Confirmed with Link: Hoffman Signs: 1 Year at $4M

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
Lots of good opinions here. Overall I feel really good about this move for two reasons: we absolutely needed another guy who can be relied on to score goals and it's great that top free agents want to play in STL. I have high hopes for Kyrou, Sanford, Thomas, Blais to continue to develop but signing Hoffman means we don't have to rely on these young guys too much. It also gives us a ton of flexibility in terms of line combinations. He would fit in the top 6, or paired with Thomas/Bozak to make 3 lines that can do some damage.

I had always thought that Hoffman was more of a RW but looking online he seems to play LW more often?

JoshFromMO

Apr 6, 2015
Missoura
I want to believe Hoffman will see what it takes to win and step up the 2 way play like Hull in Dallas but even if he's JUST a 20+ goal offensive machine it'll be nice to see more chances going in

BlueMed

Jul 18, 2019
Still looks like a solid lineup with that said I still have my questions about the state of the team and I still don't see this team being a legit stanley cup contender. I don't see the Blues making the playoffs this season considering a shortened season and most likely starting out slow because of new players.

This is the deepest forward group in Blues history, and you don't see the Blues making the playoffs, especially in the division they are in? Yeah, call me crazy when I say people on this forum downplay the Blues. People "expect" the worst so if the Blues falter, they can fall back on their predictions and say "I told you so." If the Blues win, they'll be happy anyways. Sounds like a real Blues fan to me...

Reactions: CaliforniaBlues310

Chojin

Tiny Panger...
Apr 6, 2011
That has been discussed and I think it's quite clear that the situation has been resolved.

At this point, there isn't anything that links Hoffman, nor his girlfriend, to the harassing messages.

Huh, weird I didn't see it in this thread. Anyway, I'll have to take your word for it; I didn't follow the story that closely after it broke.

Bluesnatic27

Aug 5, 2011
Huh, weird I didn't see it in this thread. Anyway, I'll have to take your word for it; I didn't follow the story that closely after it broke.
Well no the discussions were not in this thread. I think it was either in the Blues main thread, the trade rumors thread, or the around the NHL thread. Regardless, it had been discussed prior to this announcement.

As for the case itself, here are a few sources that outline the current status of the issue:

Court records show events before Karlsson-Hoffman dispute made public | Ottawa Citizen

Melinda Karlsson will not be forced to turn cyberbullying evidence over to Monika Caryk | Ottawa Citizen

edit:

Here's the thread:

Free Agency Discussion 2020-21 Part II

Last edited:
Reactions: Chojin

Ginger Papa

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2019
Quesnel, B.C.
Hi folks,
I’ve been spending my time in the WJC’s Threads and missed the news yesterday. What a clever way to work around the Cap issue to address your top 6 need. Well done by GMDA! I’ve honestly never seen this before.
3660FD0E-7144-4390-946E-23136417912B.gif

You have so many great 2 way forwards that I suspect that Hoffman’s liabilities may not be exposed like they were in Florida. Hopefully that’s the case. Congratulations on landing a sniper.

Chojin

Tiny Panger...
Apr 6, 2011
At any rate, I like the signing (assuming someone doesn't swoop in before it's official); it's low risk, reasonable dollars, and really good insurance for a season with COVID and without Steen (and Tarasenko for who knows how long).

Reactions: Vladys Gumption

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
I saw something on Twitter earlier that the deal was rumored to be for $4.5M for 1 year. Looking at our current cap situation, and ignoring the timing effect of when it is signed relative to the LTIR impact, it seems like we would have to be signing Dunn to a deal of $1M or less, and that we would need to run a forward short on the roster. For example, if Kyrou or DLR are the 13th F on the roster (meaning MacMac and the other are on the taxi squad) and we sign Dunn for $1M and Hoffman for $4.5M is show that we would still have $200K-$300K of space. If MacMac is the 13th F, we have less than $100K of wiggle room. It will be interesting to see how this shakes out, but I have to think that if we are waiting until the end of camp to sign Hoffman we are probably doing so with Dunn as well.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
I saw something on Twitter earlier that the deal was rumored to be for $4.5M for 1 year. Looking at our current cap situation, and ignoring the timing effect of when it is signed relative to the LTIR impact, it seems like we would have to be signing Dunn to a deal of $1M or less, and that we would need to run a forward short on the roster. For example, if Kyrou or DLR are the 13th F on the roster (meaning MacMac and the other are on the taxi squad) and we sign Dunn for $1M and Hoffman for $4.5M is show that we would still have $200K-$300K of space. If MacMac is the 13th F, we have less than $100K of wiggle room. It will be interesting to see how this shakes out, but I have to think that if we are waiting until the end of camp to sign Hoffman we are probably doing so with Dunn as well.
JR keeps speculating $2.5mm on Dunn. I don’t see it unless we get 2-3years. Probably around $1mm on a 1 year deal.

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
Very surprised and very pleasantly so seeing how Army has handled the loss of Pietro.

I can’t really fault Army for much over the past 2-3 years. Scandella term and dollars was a bit generous but he looked fantastic in the stretch with Parayko.

This Hoffman add imo is massive as well as being win-win. There really is zero risk involved with this from the way I see it. Very excited to see how this new group plays together. Gone are the days of wondering if the Blues would ever figure out their secondary scoring issues.

Reactions: mike1320

Zizzle

Oct 29, 2019
I like this move alot. I would not count on Tank much if any this year. People say Hoffman is one dimensional and that may be the case but if you throw him on the line with ROR and Perron he will be fine. Schenn and Schwartz have decent chemistry and I would likely put Kyro or Sanford with them, although Thomas too.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
I like this move alot. I would not count on Tank much if any this year. People say Hoffman is one dimensional and that may be the case but if you throw him on the line with ROR and Perron he will be fine. Schenn and Schwartz have decent chemistry and I would likely put Kyro or Sanford with them, although Thomas too.
That 1 dimension is quite a valuable 1.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
You are not wrong about the math, but all of your calculations are based on Tarasenko being in the lineup and just Steen on LTIR. We have plenty of room for any Dunn contract while Tarasenko is on LTIR too.

I think there is a pretty good chance that Army is comfortable starting the year with a cap situation that doesn't allow Tarasenko to return from LTIR without a mid-season move. We still don't have clarity on taxi squads and how those will work in relation to the cap calculation and waivers. The answer to that question may allow us extra flexibility. A mid-season injury that requires LTIR could occur and render any additional cap management unnecessary. If they aren't close to a Dunn extension already, we might find a trade return appealing enough to move him. Or we could use Dunn's lack of leverage to low-ball him like crazy and test-drive Mikkola/Perunovich while he holds out.

We are in good shape with the cap and with our internal prospect depth at D. Our need to get Dunn on the roster by the start of the season isn't as large as his need to accrue a season of NHL experience (and a paycheck). He is pretty obviously not in our long-term plans, so Army doesn't have much reason not to exercise every ounce of leverage.

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007
I still expect Dunn to be dealt at some point this season and had it been a normal year he would have been moved already.

execwrite1

Mar 30, 2018
Like the Hoffman move. Acquiring another D-man? Sure.

No player will determine this season more than Binnington. It's all on him.

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
Good pick up and I expect the contract is written and waiting for the ink on the signature line for when the LTIR kicks in.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad