Confirmed with Link: Hoffman Signs: 1 Year at $4M

AjaxManifesto

Pro sports is becoming predictable and boring
Mar 9, 2016
St. Louis
Well no the discussions were not in this thread. I think it was either in the Blues main thread, the trade rumors thread, or the around the NHL thread. Regardless, it had been discussed prior to this announcement.

As for the case itself, here are a few sources that outline the current status of the issue:

Court records show events before Karlsson-Hoffman dispute made public | Ottawa Citizen

Melinda Karlsson will not be forced to turn cyberbullying evidence over to Monika Caryk | Ottawa Citizen

edit:

Here's the thread:

Free Agency Discussion 2020-21 Part II

Man...like a Jerry Springer show.

Honestly, who really knows what happened other than the two women themselves. I think as a Blues community we welcome in Mike Hoffman and his significant other (if she's still around) and move on with life. 20 years ago (before social media) this kind of stuff wouldn't have quite the life it does now.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Do we have enough experienced depth on the left side to deal Dunn?
At this point don't see us dealing him unless another D comes back. We are signing Hoffman to fill hole up front and if we want to deal Dunn for pick or prospect this isn't the time.

Zezel’s Pretzels

May 25, 2019
Man...like a Jerry Springer show.

Honestly, who really knows what happened other than the two women themselves. I think as a Blues community we welcome in Mike Hoffman and his significant other (if she's still around) and move on with life. 20 years ago (before social media) this kind of stuff wouldn't have quite the life it does now.

you mean like Shanahan and Janney?

Reactions: badmoth

Renard

Nov 14, 2011
St. Louis, MO
At this point don't see us dealing him unless another D comes back. We are signing Hoffman to fill hole up front and if we want to deal Dunn for pick or prospect this isn't the time.

I really like Dunn's offensive ability and I hope we find a way to keep him. The best is yet to come from him.

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
Someone actually knowing how to shoot a one-timer off Thomas' slick passes is just what he needs.

Absolutely. I wonder if they will consider pairing up Hoffman and Thomas at even strength. Depends whether coach wants to stack the top two lines or spread out the scoring. Either way, our lineup is going to be stacked!

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
$4M is a great number to land at. Time for some lazy cap math. Since we don't know exactly how LTIR will be utilized, this is just an estimate.

A 23 man roster of ROR, Schenn, Schwartz, Tarasenko, Hoffman, Perron, Thomas, Sunny, Bozak, Sanford, Blais, Barby, Clifford, MacMac, Faulk, Krug, Parayko, Scandella, Dunn, Gunnar, Bortz, Binner, Husso comes to $82.1M. Plugging Kyrou in for any forward on that list saves at least $141k. Plugging Mikkola in for any D on that list saves about $210k (assuming the replaced player is placed in the minors, it saves more if they are traded/claimed).

Assuming we get the full LTIR relief for Steen all season (which we should be able to swing), then we are pretty damn close to making the cap work without any additional moves if/when Tarasenko is ready to return. If/when he is ready, we can add Tarasenko to the lineup and be cap compliant simply by running a 22 man roster. I wouldn't be surprised if we see a mid-season trade based on a young guy taking a spot from a vet. If we don't see that, then I wouldn't be surprised to see a decent player lost to waivers (Gunnar, Clifford, MacMac are probably the 3 candidates). I still haven't seen waiver rules for the taxi squad*, so maybe not.

But regardless, this contract coming in at $4M instead of $4.5M (and Dun coming in below $2M) means that our backs are not against the wall to get cap compliant if Tarasenko can return. This is phenomenal news.

*I know guys have to clear waivers to go to the taxi squad. What I'm unclear on is whether they have to go through waivers every time they go to the taxi squad or if the 30-day rule for AHL assignments is in play. I see arguments for both since there will likely be a number of teams trying to game the cap by moving guys on and off the taxi squad with regularity.

Last edited:

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
$4M is a great number to land at. Time for some lazy cap math. Since we don't know exactly how LTIR will be utilized, this is just an estimate.

A 23 man roster of ROR, Schenn, Schwartz, Tarasenko, Hoffman, Perron, Thomas, Sunny, Bozak, Sanford, Blais, Barby, Clifford, MacMac, Faulk, Krug, Parayko, Scandella, Dunn, Gunnar, Bortz, Binner, Husso comes to $82.1M. Plugging Kyrou in for any forward on that list saves at least $141k. Plugging Mikkola in for any D on that list saves about $210k (assuming the replaced player is placed in the minors, it saves more if they are traded/claimed).

Assuming we get the full LTIR relief for Steen all season (which we should be able to swing), then we are pretty damn close to making the cap work without any additional moves if/when Tarasenko is ready to return. If/when he is ready, we can add Tarasenko to the lineup and be cap compliant simply by running a 22 man roster. I wouldn't be surprised if we see a mid-season trade based on a young guy taking a spot from a vet. If we don't see that, then I wouldn't be surprised to see a decent player lost to waivers (Gunnar, Clifford, MacMac are probably the 3 candidates). I still haven't seen waiver rules for the taxi squad*, so maybe not.

But regardless, this contract coming in at $4M instead of $4.5M (and Dun coming in below $2M) means that our backs are not against the wall to get cap compliant if Tarasenko can return. This is phenomenal news.

*I know guys have to clear waivers to go to the taxi squad. What I'm unclear on is whether they have to go through waivers every time they go to the taxi squad or if the 30-day rule for AHL assignments is in play. I see arguments for both since there will likely be a number of teams trying to game the cap by moving guys on and off the taxi squad with regularity.
I’m imagining a world where Kyrou is a solid top 9 player AND Tarasenko is ready to be an effective player, added to a healthy roster. I can’t figure out the lines, but someone good gets put on the 4th line.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad