Post-Game Talk: Holland shits out his mouth.

Oildrum

Jan 22, 2013
I don't think Nicholson pulls the plug on Holland because it makes him look bad. Only way we get change is if Katz gets involved, but does he even show up to games anymore without Gretzky to sip wine with in his luxury box?

StargateSG1

Nov 26, 2016
I actually feel for you guys...
Kenny Holland was the last thing you needed.
He has no clue what he is doing since the Salary Cap arrived.

Reactions: Czechboy

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Just Neal and Sekera. There's no limit though. I think you're thinking of salary retentions like Lucic.

Yeah you are right . Not thinking clearly . A bad year for me . 1st my dad had a stoke , then my dog died , She was my baby . Now my daughter got covid . On top of that I can't even get lost in a Hockey game . Oilers are sucking now anyways .

Reactions: Czechboy

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I actually feel for you guys...
Kenny Holland was the last thing you needed.
He has no clue what he is doing since the Salary Cap arrived.

There is some merit in that, for him and a few others. Detroit was one of the few teams in the league that had big, big money behind them and an owner with the willingness to use it. The never lost a guy to a competitor over $$$'s (that I can remember), and while managing their assets well and into a perennial powerhouse, the fact remains that paying their best guys top dollar while attracting others with the cheque book remained their biggest assets. Once the cap era came, it was only a matter of time for them to regress, along with the aging of their stars.

jukon

NHL Point Leader
Mar 17, 2011
Holland seems to be stuck in this "good players who are too old to play good anymore" ideal. Why? Because Chelios played until he was 100? Because Lidstrom was pretty good until his retirement?

This ideal, plus no actual pro scouts, and no real analytics department make for a Chiarelli sized embarrassment.

YakDavid

Dec 12, 2010
After reading the transcripts I don’t get the point of the press conference. Yes there is support to the team and Tippett but realistically how much can you fall after this before changes

StargateSG1

Nov 26, 2016
Holland seems to be stuck in this "good players who are too old to play good anymore" ideal. Why? Because Chelios played until he was 100? Because Lidstrom was pretty good until his retirement?

This ideal, plus no actual pro scouts, and no real analytics department make for a Chiarelli sized embarrassment.
That's what he does.. Overpays and over terms mediocre veterans.
At some point he had 9 unmovable long term contracts on the books in Detroit,
instead of starting a rebuild.
That's according to even the lapdog local media.

Louis Cypher

Boys are back in town
Jun 11, 2007
Holland won a cup in the Salary Cap Era. Not sure what people are on about stating the contrary.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
So not firing Tippett, possibly signing Kane? I’ll give it a few games as maybe this lights a fire under the team I guess but I’m very close to bailing on this season. I’ve barely even paid attention the last month and a half as is. Lol.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
After reading the transcripts I don’t get the point of the press conference. Yes there is support to the team and Tippett but realistically how much can you fall after this before changes

To give breadcrumbs about signing Kane :sarcasm:

yukoner88

Dec 16, 2009
Dawson City, YT
Sitting in a highway delay caused by either an accident or by strippers selling coffee.

Dare i ask what the low down was of today's presser?

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
We need substantially better goaltending too. But substantially better is at least an average NHL starter. Not broken Smith or below average backup like we have now. But replacing the goalie is much easier than replacing 3/4 of our top defenders.
I just mean if the defensive play wasn't any better in 2016 and they only made a run because of Talbot they clearly have a problem with playing defense.
We need substantially better goaltending too. But substantially better is at least an average NHL starter. Not broken Smith or below average backup like we have now. But replacing the goalie is much easier than replacing 3/4 of our top defenders.
Clearly not :naughty:

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC
Press Conference Translation - We’re open to trading for playoff scoring depth but we’re not doing another Ethan Bear trade again.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
He is a decent backup. Although he singed in Vancouver with a full NMC so I feel like Edmonton wasn't an option for him either.

I think 'decent backup' is a bit of an undersell.
Bobrovsky, Price, Fleury, Gibson and Andersen.
Thats the entire list goalies that have played as many games as Halak in the last decade that have a higher SV%. He's had 7 seasons of 40+ starts.

Guys been criminally underrated his whole career.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Late to the party, had to work today. But it sounds from bits I've read on here, that Holland 's message was, "I had a lot of success in Detroit, so I think I know a bit about winning."

At least he doesn't separate fans into different tiers. We're making SOME progress here.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I think 'decent backup' is a bit of an undersell.
Bobrovsky, Price, Fleury, Gibson and Andersen.
Thats the entire list goalies that have played as many games as Halak in the last decade that have a higher SV%. He's had 7 seasons of 40+ starts.

Guys been criminally underrated his whole career.
He was a starter but can't handle that work load anymore.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Sitting in a highway delay caused by either an accident or by strippers selling coffee.

Dare i ask what the low down was of today's presser?

I drove one mile to the Mall yesterday and crossed path with 4 accidents in that space. its uncanny. I sympathize with your profession always. So many drivers out there that are apparently abjectly incompetent. That simply can't drive. The road conditions weren't even bad. But it was the first school day back since the holidays and I wonder how much that factored in.

Mack a doodle doo

Apr 16, 2016
It's Official Ken Holland is Senile!

Time to retire or get fired.

He is now owning this entire tire fire and his head on the chopping block now.

Why even hold a presser?
he's in no way owning this, keeps going on about his Detroit day's and how trades are hawd. The entire old boys club have no shame.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad