Hockeys back!

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
I don't think we can offer Lipon a contract or invite him to camp. The agreement between CHL and NHL should still be in place and once players are assigned to juniors, they'll stay there.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
Hey... just realized. With the shortened season, how much of it will be played inter-division?

We better learn quickly how to beat our division rivals.

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm
Hey... just realized. With the shortened season, how much of it will be played inter-division?

We better learn quickly how to beat our division rivals.
Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie
No question target is 50-game, not 48-game, season. Speculation is it would be 5 games vs 4 division rivals and 3 games vs 10 Conf rivals.

Looks like it.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie
No question target is 50-game, not 48-game, season. Speculation is it would be 5 games vs 4 division rivals and 3 games vs 10 Conf rivals.

Looks like it.

That's scary. I think Vancouver finishes fourth in the division. It's like playoff hockey for 50 games and older teams aren't going to do the damage they usually do. With Edmonton consistantly getting better and most of their players playing all year I honestly think they are great this year. I think they finish first in the NW. Second and third will be between the avs and Minny

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
That's scary. I think Vancouver finishes fourth in the division. It's like playoff hockey for 50 games and older teams aren't going to do the damage they usually do. With Edmonton consistantly getting better and most of their players playing all year I honestly think they are great this year. I think they finish first in the NW. Second and third will be between the avs and Minny

I see what you're saying about Edmonton, and I would agree that they very well could be dangerous.

But call me a homer all you'd like, but I think that with a good lot of our core players already having played several games this year, the Avalanche could be positioned for a good run this year.

Varlamov has played stellar in the KHL, most likely helping his confidence and whatnot. Duchene, by all accounts, has played relatively well in Sweden and especially in Switzerland, and had a great Spengler Cup, helping his confidence out as well.

We never heard much about Stastny, but I believe that someone posted his stats in the DEL and they were really good considering the league and everything. And O'Reilly has had some decent games in the KHL as well.

I realize that Landeskog hasn't played since leaving Sweden, but I don't doubt that he's going to have a good year.

I really think that the Avalanche could turn some heads this year. The only downfall, and this will be for any team, not just the Avs, will be that a slow start will most assuredly doom any team this year, as a 48/50 game season just isn't long enough to compensate for a poor start.

Hennessy

Ye Jacobites, by name
Dec 20, 2006
On my keister
I thought they'd more or less settled on the 48-game season, with 7x4 divisional games, and home+home series within the rest of the conference.

7 games against the division seems excessive, but with a shortened season like this I think it works. Would make the regular season that much more urgent.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
We'll use this thread to track confirmed details of the new CBA while we wait for the release of the official document. The BoH mods will update the OP as new/better information comes to light. All general CBA discussion will remain in the sticky'd Lockout thread we currently have up. Feel free to post updates (with sources of course) here and the mods will update this summary in turn.

Salary Cap
Y1: 60M ceiling but teams can spend up to $70.2M, 44M floor
Y2: 64.3M ceiling, 44M floor
Y3 - Y10: Players will receive 50% of HRR. Ceiling may not drop below 64.3M. Cap floor remains 16M below ceiling
No cap on escrow
Cap escalator

Contracts
7 year max. 8 years if re-signing with same team
Max 35% variance year-over-year
Max 50% variance between lowest year and highest year of contract

Make Whole Provision
Players will receive $300 million in transition payments over three years

Pension
Switched to Defined Benefit Plan, paid for out of NHLPA share. Any losses from fund will be covered by NHL share

Arbitration
Teams may not walk away from award unless award is at least 3.5M (Clarke MacArthur Clause)

Revenue Sharing
$200M, increasing with revenue growth
$60M "Industry Growth Fund", funded by NHL and NHLPA over 3 years and replenished as needed

Compliance Buyouts
2 per team, that can be used over the next two off-seasons, counting against players' share of HRR

Salary Retention in Trades
Teams permitted to retain up to $5M in a trade
Max retention of $3M for a single player

Supplemental Discipline
Brendan Shanahan is still the first judge
Appeals for suspensions of 1-5 games will be heard by Gary Bettman
Appeals for suspensions of 6+ games will be heard by neutral third party arbiter

Draft Lottery
All 14 non-playoff teams will have a shot at the #1 overall pick

Misc
10 year CBA with opt-out clause for each side that kicks in after Y8
Start of free agency period remains July 1
No decision regarding realignment has yet to be made for this or next season
Olympic participation will be decided by joint NHL-NHLPA committee on a future date outside of CBA framework
Minimum player salary is 525k (2011 rate) but will grow to 750k by Y9 and Y10 of new CBA
No changes to eligibility for salary arbitration or free agency

Sources:
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/nhl-lockout-deal-details-league-moves-salary-cap-121911659--nhl.html#more-47414
http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2013/01/06/here-are-details-of-the-nhls-new-cba/
http://www.defendingbigd.com/2013/1/6/3841842/nhl-cba-details-nhlpa-collective-bargaining-agreement
http://sports.nationalpost.com/2013/01/06/nhl-lockout-ends-and-now-begins-the-long-hard-work-to-repair-the-damage/

Nice list from the Business forum of current changes.

Looks like the Avs could stash the compliance buyouts until next offseason if they wanted to save them.

The arbitration ruling is very interesting.

Draft lottery is stupid imo.

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City
I thought they'd more or less settled on the 48-game season, with 7x4 divisional games, and home+home series within the rest of the conference.

7 games against the division seems excessive, but with a shortened season like this I think it works. Would make the regular season that much more urgent.

Yeah I heard that too. 48 games. Ill bring on the hammer of doom and say the more games
against MIN, EDM, CGY, and VAN will just sink this team this year. Plus didnt we have like a spectacular record against the east last year, so there goes those points. Still I cant wait till the 19th or so.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002

Edmonton could be very good but their defense is going to have to play better AND they better get very good goaltending from Dubnyk/Khabibulin or else they'll be out of the playoffs. Their offense should be top-10 maybe even top-5 in the league but they still have question marks in the middle. After RNH, they have Horcoff and Sam Gagner which seem to be trending in the wrong direction.

Still too many question marks for my taste, I think they'll improve again but won't make the playoffs.

Vancouver's time to contend for the cup is now and I doubt very seriously that a playoff spot is even in jeopardy with the overall team and experience they have. The only way that happens is if they completely botch the Luongo deal and Schneider can't stop a beachball. (<- although I DO think that the Luongo trade will end up biting them in the ass)

The Wild's defense won't be good enough but when Brodin and Dumba join their club, they'll be a force as long as Granlund comes as advertised. I don't think this year will be their year though, I lump them in with the Avs as a playoff bubble team.

The Flames are likely going to be a disaster. I predict a last place finish in the division. Unfortunately for them, they'll still be good enough to just miss the playoffs...again. Wideman will cost more goals than he actually contributes on the PP and there will be pressure to prove that the cap hit of $5.25M was a smart move (lol) and I expect him to play a lot. Apparently, the guy they had penciled in as the 2nd line center, Roman Cervenka, has a blood clot condition and there are issues with him coming to North America. So they are looking at converting 2 wingers into centermen to start the year (Mike 'me,myself and I' Cammalleri and Hudler)

The hiring of Hartley should give them a boost but I don't think it will be enough.

That's the way I see our division...apart from Vancouver, it's pretty much wide open.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
Is that in the CBA? I thought that was only for this year.

Would be better if it was only this year. I just quoted their informative post though so I don't know.

I've been a proponent of 'mini-drafts' every 5-6 picks, allowing 5-6 teams per year to move up within their own bracket.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
Is that in the CBA? I thought that was only for this year.

Nice list from the Business forum of current changes.

Looks like the Avs could stash the compliance buyouts until next offseason if they wanted to save them.

The arbitration ruling is very interesting.

Draft lottery is stupid imo.

Why is it stupid? It's still weighted in favor of teams finishing last, second last, etc... except now it gives all non-playoff teams a shot at the #1 pick. I like it, personally...I don't think it takes away too much and it creates more excitement for the lottery itself.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
For any Marek Svatos fans out there...

Rich Evans ‏@Hockeyagent

After sitting out a year to heal from injuries, Marek Svatos will be attending camp with the Florida Panthers.

Best of luck in Florida Marek!

member 116861

Svatos will be attending the Panthers training camp!

:D

Edit: Damn I was beat by RL, I didn't see the post above mine.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Why is it stupid? It's still weighted in favor of teams finishing last, second last, etc... except now it gives all non-playoff teams a shot at the #1 pick. I like it, personally...I don't think it takes away too much and it creates more excitement for the lottery itself.

Pro: No more teams like Edmonton and Pittsburgh winning franchise lotteries more than once.
Con: A great team like New York Rangers could miss the playoffs by one point and have a chance win (even though small one) the lottery.

The best news is its still weighed, but I still have my doubts. Maybe I am afraid of change because it sounds like the NBA lottery and that is basically garbage.

Also good luck to Svatos, love him.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007

It would (if used every year) be a virtually useless addition that causes a once in a decade potential swing in the draft, pushing a team which by no means deserves the pick anymore than a bad team to #1 overall.

Imagine if we finished 9th in the conference and won the lottery pick. We'd love it, but how in the world would it be fair for a young, potential-filled team like ours to get the #1 overall pick over a worse team?

I think a tiered lottery is fairer for all AND adds more excitement. If anything were to be changed, it should be more than this one-off decision which will likely never happen in the first several years it is used anyways.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Edmonton had one of the best PPs in the league last year, so I'm not sure how many more wins they can get from special teams.

It's hard to predict what happens in a short season. You need a strong start and solid goaltending. I do think Vancouver still should be favorites in NW, assuming Schneider can handle a heavy work load. After that I think all teams have about the same chance.

viach

Aug 5, 2007
Another avs former for the Panthers or via trade....:amazed:

Svatos, McLean, Wolski, Fleischmann, Parros, Mueller, Theodore, Ozolinsh, Worrell, Pitlick (just invited in training camp), Messier E., Nedorost, Gratton C.,and maybe others !!!

member 116861

I stopped reading after this.

solid drafting and some smart trading has left the team with a great core of talent and all of it under the age of 30.

EJ and Varly suck.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad