Hockey Prospectus 2011 NHL Organization Rankings

Discussion in 'NHL Draft - Prospects' started by The Mauve Avenger, Jul 13, 2011.

View Users: View Users
  1. The Mauve Avenger

The Mauve Avenger Registered User

It was posted on July 8, but I haven't seen any threads about it here so I felt like posting it here. It ranks the prospect systems in the NHL:

http://www.hockeyprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=1012

Detroit, NY Islanders, Nashville, Ottawa, and Chicago are in the top 5, respectively. What are your thoughts?

If this has been posted, then I'm sorry and the mods can do whatever they want with this thread.

2. dubs

dubs Registered User

:banghead:

15 teams above the Oilers! Even with RNH, Lander, Hamilton, Petry, Marincin, Pitlick, Klefbom, and Musil!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Is this guy blind?

3. Bear of Bad News

Bear of Bad News HFBoards Escape Goat

Corey does good work, and I can assure you that he isn't blind.

4. dubs

dubs Registered User

No way Toronto and Anaheim should be above Edmonton.

5. Battaglia

Battaglia Hail Tim Thomas.

Interesting how most here felt Florida had the best group of prospects if not top 5, yet they are ninth on this list.

6. Joe Hallenback

Joe Hallenback Registered User

The love affair with Detroit is going a bit much here. When was the last impact player they Developed? Kronwall?

7. Pneuma

Pneuma Registered User

Here comes an endless stream of people saying that Detroit is overrated because ONE guy has them at the top of his list. Ugh.

8. WangMustGo

WangMustGo Registered User

Disagree, they both have good prospects. I think they should all be ranked very closely within the bottom half of the top 10.

9. birddog*

birddog* Guest

Just because Detroit drafted Datsyuk, Zetterberg and Lidstrom a dozen plus years ago in the late rounds -- all Detroit prospects are now supposed to be that good.

Having Detroit at the top when some clubs have some ELITE talent is laughable.

10. Joe Hallenback

Joe Hallenback Registered User

No not really. I like the Detroit system and they do develop alot of players because of there system. But if were talking about who has better prospects in their system who will make more of an impact in the NHL then you can't have Detroit as your number 1 team.

Too many times you read threads about who has the best systems or prospects and you will see 2 team names Detroit and New Jersey but if you look at the past 10 years these 2 teams haven't really developed impact players. That is also due to the fact they tend to be very successfull organizations and do not get a chance at the best prospects.

Sorry just because Detroit drafted Zetterberg in 99 and Datsyuk in 98 doesn't make there organizational depth better then every other team in the NHL

11. Fixed to Ruin

Fixed to Ruin Come wit it now!

I get where he's coming from when it comes to the Oilers. All of the Oilers first round picks are jumping right into the NHL. Therefore, your prospects pool is mostly second rounders and beyond. However, that doesn't place them 16th.

Florida deserves more respect. Detroit deserves less. Detroit is very good at developing talent but that doesn't mean that at this stage the guys they pick 20th overall year after year are better than other teams like Florida who are stocking up on elite top 10 talent.

Also, Carolina at #6 is just :shakehead. I like Dalpe just fine but Boychuk and Bowman have had an up and down year. (See this article http://www.hockeysfuture.com/articles/13108/ahl_affiliate_for_carolina_hurricanes_full_of_prospects_vying_for_nhl/

To place the Hurricaines ahead of Boston, Florida and Toronto based on the reasoning the author used in the article is just strange. Kadri had a better year than Bowman and Boychuk put together. Boston may not have many high end guys but they are loaded with solid NHL prospect.

I strongly disagree on this ranking.

12. Hopefully Breen and Reinhart keep going just like he said.

13. boredmale

boredmale Registered User Sponsor

I agree, while they have a bunch of good prospects, they really don't have any upper eschelon prospects.

Way I look at things 1 top end prospect is worth 4-5 good ones. I think Philly is a perfect example of a team that lacks depth but the fact they have 2 top end guys makes them one of the better teams in terms of prospect lists

14. Madic

Madic Registered User

Agree to disagree. ;)

15. HockeySensible

HockeySensible Smug Teuvo

I'm very glad Chicago's prospect pool is getting some love and respect. We've got about 15-20 guys deep who look like they good be serviceable-to-impact NHLers in 2-4 years.

16. cenas*

cenas* Guest

Rangers at #20.. :amazed:

17. Dr.Sens(e)

Dr.Sens(e) Registered User

Home Page:
    Having Detroit at the very top is the surprising thing for me. But otherwise, these are always debatable lists. I also agree Florida is probably too low, but I find this list is actually better than HF's ranking.

18. Neatman

Neatman Registered User

Wow, these rankings took everything I thought I knew about prospects, and demolished them. The fact that some are defending them leads me to believe I have lost my mind. :amazed:

19. HanSolo

HanSolo Vegas Strong

No one disagrees with number 1?

20. The Mauve Avenger

The Mauve Avenger Registered User

Btw, here is what Corey said on goaltending prospects (in particular, Lehner) in the comments section:

21. Neatman

Neatman Registered User

I strongly disagree. Especially since Ive never seen anyone/anything EVER even consider Detroit in a high spot for prospect rankings. They do a fantastic job developing players, but considering they always draft in a weak position due to their highly successful team, I cant see how they could possibly compete with the bottom feeders...

22. McCupofOil

McCupofOil Still Evaluating

That may be so but this is a bad list at least imo.

Detroit at 1, Edmonton at 16, Rangers at 20 and Colorado at 22 are just some of the baffling rankings.

23. AwesomePanthers

AwesomePanthers Maybe next season

Worst ranking I've ever seen. Terrible.

Florida is easily #1 (Markström, Huberdeau, Gudbranson, Bjugstad, Howden, Grimaldi, Dadonov+++, sick depth at every position). Any list without Florida at 1st, is a terrible imo. And it's not because I'm a Cats fan, but look at those prospects I mentioned, and there are many I left of that list). Sens should be 2nd, and maybe Blues or Oilers at 3rd.

"9. Florida Panthers: Third overall pick in 2010 Erik Gudbranson did not look good in the least this season and was more representative of a physical project than a cornerstone of the franchise. Getting Jonathan Huberdeau and Rocco Grimaldi was a tremendous injection of talent, while Drew Shore taking a step forward this year also helps."

Just his comments say enough. Say Guds had took a step back, and not even mentioning Markström. He ranks Detroit first because they are know to draft well, so it's "safer" for the future.

24. It's ranking Prospect SYSTEMS, not prospects in general. Of course Edmonton or Florida would lead that list, but he's talking about the development process and when you're drafting top 3 years in a row, then it doesn't really take as hard work as if you drafted a PK Subban in the 2nd round, even though Montreal is struggling.

25. Nullus Reverentia

Nullus Reverentia Hic Sunt Dracones

Helium-3 Space Pirate
    Detroit at number one is just...