm also very curious to see all these minuses you speak of.

With no cap space, turning Looch into 20 goal Neal and flipping the special teams from worst to first in under 1 season. 10ish games of AA isn't enough to write him off as a franchise crushing blow, and neither was Mike green.

Beyond that I'm interested to know how you think he did so terribly in such a short time given the team he inherited last year.

Kassian contract, AA trades are big minuses. Trading Lucic for Neal, don't forget we retained salary. We're gonna have to pay Seattle to take Neal off our hands next year.

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton
Kassian contract, AA trades are big minuses. Trading Lucic for Neal, don't forget we retained salary. We're gonna have to pay Seattle to take Neal off our hands next year.
The difference in the salary in negligible when you consider we don’t have to protect Neal. This allows us to protect the guys we want to. It ensures that we don’t lose a quality player to Seattle while Calgary does have to protect an aging glorified nuclear deterrent and will most definitely lose a quality player to the Kraken. Win win.

Reactions: joestevens29

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
Is there a new 50-50 burger at least for next year?

50% meat
50% good, like the team
Is there a new 50-50 burger at least for next year?

50% meat
50% good, like the team

ML_5050_Burger_360x360.png

:sarcasm:

Reactions: BlackDogg

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
There's no way for you to spin the Neal/Lucic swap in a negative way whatsoever. At least in my opinion, so agree to disagree there.

Reactions: joestevens29

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
On Hank, I guess John Davidson had a conversation pretty much as soon as Hank got off the plane.

I'm assuming at this point it's feeling the guy out to see what his thoughts are. Suspect that will lead to Davidson telling Hank we need to move you, will you give us a list of teams. If that doesn't work, they'll probably go the buyout way.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
AA trade still too early to call one way or another
need to give him a full training camp before we call it a failure
the guy did show flashes against the Hawks

Reactions: Llamamoto

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
The difference in the salary in negligible when you consider we don’t have to protect Neal. This allows us to protect the guys we want to. It ensures that we don’t lose a quality player to Seattle while Calgary does have to protect an aging glorified nuclear deterrent and will most definitely lose a quality player to the Kraken. Win win.
This was always the hope with a trade involving Lucic. Cleary up a spot for the expansion draft. Add to it Neal was pretty decent for us and I have no complaints.

Weitz

Sep 23, 2014

There is zero chance Lucic doesn't waive.

space321

May 11, 2011
There's no way for you to spin the Neal/Lucic swap in a negative way whatsoever. At least in my opinion, so agree to disagree there.

It's not negative. Just not as good as people think. Also, I said overall there's more minuses than plusses, not that there's no plusses.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
It's not negative. Just not as good as people think. Also, I said overall there's more minuses than plusses, not that there's no plusses.
At the end of the day the team overachieved on most people's expectations this year.

Add as many pluses or minuses as you want, but if they did better than expected that's all that matters.

Reactions: TB12

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton
Other then the AA deal which is still TBD I can’t see what minuses you are talking about. Kassian contract will payoff in the end once the fans are back in the seats. His biggest issue this playoffs was the lack of fans. The guy feeds off the energy of the crowd. He’s always been that way going all the way back to his Sabre days. Some players just need the circus and Kassian is one of them.

Reactions: TB12

tardigrade81

Jun 12, 2019
Saskatchewan
We so desperately need that gamble to pay off if that's the plan. A cheap dependable goalie would be such a blessing
Wouldn’t that be nice! And I completely agree about getting a decent goalie for cheap or a good price. If we go out and get a Price like goalie who costs a fortune, we will never build the defense. Now maybe that isn’t a big deal if the goalie is that good. But if we go after someone like Murray for big bucks, I could see that back firing horribly.

yukoner88

Dec 16, 2009
Dawson City, YT
Wouldn’t that be nice! And I completely agree about getting a decent goalie for cheap or a good price. If we go out and get a Price like goalie who costs a fortune, we will never build the defense. Now maybe that isn’t a big deal if the goalie is that good. But if we go after someone like Murray for big bucks, I could see that back firing horribly.

If we get Murray, I hope Katz has a good deal on duct tape cause we're going to need it

Reactions: tardigrade81

KlefDown

I adore Soli
May 2, 2014
It's honestly painful to see these games being played in Rogers place. I am not enjoying hub city at all

space321

May 11, 2011
Other then the AA deal which is still TBD I can’t see what minuses you are talking about. Kassian contract will payoff in the end once the fans are back in the seats. His biggest issue this playoffs was the lack of fans. The guy feeds off the energy of the crowd. He’s always been that way going all the way back to his Sabre days. Some players just need the circus and Kassian is one of them.

Reminds me when people thought Larsson would become a top pairing dman lol, whatever makes you sleep at night

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
McDavid was close to a 50/50 player at 5 on 5 this season. +/- is a fine statistic when talking about McDavid because he's the reason why things happen when he's out there. The only thing really skewing those numbers would be empty net goals.

And the point I'm trying to make is that McDavid's line doesn't necessarily win. He needs help. Which is why Dave Tippett made the comment about being a one line team. It's also a big reason why sticking with the DRY line may not have paid the dividends people think that it might have.
McDavid was +4 5 vs 5 this year. But that was skewed by the horrid month of December which was in good part on the goaltenders as McDavid's On ice SV% was .887. Eliminate December and he is a +10 over the rest of the year 5 vs 5.

But I also think it is a mistake to believe that he should perform with any old plugs. This team needs one more skilled winger who can put the put in the net.

Last edited:

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton
Reminds me when people thought Larsson would become a top pairing dman lol, whatever makes you sleep at night
Please explain what I said that was wrong? It’s not the same as Larson getting better at all. Kassian feeds of the crowd it not about him getting better than he is it’s about his intensity gained by the fans. Are you sure you are a fan of the team? Everything I see you post is negative.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad