Post-Game Talk: Holland shits out his mouth.

Louis Cypher

Boys are back in town
Jun 11, 2007
Ah yes the evil genius keeping the cards to himself theory. This one really did give me an LOL moment.
I could look back on ANY comment thread after any GM presser throughout the league and the comments would be the same because most GMs say the same thing. Pretty much nothing. They know better than to give the press anything to run with. And the comments from the fans will be same them losing their shit just like here. :laugh:

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Holland isn't going to tell the pinhead media and the fans what his real plans are. He's not going to say he's firing the coach or been trying to trade Koskinen for 1000 days. Give your head a shake. MacT was the one who would tell the media all his plans. LOL
*3 months later*
"Of course he didn't do anything. He straight up told us he wouldn't. Why were you guys expecting anything more! Give your head a shake."

Reactions: Forgot About Drai

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Holland has done nothing to fix the team and has outright ignored obvious holes like goaltending. It would be hard to do a worse job than he has done. And now he is doubling down on the do nothing attitude about the goaltending….even the coach can’t stand it anymore..

I'm hardly endorsing Holland. But again thank Chiarelli for the rogue goaltending buy high contract for Koskinen where he apparently outbid himself to land a largely unproven NHL tender at NHL tender starter money, $4.5 million x 3. No Costco deal.

Holland went value shopping and at least found a salvage deal with ancient Mike Smith who was solid for two years. I've been on the get elite goaltending as priority 1 kick for years. This team's continuing effort to patchwork the most position with retreads is a major part in holding it back for years. But when the past genius in the room leaves you in Cap jail including a horrible money and term deal for Koskinen.. well... you don't get what you paid for.

Personally, I think Holland and Tippett are giving this a five to ten game widow to see if bandaid Smith can be healthy and, if that maybe, helps to reset Koskinen's game to reasonably inconsistent level with less work. Skinner is a soft Plan B who can be brought up. But again, I think this team needs an elite goaltender if it wants to compete for long playoff runs.

Reactions: 94 Oil Drops

Forgot About Drai

Dr Drai the Second
Jul 10, 2009
Edmonton
Holland isn't going to tell the pinhead media and the fans what his real plans are. He's not going to say he's firing the coach or been trying to trade Koskinen for 1000 days. Give your head a shake. MacT was the one who would tell the media all his plans. LOL

Ive literally heard this excuse everytime Holland opens his mouth. And each time he basically lives up to exactly what he said in the media. The one example I can think of where he deviated from what he said to the media is the AA trade deadline move. Thats it.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
“I obviously built the team; whatever happens is on me”

And with those words at the presser, we'll see if he is a man of his word. If this team continues to plummet and miss the playoffs, even after they get all of their guys out of the infirmary, I wonder if he'll honour what he said.

Reactions: Beerfish

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
“I obviously built the team; whatever happens is on me”

And with those words at the presser, we'll see if he is a man of his word. If this team continues to plummet and miss the playoffs, even after they get all of their guys out of the infirmary, I wonder if he'll honour what he said.

LOL, all the good pieces of the team he had nothing to do with. All the trash yes he brought in.

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
Nah. Chiarelli blasted this team back to the Stone Age by the time they took away his keys. Holland may be running in spot with his off-season work and poor trades but there's two years of progressive improvement with players from all past poor management maturing into peak years core players. Chiarelli's mess hollowed out the NHL roster that left holes everywhere and no quality depth.

But there isn’t any improvement. It’s regression. Chiarelli left the team with an incredibly shitty GF%of 38 when 97/29 are not on the ice. Holland has brought that down to a ridiculous 22% this year. That’s worse than Buffalo. At this point, Chiarelli would be an upgrade. I also disagree with you on he left no quality depth. Chiarelli did get the drafting right.

Reactions: MessierII

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
But there isn’t any improvement. It’s regression. Chiarelli left the team with an incredibly shitty GF%of 38 when 97/29 are not on the ice. Holland has brought that down to a ridiculous 22% this year. That’s worse than Buffalo. At this point, Chiarelli would be an upgrade. I also disagree with you on he left no quality depth. Chiarelli did get the drafting right.
Chiarelli wouldn’t be an upgrade as he would of signed more terrible contracts and we would have less prospects and assets as he would blow them on like Nolan Patrick or something.

Chiarelli actively hurt the team in every way except drafting whatever picks he kept. Holland simply isn’t doing enough and brings in bad depth players. If a new GM took over today they would be in a much better spot than Holland was in.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver

Yes agreed there is regression in bottom six. However had Chiarelli not cratered and hollowed out this team's depth during his time this would be a deeper, better built and more production team throughout its lineup. Betting a 1st and high 2rd on hope Reinhart would work out to fill a chronic issue at D robbed this team of two high prospect talent pieces who likely are on today's roster. Other Chiarelli trades I mentioned turned productive NHL players into dust (Strome to Spooner to Gagner to Nothing).
Imagine Strome is kept and not thrown away in a GM death spiral panic move. Chiarelli sewered this team's NHL depth and capped out along with an unmoveable goalie contract.

Holland's work has been marginal. But this team had(s) holes throughout its roster then lost its #1 defenseman Klefbom last year to likely career ending injury. Then Larsson to free agent so he became reactive having to reshape this d-corp which had been looking somewhat balanced and promising. It goes from Larsson and Keith 2nd pairing to a complete re-shape including spinning surplus Bear to try to bring in a quality bottom six winger.

EDIT: Holland's tried to carve around the edges with some cheap, short-term gambles to build out depth. Archibald delivered. The Euros mostly did not. Perlini is a current spin to win gamble.

Reactions: TB12

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
The "built this team" thing is a little funny to me too.

If you make a list and rank the players by importance to the team, you probably have to get to the 7th most important player before you get someone brought in by Holland unless you count Smith who is only important because Holland refused to actually address goaltending.

It's like saying you built your house because you did a shitty bathroom reno and bought some used furniture.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I will give the man a little bit of rope though. His best dman finally packed it in after years of abuse on his body. That's an awful large hole to fill. And we talk about a crappy bottom six, but arguably the best guy on there decided not to get vaxxed and then got knocked out before the season even started.

Reactions: TB12

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
Chiarelli wouldn’t be an upgrade as he would of signed more terrible contracts and we would have less prospects and assets as he would blow them on like Nolan Patrick or something.

Chiarelli actively hurt the team in every way except drafting whatever picks he kept. Holland simply isn’t doing enough and brings in bad depth players. If a new GM took over today they would be in a much better spot than Holland was in.

What? Look at how many draft picks he has given away already!

SpitfireG

Sep 29, 2013
So Kulikov was passable as top 4 Dman for us last season? righttt.
The only issue with Keith deal is Holland's inability to get CHI to retain 50% . He is a good addition to the team otherwise.

Kulikov is probably one of the best defensive Def by ratio Value per money in the league

He's like a good wine taking age after 30 play a better game year per year

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
So Holland was a massive mistake from day 1. Total loser that got a job because he was friends with our OBC.

Tippett should have been fired the moment this regular season started going off the rails because Tippett is a well known craptastic coach in the playoffs. SO if he cant get you to the playoffs AND he is terrible in the playoffs he should be fired asap.

The more losses the more chance Tippett has to be fired. Too little too late but it would honestly make me feel better. I was dreading waiting a whole regular season just to watch Tippett get embarrassed in round one and blame everyone but himself for the third time.

Now, no matter how many losses the Oilers pile up I dont think Holland will be fired but it truly impresses me to hear so many fans realising what an old washed up vacuum salesman that hasn't belonged in the NHl for a decade he really is. He is getting his reckoning. He was absolutely a disaster that was run out of Detroit and in a world where shaming people IS wrong. He deserves some. He wrecked the Detroit Red Wings and he is wrecking the Oilers. When pundits were saying the Oilers couldn't get any worse Holland said "hold my beer, I got this".

The franchise has entered an embarrassing era of hockey once again and it is directly due to mismanagement. Right now every media shill is puckering up to lick brass anus but I'm eagerly waiting when they go from turd shining to knives out.

Tippett has to be fired asap, and "everyone" knows it.

Holland was the wrong hire and has to be fired, and "everyone" knows it.

Bob Nicholson and everyone responsible for hiring Holland need to be fired, and "everyone" knows it.

I reluctantly but officially on board with losing because the more losses we get the more the fantasy for cleaning out the real problems within this franchise becomes a reality.

The sooner it gets done the better everyone will feel. If it gets done before the next game the team a has a legit shot at making the playoffs even with no roster changes IMO. The players will absolutely get a boost knowing these cheddar heads are no longer their bosses. As Holland himself has alluded to, the problem is not in the dressing room. Accountability needs to be real from top to bottom before this team can move forward but key management fires will go a long long ways.

I assume Katz has enough market analysis to realise the fans are and will be abandoning their team in a way that will hurt his pocket book even if only marginally.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad