Great Britain: Hockey in Britain part 3

J17 Vs Proclamation

Oct 29, 2004
Reading.
I think you've missed the point, the guy asked "Does the average UK citizen know what hockey actually is" and the answer to that is yes. It doesn't matter how much they know about it, they still know what it is.

Then maybe you and i have different definitions of know.

Hockey is there in popular culture, mostly in films (even if it's not specifically about hockey). When the mighty ducks movies came out they were very popular among 90's children such as myself, I did see them before I ever became remotely interested in hockey. Hockey was once featured on a Top Gear episode. Goon was shown in UK cinemas. Games always used to be on EuroSport and the Olympics were on BBC. The Lokomotiv Yaroslavl plane crash got a considerable amount of news coverage here the day it happened.

It's barely there. A film made 20+ years ago. Really ....

Hockey was once featured in a Top Gear episode ... It wasn't exactly hockey.

The Olympics were on the BBC and guess what, Olympic hockey is one of the main events, and the final is played on the last day, a day most other things are finished.

Yes, hockey appears in the media infrequently, and yes hockey appears in US shows that are appearing here, but it's absurd to say it has any obvious popular culture steam or much of anything in the mainstream media.

The Loko crash recieved much attention because it is an absolute tragedy. A whole team dies in an unusual plane crash ... of course it will hit the headlines. The crash has absolutely nothing do with hockey and everything to do with 40+ men dying. The fact that they were hockey players is almost inconsequential. Really really pulling at straws.

It's true the British game gets little to no exposure but the sport as a whole does.

It really really doesn't.

Siamese Dream

Feb 5, 2011
United Britain of Great Kingdom
The point is it is there in the media sometimes, therefore most people are aware of it.

Even then it doesn't even have to have any presence at all in the media, most people are aware of Aussie rules football even though it gets 0 exposure

howeaboutthat

Jun 20, 2012
A ways outside MI...
"Aware" and "heard of once upon a time in passing" are two very different things. I think if you ask 'most people' in the UK who don't live in cities such as Nottingham to name some team sports ice hockey would come very low down the list, if it appears at all.

Yes 'most people' may have heard the words ice and hockey shoved together and may even be able to deduce that it is some sort of hockey played on ice, but this isn't 'awareness'.

Of course a lack of actual awareness wouldn't stop one of those 'most people' mentioned becoming an overnight expert if presented with it on TV a'la Dressage at the 2012 Olympics!

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
how did this become a discussion. Seems like Imaginary Threats is the only one who read the original question lol

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
Apparently so. Stats show that four people got hat-tricks and the top points scorer was with 8 points.

Where did you get the stats!?!? I keep checking EP & malcolmpreen and see nothing. When I click statistics anywhere else it redirects me to one of those two :laugh:

UKwild

Nov 12, 2013
Wembley
I think you've missed the point, the guy asked "Does the average UK citizen know what hockey actually is" and the answer to that is yes. It doesn't matter how much they know about it, they still know what it is.

Hockey is there in popular culture, mostly in films (even if it's not specifically about hockey). When the mighty ducks movies came out they were very popular among 90's children such as myself, I did see them before I ever became remotely interested in hockey. Hockey was once featured on a Top Gear episode. Goon was shown in UK cinemas. Games always used to be on EuroSport and the Olympics were on BBC. The Lokomotiv Yaroslavl plane crash got a considerable amount of news coverage here the day it happened.

It's true the British game gets little to no exposure but the sport as a whole does.

I can only answer for London, people I know, lads in late 20s to mid 30s, all know what it is but the marketing is terrible. But we all know it from the legendary mighty Ducks.

As a note for London, I bought 8 tickets for Haringey Racers at Ally Pally as it was on wowcher, just as a throw away to see if anyone would come. Cleared them within half hour, with everyone looking to come again on a semi regular basis. People have an interest when it's prompted.

Looking back at the London Knights, people just didn't know it was on, really an issue with marketing. And in the past, rinks in Romford, London arena and Bracknell, I live near Wembley, well they are all over an hour drive with traffic probably a lot more. Even Ally Pally, it takes over an hour on the tube then the overground. The rink locations for London has pretty much buried every team we have had.

Pretty much everyone knows NHL teams, just it hasn't been progressed, although I think if it were to be marketed, then I think it has potential. Hoping the Wembley team happens, nice 15 minute walk and a London team that works is great exposure.

vsk92

Alltid IFK
Mar 31, 2011
Scotland.
Will the BBC show ice hockey games during the Sotchi games (is it confirmed)? Can't really find any info.

I can't remember if they did for 2010.

UKwild

Nov 12, 2013
Wembley
BBC are showing everything, if its not on the BB1 - BBC3 then they will be streaming it, every event covered

Over 200 hours of network TV coverage
Clare Balding, Hazel Irvine and Jonathan Edwards lead the TV presentation team
2010 gold medallist Amy Williams joins Olympians Wilf O’ Reilly, Robin Cousins, Graham Bell, Emma Carrick-Anderson and Jackie Lockhart on the BBC team
Up to six live streams online covering every event, available on PC, tablet, mobile and connected TV
Winter Olympic Games and live reports from the Winter Paralympic Games on BBC Radio 5 live

and British Ice Hockey league veteran and current Cardiff Devils coach Brent Pope will be rink-side with Seth Bennett.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
Is there a website with more up to date stats than Elite Prospects? They haven't updated Tony Hand's stats for a while.

ChaiTiefling

Aug 29, 2006
Manchester, UK
Is there a website with more up to date stats than Elite Prospects? They haven't updated Tony Hand's stats for a while.
If 'official' outlets aren't going to supply stats there's not a lot I can do to update, I don't have the time to go chasing every week. It's never been particularly efficient but it's been terrible this season. There are unofficial keepers like Iceman-EPL.

Duff35

May 1, 2013
Wisbech, UK
BBC are showing everything, if its not on the BB1 - BBC3 then they will be streaming it, every event covered

Over 200 hours of network TV coverage
Clare Balding, Hazel Irvine and Jonathan Edwards lead the TV presentation team
2010 gold medallist Amy Williams joins Olympians Wilf O’ Reilly, Robin Cousins, Graham Bell, Emma Carrick-Anderson and Jackie Lockhart on the BBC team
Up to six live streams online covering every event, available on PC, tablet, mobile and connected TV
Winter Olympic Games and live reports from the Winter Paralympic Games on BBC Radio 5 live

and British Ice Hockey league veteran and current Cardiff Devils coach Brent Pope will be rink-side with Seth Bennett.

I believe Bob Ballard will be there with the Beeb again as well

He enjoys his hockey still - shame he is not more involved in the British game still

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
If 'official' outlets aren't going to supply stats there's not a lot I can do to update, I don't have the time to go chasing every week. It's never been particularly efficient but it's been terrible this season. There are unofficial keepers like Iceman-EPL.

Thanks. The official website for the EIHL is good but the one for the EPHL (I think it is called that?) is poor.

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
There's not an official website for the EPIHL :laugh:

But yeah Malcolm Preen has been terrible doing the stats this season, maybe he finally discovered what the internet is really for...

He really has been slacking.

A couple of days ago he updated U16 south so obviously I noted Bracknell (Duggan) stats. The next day he updated U16 south again adding a game & some points for Duggan who has been gone with the U20 team for a week now :laugh:

I thought I remember reading that teams had to input stats electronically now, I don't know where exactly but I thought that was a thing I read somewhere

Siamese Dream

Feb 5, 2011
United Britain of Great Kingdom
He really has been slacking.

A couple of days ago he updated U16 south so obviously I noted Bracknell (Duggan) stats. The next day he updated U16 south again adding a game & some points for Duggan who has been gone with the U20 team for a week now :laugh:

I thought I remember reading that teams had to input stats electronically now, I don't know where exactly but I thought that was a thing I read somewhere

I believe all EPL and NIHL games now have to do an electronic gamesheet, some junior teams do it out of choice, I think the plan is to get all teams to do it eventually. That just goes to the EIHA website though and then Malcolm Preen has to add them to his site

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
Prince scored again, this time against Minnesota State.

Last year he had just 3 points in 20 games (all assists)
This year he has 3 points in 12 games (2g 1a).

2 goals in his last 2 games & his 3 points come in the last 5.

I said after I watched the first few games he needs ice time, he plays harder, smarter, and more responsible than anyone else on the ice. He's been getting it the last 5-7 games now after a few healthy scratches.

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
lol posted that Prince info in the wrong thread! Anyways the U20 stuff & ice time stuff.

Imagine how much ice time would be available if so much wasn't used on the import loaded EIHL?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad