Confirmed with Link: Hoffman Signs: 1 Year at $4M

BlueKnight

Apr 19, 2015
Alberta, Canada
Sure I might complain but with Hoffman I do have a legitimate beef with him and I was merely backing up Ranksu by saying how awful he is, Because he is awful. Hoffman better get his head screwed on straight and do something.

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
I don't get why some people are freaking out over Hoffman's uninspired play. I mean, what did you all expect? It's Mike freaking Hoffman! It is not like he's ever going to morph into a two-way winger when he isn't scoring. He is exactly what I thought he would be for us. The goals will eventually come, and those goals will help us. In the meantime, and whenever he is not scoring, he will contribute ... nothing. I am surprised that anyone expected anything more.

Last edited:

GoldenSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
I think it’s ok to criticize players who aren’t playing well. Players go through cycles. Hoffman will probably pick it up eventually. Kyrou will cool down eventually. And we will talk about it.

I’m praying that Kyrou stays Kyrou

Pizza!Pizza!

Sep 25, 2018
1 year contract, its almost better that he has the slow start so that they either aren't tempted to keep him or his price drops significantly. In the meantime, the Blues are playing fine and winning with him in a slump, if he starts scoring at this normal place the Blues will be so over the top that people might finally STFU about The Colorado MacRantaCog's.

Reactions: TK 421 and mike1320

WATTAGE4451

Jan 4, 2018
Sanford has 1 g and 1 assist while playing on the first line.

Hoffman has 1g and 3 assists while playing on the 3rd line.

Hoffman sucks defensively but he isnt even the worst producer. He should switch spots with sanford right now. See if opportunities with oreilly and perron cam get him scoring.

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017

Hoffman sucks defensively but he isnt even the worst producer. He should switch spots with sanford right now. See if opportunities with oreilly and perron cam get him scoring.

I'm not sure how much ROR and Perron would like playing with one of our worst defensive forwards, considering that is our #1 shutdown line.

Sure, Hoffman has two more points than Sanford but one of Hoffman's "assists" happened when the puck hit his skate and went right to Blais, so I don't really consider that 2-point difference to be significant. I've seen Sanford make more good plays than Hoffman so far this year. They can go ahead and try it, but I don't know if we need a floater on our #1 defensive line.

GoldenSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West

This isn’t a bad idea. One thing I’ve noticed about Hoffman is that chemistry heavily affects him. If there’s a combination that ignites his scoring, use it.

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
We doin’ a little better now?

upload_2021-2-2_19-50-33.gif

AjaxManifesto

Pro sports is becoming predictable and boring
Mar 9, 2016
St. Louis

I like watching the Junkman play. He's really gelling with 90 and 57.

Reactions: Zamadoo

Mogo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2002
Hoffman had slow starts with us too. He's pretty meh 5 on 5. He has his moments when he decides to play some defensive play too. Not often. But

Once he gets going on the PP he's very good offensively and usually his 5 on 5 production goes up a bit too

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
His goal last night was a prime example of what you hope to get out of Hoffman. Jeff Marek talks about the concept of "easy goals" a lot regarding Phil Kessel and I think it is really applicable to all one-dimensional shooters. His premise is that guys who can beat a goalie on a shot like that can provide an "easy goal" for your team when the team is struggling to generate scoring chances. Most goals in the today's NHL are the result of 2-3 good passes, an extended cycle, a deflection or chaos in front. All of those things require multiple guys executing in concert and you don't get many of these types of chances when a team isn't clicking. Marek's point is that a shooter's value is felt when these things aren't clicking. An elite shooter can get your team an "easy goal" that doesn't require the chemistry and the team execution normally required to beat an NHL goalie.

That was a hell of a shot last night and it came at a time when our team was struggling to string passes together or generate anything other than the "muffins" Panger was talking about. It is really, really hard to beat a goalie short side from that angle at the top of the circle. Tying the game late in the 1st when shots were 11-5 gave us a spark and we really started humming after that. We were generating very little up to that point and getting an "easy goal" helped us find our game. We dominated for the next 35 minutes, outshooting them 23-15 between Hoffman's goal and the 5 minute mark of the 3rd (and outscoring them 3-1).

He doesn't contribute much when he isn't scoring goals, but that shot last night is exactly what you pay him for.

Last edited:

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
His goal last night was a prime example of what you hope to get out of Hoffman. Jeff Marek talks about the concept of "easy goals" a lot regarding Phil Kessel and I think it is really applicable to all one dimensional shooters. His premise is that guys who can beat a goalie on a shot like that can provide an "easy goal" for your team when the team is struggling to generate scoring chances. Most goals in the today's NHL are the result of 2-3 good passes, an extended cycle, a deflection or chaos in front. All of those things require multiple guys executing in concert and you don't get many of these types of chances when a team isn't clicking. Marek's point is that a shooter's value is felt when these things aren't clicking. An elite shooter can get your team an "easy goal" that doesn't require the chemistry and the team execution normally required to beat an NHL goalie.

That was a hell of a shot last night and it came at a time when our team was struggling to string passes together or generate anything other than the "muffins" Panger was talking about. It is really, really hard to beat a goalie short side from that angle at the top of the circle. Tying the game late in the 1st when shots were 11-5 gave us a spark and we really started humming after that. We were generating very little up to that point and getting an "easy goal" helped us find our game. We dominated for the next 35 minutes, outshooting them 23-15 between Hoffman's goal and the 5 minute mark of the 3rd (and outscoring them 3-1).

He doesn't contribute much when he isn't scoring goals, but that shot last night is exactly what you pay him for.
He is one dimensional, but that one dimension is pretty dang valuable.

Stupendous Yappi

Any famous last words? Not yet!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
His goal last night was a prime example of what you hope to get out of Hoffman. Jeff Marek talks about the concept of "easy goals" a lot regarding Phil Kessel and I think it is really applicable to all one-dimensional shooters. His premise is that guys who can beat a goalie on a shot like that can provide an "easy goal" for your team when the team is struggling to generate scoring chances. Most goals in the today's NHL are the result of 2-3 good passes, an extended cycle, a deflection or chaos in front. All of those things require multiple guys executing in concert and you don't get many of these types of chances when a team isn't clicking. Marek's point is that a shooter's value is felt when these things aren't clicking. An elite shooter can get your team an "easy goal" that doesn't require the chemistry and the team execution normally required to beat an NHL goalie.

What surprised me about the goal was that he carried the puck from the defensive zone and set up his own chance. It wasn’t a simple one-timer. I don’t expect him to create his own shot as much, but if he could accomplish that with any consistency he’d be more valuable.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
What surprised me about the goal was that he carried the puck from the defensive zone and set up his own chance. It wasn’t a simple one-timer. I don’t expect him to create his own shot as much, but if he could accomplish that with any consistency he’d be more valuable.
I don't think we can count on defenders falling down at their own blue line too often. His shot was great, but he skated to that area of the ice fully uncontested. I don't expect him to create a bunch of his own chances, but I expect him to be able to take advantage of windows with a quick release.

Reactions: Stupendous Yappi

Stupendous Yappi

Any famous last words? Not yet!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
I don't think we can count on defenders falling down at their own blue line too often. His shot was great, but he skated to that area of the ice fully uncontested. I don't expect him to create a bunch of his own chances, but I expect him to be able to take advantage of windows with a quick release.
Agreed, but you could also give Hoffman credit for scaring the defender enough to force him into a misstep. More likely it was a random accident, but accidents like that happen more often against talented players.

WATTAGE4451

Jan 4, 2018
Agreed, but you could also give Hoffman credit for scaring the defender enough to force him into a misstep. More likely it was a random accident, but accidents like that happen more often against talented players.
Some opinions on this thread have aged well

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad