Hockey Prospectus 2011 NHL Organization Rankings

R S

Sep 18, 2006
I find myself disagreeing with many things that Corey Pronman has to say. I still respect his work and think he is very thorough, I just tend to disagree with alot of what he has to say.

Analyzer*

leblanc? habs graduated desharnais, white, eller and pacioretty...forward pool is thin...i expect timmins to draft only forwards next year

For some reason I thought they said him, but I guess not.

Even Gallagher is more highly touted than Aaron Palushaj.

AwesomePanthers

Maybe next season
Aug 20, 2009
Gudbranson definitely took a step back this season. Undisciplined play, poor defence, and a horrible temper made him almost embarrassing to watch some nights. I was an enormous fan of him previously, but after this year I'm happy he'll be gone from Kingston.

He didn't imo. He was so rocksolid defensively that he had to work on his offensive game more. He got better at joining the rush and rushing the puck up the ice. And because of this his points total increased, and he more than doubled his goals totals from the last to season combined. He was a new player after the WJC, that started developing his offense. He said himself that he started out badly for Kingston because he was disappointed by the fact that he was sent back to juniors.

But I agree that he is more of a hothead on the ice than I thought, he had a couple of incidents that shouldn't have happend. He's still a first class prospect and a bluechipper imo.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
It was posted on July 8, but I haven't seen any threads about it here so I felt like posting it here. It ranks the prospect systems in the NHL:

http://www.hockeyprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=1012

Detroit, NY Islanders, Nashville, Ottawa, and Chicago are in the top 5, respectively. What are your thoughts?

If this has been posted, then I'm sorry and the mods can do whatever they want with this thread.

even if some of these players flat out miss the remaining players that truly hit will still becp,e the core players to

becp,e.

That's a new one.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
I'm saying prospect rankings are a matter of personal preference.

It's why great NHL players can get drafted in the late rounds, and why "top prospects" can end up as busts.

Calling his list bad just means you see things differently than he does. It doesn't give either of you a higher chance of being right in the end.

EDIT: I guess what I'm trying to say is, "that's just like...your opinion, man"

Except it isn't a matter of preference. This isn't liking chocolate over vanilla where there is no demonstrable answer.

Some of these prospects will turn out and some won't. The future will tell the tale of how accurate these rankings are, and I suspect it won't be kind to them. That is why I suggested his was a bad opinion. Remember, not all opinions are not equally valid.

Kelly23

Pedroia and Drew
Nov 4, 2010
Boston
Last 4 of 6 Cup teams in top 15
1. Detroit
5. Chicago
6. Boston
14. Phillly
Good chance for the Gm's to have thier teams break away from the pack and form the upper teir of teams, of course Pittsburg will still stay up thier but in 5 years

top teir teams (top 5)
Detroit
chicago
Boston
Pittsburg
Philly

Hans Moleman

Was saying Boortuzzi
Apr 4, 2004
FTW
If there were some more details and explanations for why he made some of these bold evaluations, i'd buy into it. As it stands, there's a number and several name drops per team. Though for the Oilers he only mentions RNH, and for the Sharks he doesn't mention any of their prospects.

Fozz

Aug 1, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Not very strong ranking and not impressed but the reasoning on most of them either. A lot of sub-ordinary hockey analysis right there.

Abyss

GO BRUINS
Jun 20, 2005
CT
I don't see how he puts Khokhlachev as the Bruins best prospect above Hamilton.

Pietraneglo222

I don't see how he puts Khokhlachev as the Bruins best prospect above Hamilton.
From his draft rankings:

11. Alexander Khokhlachev, Center, Windsor-OHL*
12. Dougie Hamilton, Defense, Niagara-OHL*

That aside Pronman has developed a drafting strategy or policy that's biased towards the puck possession game. If you don't have speed, vision, puck handling, hockey IQ and precise passes, it should hurt you tremendously at the NHL level. The Detroit Red-Wings are known to draft with that very strategy in mind so to me it makes sense that Pronman has them at number 1. He might not have stated this outright but I believe his rankings are at least somewhat based on efficiency, which is where detroit really shines.

Last edited by a moderator:

BluechipBulletin

Mar 22, 2011
www.bluechipbulletin.com
His list was 50% intended to get peoples' attention and 50% a reflection of his preferred team building style. He definitely got your attention, because everyone is here talking about how wrong he is (and with good reason - he's out to lunch). The list is most definitely a reflection of his preferred team building style. So mission accomplished on both accounts.

magic school bus

Jun 4, 2010
San Jose, CA
The guy is pretty bold in his opinions. Detriot at number 1 is really wierd. His lists Tomas Jurco in their grouping, which is fine I suppose, but when he talks about the Senators, he doesn`t bother to mention the three guys that they drafted before Tomas Jurco. :loony: Oh, and he considers Lehner to be an above average goaltending prospect. Kinda like Pogge I suppose :sarcasm:

You have to wonder how he manages to keep a straight face :shakehead

Detroit has done pretty well drafting for skill. i'll give them the benefit of any doubt on the pick.

being drafted higher doesnt automatically make you a better player..

Corey Pronman

Jun 24, 2010
I don't have much time tonight but if anyone has any questions (and judging by the responses that seems to be the case), drop them and I'll try to get around to them tomorrow.

Detroit seems to be the most common issue here, so I'll address that. Their ranking is not, by any means, done with past success in mind. I fully believe their prospect core based on present day evaluations are the best in the league.

I just submitted their top 10 prospect column yesterday, and they only had two first round picks in my top 10 and one in the top 45 (Jurco). They have a ton of extremely good prospects who they took outside of the first round who I think are tremendous players. I'm extremely high on Gustav Nyquist, Tomas Tatar and Calle Jarnkrok based on personal viewings of them and discussions I've had with scouts. I think Adam Almqvist isn't just a nice name who could be a sleeper anymore, but he looks like a legitimate defense prospect who could project to have notable value.

Brendan Smith, Tomas Jurco and Riley Sheahan I'm sure are guys prospect-heavy people are familiar with and I like all three of them although Smith is on another level. I really like Teemu Pulkkinen too, although he is one-dimensional. I'm also a little out on a limb (relatively I suppose) in that I like Alexei Marchenko a fair amount too and though he was an early 2nd round talent this past draft.

-----------

I don't think Detroit has any top 10/elite prospects, but they have a lot of very good ones.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
I don't think Detroit has any top 10/elite prospects, but they have a lot of very good ones.

A useful benchmark for success is how prospects perform in the AHL (if they go that route) but few on the Grand Rapids Griffins have exceeded expectations (except maybe B.Smith in terms of points).

In the end, what's so great about having 5-7 0.5 PPG NHL players? None in the Detroit system screams future elite. Just another bunch of Darren Helms & Justin Abdelkaders - good but again not elite.

ColonialsHockey10

Jul 22, 2007
I'll go even further and add Detroit's prospects are among the worst in the NHL. What the hell are they going for? There's no direction with these guys, just an odd combination of one dimensional skilled forwards and undersized playmakers. How is Thomas Jurco going to perform in Babcock's system. Detroit has been below pedestrian since the lockout in drafting.

This list is a disaster overall, I might add.

Kershaw

Sort of off topic, but what happened with Landon Ferraro? Is it safe to claim he's a borderline bust?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad