Hockeys back!

Hennessy

Ye Jacobites, by name
Dec 20, 2006
On my keister
Really not a fan of the 2 compliance buyouts per team. Lets irresponsible teams who should be punished for the risks they took get off with nary a bruise. Part of all that loophole BS was that the new CBA might make them regret what they were pulling. But, no. They get to wash their hands of it, and at no cost to the cap.

falconski

Unregistered User
Jan 21, 2008
:handclap:

most important question: EJ gets his own room, so who is lando rooming with now :scared:

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
Avs are getting a new Jumbotron per Dater

:party:

What this shows me is that Stan the man is willing to spend money. I don't think Stan likes losing, and I know he likes to make money. Stan knows the best way to make money is to improve the facility and to win.

I think all those years of us bashing Stan for not spending money are going to be a thing of the past. I also think we as fans are going to be happy that we didn't spend all that money during the last CBA. We've been put in a great place, and I expect that we will take advantage.

ColoradoSportsFan

Jul 16, 2005
Denver, Colorado
What this shows me is that Stan the man is willing to spend money. I don't think Stan likes losing, and I know he likes to make money. Stan knows the best way to make money is to improve the facility and to win.

I think all those years of us bashing Stan for not spending money are going to be a thing of the past. I also think we as fans are going to be happy that we didn't spend all that money during the last CBA. We've been put in a great place, and I expect that we will take advantage.
Not to mention he's an opportunist. The Avs have just as good a chance as anyone to compete in the shortened season. We could be players in both free agency and at the trade deadline.

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
I'm really think that Duchene will come back with a much more polished defensive game, and establish himself as one of the more dangerous penalty killers in the league. I don't think his offensive production will be through the roof, but he'll have increased confidence and just look more dangerous every shift, with or without production.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007

Don't they share the arena with the Nuggets? Seems more likely his son decided to support them than us tbh. But nice to hear either way.

chewey

May 27, 2008
Near You!
I'm really think that Duchene will come back with a much more polished defensive game, and establish himself as one of the more dangerous penalty killers in the league. I don't think his offensive production will be through the roof, but he'll have increased confidence and just look more dangerous every shift, with or without production.

Put your money where your avatar/username is.

You pick. I say Duchene won't sniff 'dangerous penalty killers' title. :)

ColoradoSportsFan

Jul 16, 2005
Denver, Colorado
Hope your right. But even if he doesn't he'll get a pass because of the shortened season.

Frenchy

Administrator
Sep 16, 2006
϶(°o°)ϵ
Really not a fan of the 2 compliance buyouts per team. Lets irresponsible teams who should be punished for the risks they took get off with nary a bruise. Part of all that loophole BS was that the new CBA might make them regret what they were pulling. But, no. They get to wash their hands of it, and at no cost to the cap.

Yes that part is bugging me too , especially when you think back in 2004 and how much in trouble we were with the 39M cap. I dont want to sound like a spoiled Kid and say : :cry: you didnt give me any candies back then, why are you giving away some today ? Well we were stuck with a 39m Cap in 2004 and we lost a lot a good players . It's a little bit frustrated to see that teams today won't be penalised as we were back then . Even more when you think that in 2013 , we are so much under the cap .

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
In the other thread I don't understand why a couple of people were saying we have a better shot at a top five pick if the season is actually played.

We don't have too many new players coming in and we have a young team. It's going to take older players and older teams more time to get going. Five of our best players have also played during the lockout and are in shape: Stastny, Duchene, O'Reilly, Landeskog, and Varlamov. On TSN both McKenzie and Ward mentioned that we might see a lot more groin injuries and fatigue, especially when it comes to goalies. Avs are in a good position here.

Not saying we're going to be better than the Canucks (I really doubt we will) but they're an older team that didn't have many guys playing during the lockout and Kesler isn't even close to coming back from his injuries. We might even win some divison games.

CalderKing21

Darth Calder
Jun 19, 2011
Birmingham, AL
the buyouts don't bother me. the NBA has proven idiot owners will still give out moronic contracts to sub par players and then gripe about not having cost certainty.

squirrelbait

Oct 28, 2010

I used to agree with you about the compliance buyouts thing, and you make a valid point. But I've changed my opinion on it now. Really it helps out both the team/owners/management and the players involved. If you have one or two guys making more money than they deserve on a long contract they are potentially taking roster spots from two, three maybe more players who might otherwise be able to make the team or stay on the team, who then have to be moved on when contracts expire rather than reup with the team. So it helps players who want to stay with their team, it helps foster new talent being brought into a team, means the team can hold on to more players than they might have previously, and it's good for fans who don't like their team being hamstrung and broken up because of these big contracts.

It is bad for opposing teams. It's great seeing other teams saddled with a bad contract. It's bad also for those players who might not find NHL work afterwards, but then maybe they should have played better to earn that much money?? Harsh I know. And it's a little unfair for a team like Colorado who seem to be one of few - if any teams that player fair and treated their players with respect and didn't go out and offer such ludicris contracts to any players, knowing they would have to turn around and go to war with those players one day in the future. So I have a great deal of respect for the Avs in that regard for playing fair in a way in the lead up to the CBA negotations. They were part of a group of owners that wanted low contracts for players (under 5 years) and so they acted that way and signed players to contracts 5 years and under. They wanted a lower cap overall and knew they would be arguing that case soon, so they didn't sign anyone that would put them over the cap when it was lowered. They conducted themselves in an open manner really, in a time when other teams were signing players to contracts they didn't want their players to ever have. I'm proud of the Avs for conducting themselves the way they did and in a way it helped them because they'll be well under new caps, but in another way it's bit them in the butt a little because the don't need the compliance buyout option quite like other teams do, so the rest of the pack can catch up to them now which is a shame. Lots of hard work setting themselves up for post 2012 CBA sort of for naught.

Still, I take it all back if they eff up O'Reilly's contract negotiations!

But boy, it's nice to be able to stop reading threads on the NHL and Business forums, and move back here to read the avs talk proper again!

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Avs are fully healthy? Wrap them in bubble plastic and open in a week.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad