Great Britain: Hockey in Britain part 3

Vicente

Jun 6, 2012
Cologne
That's what I meant, nearly all foreign preconceptions about the UK are based on London. Yes I'm exaggerating but there is a lot of truth to it, it's all political talk so I had best not get into it, if you're interested you can read the BBC news article about Vince Cable on Heathrow expansion, in a nutshell the country has become incredibly London-centric.

Not about the UK, guys. About England. London = England is the opinion of most people as the UK's cities like Edinburgh, Glasgow, Belfast or Cardiff are well known.

Apart of London, Manchester, Liverpool and Birmingham not many places in England are well known.

And if you guys are honest. Compared to the size of the city and how many people live there compared to the country's overall population and size it's quite impressive. In the London area there live like 20% of English people, in Berlin for example only 4% of Germans.

And also almost everything of importance in England (politics, media, culture, finances, sports events etc is based in London). It's not as well divided as for example here in Germans (Berlin: political centre, media, culture / Cologne: TV production, sports / Munich & Potsdam: TV production / Frankfurt: business / Hamburg: harbor and media / Ruhrgebiet: industry / Karlsruhe & Leipzig: important federal courts etc)

Last edited:

J17 Vs Proclamation

Oct 29, 2004
Reading.
Not about the UK, guys. About England. London = England is the opinion of most people as the UK's cities like Edinburgh, Glasgow, Belfast or Cardiff are well known.

Apart of London, Manchester, Liverpool and Birmingham not many places in England are well known.

And if you guys are honest. Compared to the size of the city and how many people live there compared to the country's overall population and size it's quite impressive. In the London area there live like 20% of English people, in Berlin for example only 4% of Germans.

And also almost everything of importance in England (politics, media, culture, finances, sports events etc is based in London). It's not as well divided as for example here in Germans (Berlin: political centre, media, culture / Cologne: TV production, sports / Munich & Potsdam: TV production / Frankfurt: business / Hamburg: harbor and media / Ruhrgebiet: industry / Karlsruhe & Leipzig: important federal courts etc)

You'll find the majority of people, whatever the location, i have marginal geographical knowledge and are generally naive or ignorant of most other countries. In Korea very few have any serious knowledge of the UK (perhaps propagated by the high proportion of westerners in the country being North American) and likewise, despite Korea being a highly developed country with a large population ; extremely few people know anything in the UK about the country. So using the knowledge and perceptions of the masses about other countries and their identities is fundamentally flawed.

London is a unique place, a juggernaut if you will and in my opinion the best city in the world (of those i've been too), but London actually doesn't particular represent the rest of the country very well.

J17 Vs Proclamation

Oct 29, 2004
Reading.
That's what I meant, nearly all foreign preconceptions about the UK are based on London. Yes I'm exaggerating but there is a lot of truth to it, it's all political talk so I had best not get into it, if you're interested you can read the BBC news article about Vince Cable on Heathrow expansion, in a nutshell the country has become incredibly London-centric.

I'm even less interested in UK politics now that i no longer live there ;)

Most pre-conceptions of countries and areas people haven't been to aren't entirely accurate. But yes, a different conversation indeed.

If it's done properly I would say yes to all of those things. I don't see how you can possibly be negative about this. Of course grass roots development needs to be improved but that can be done at the same time, we don't need to put all our eggs in the same basket. Everyone seems to think that the ideas suggested are mutually exclusive, they are not, it is all part of the big overall plan. KHL team + MHL team, U20 league, restructure of the rest of the juniors into 3 divisions, lower EIHL import numbers, better training for coaches, more preparation for the national teams. If any combination of these things happened, improvement would be achieved. We have accepted we will never be world beaters, the number of rinks being built is under the control of local authorities, not the hockey community, we need to fully utilise what we have and make the best out of it, and quite frankly we are not even close to that. I'd love to hear some of your ideas that don't involve "build more rinks", you say grass roots needs to be improved but how? You don't know the ins and outs of the junior system, how are we going to do it?

The MHL is far-fetched at this current moment in time. Some of the questions i posed of course cannot be answered without the project actually happening, but they are legitimate questions. Seems more sensible than simply going "wouldn't a KHL team be great". Seems fair to be skeptical of any such project.

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
Team GB Ice Hockey ‏@TeamGBicehockey 22m
GB U18s have just completed a two-day training camp. Read the thoughts of head coach Martin Grubb (@MartinGrubb) http://www.icehockeyuk.co.uk/two-day-camp-for-gb-u18s-p189553

Can barely handle the opinions of coach! :
"We have a great group of players to work with, so there will be some tough choices.
"There are quality players throughout and they are a great group of guys.
"I look forward to picking a squad for the tournament in Dumfries."

lol all I wanted to see was a camp roster & a date for when Grubb was expecting to name the final roster. I know it was first week of January last year.

Siamese Dream

Feb 5, 2011
United Britain of Great Kingdom
U18 team announced

http://www.icehockeyuk.co.uk/gb-u18s-name-team-for-dumfries-p189643

Netminders
Denis Bell - Milton Keynes
Jordan Hedley - Milton Keynes

Defence
Callum Buglass - Cardiff
Jordan Crowe - Ontario Hockey Academy
Josh Grieveson - Northwood School
Simon Hobbis - Wightlink
Adam Jones - Lower Austria Stars
Cameron McGiffin - Slough
Callum Read - Whitley Bay
Harvey Stead - Bracknell

Forwards
Ivan Antonov - Bracknell
Will Attwell - Lake Shore Collegiate
Ollie Betteridge - Swindon
Glen Billing - Okanagan UK
Lee Bonner - Hull
Sam Duggan - Bracknell
Alex Forbes - Ontario Hockey Academy
Lewis Hook - Peterborough
Luc Johnson - Okanagan UK
Ben Richards - Whitley Bay
Michael Stratford - Okanagan UK
Alex Whyte - Peterborough

(RESERVES)

Netminders
Jordan Boyle - Whitley Bay
Bradley Stone - Northwood School

Defence
Bradley Jenion - Nottingham
Nick Oliver - Hill Academy
Ben Nethersell - Okanagan UK
Cameron Pound - Canadian Ice Hockey Academy

Forwards
Owen Bradshaw - Cardiff
Bailey Chittock - Chelmsford
Ben Edmonds - Dundee
Owen Griffiths - Cardiff
Matthew Headland - Northwood School
Macaulay Heywood - Telford
Danny Ingoldsby - Basingstoke

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
I made my own list to see how far off I'd be. The guys I considered the top 9 forwards & top 6 D all made the team (plus I had Whyte on 4th line & Forbes as 13th forward that GB never brings) ;) I thought they'd take a couple 97 borns for the 7th/8th D because of how inexperienced the blue line always is for GB teams (I had Sam Jones & Scott Robinson in there). Also a bit funny that Duggan was the youngest U20 player and is still the youngest U18 player, they might think highly of him :sarcasm:

My guess on forward lines based on U20, U20 warm up tourney and U18 last year:
Hook-Duggan-Antonov
Bonner-Betteridge-Attwell
Stratford-Johnson-Billing
Forbes-Whyte-Richards

On D, I'm sure Jones will play top minutes but other than that I couldn't guess for the rest.

Siamese Dream

Feb 5, 2011
I made my own list to see how far off I'd be. The guys I considered the top 9 forwards & top 6 D all made the team (plus I had Whyte on 4th line & Forbes as 13th forward that GB never brings) ;) I thought they'd take a couple 97 borns for the 7th/8th D because of how inexperienced the blue line always is for GB teams (I had Sam Jones & Scott Robinson in there). Also a bit funny that Duggan was the youngest U20 player and is still the youngest U18 player, they might think highly of him :sarcasm:

My guess on forward lines based on U20, U20 warm up tourney and U18 last year:
Hook-Duggan-Antonov
Bonner-Betteridge-Attwell
Stratford-Johnson-Billing
Forbes-Whyte-Richards

On D, I'm sure Jones will play top minutes but other than that I couldn't guess for the rest.

I would consider Jones, Stead and McGiffin the stongest Dmen there, I've never seen Crowe but he was on the team last year so he must be good. Hobbis and Buglass would make a decent 3rd pair behind those four, I don't know anything about Grieveson or Read.

I would probably put McGiffin on the first pair with Jones as he's better defensively, and put Stead on the first powerplay pair. For once GB actually has a puck moving defenseman

Last edited:

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
I would consider Jones, Stead and McGiffin the stongest Dmen there, I've never seen Crowe but he was on the team last year so he must be good. Hobbis and Buglass would make a decent 3rd pair behind those four, I don't know anything about Grieveson or Read.

I would probably put McGiffin on the first pair with Jones as he's better defensively, and put Stead on the first powerplay pair. For once GB actually has a puck moving defenseman

I haven't seen Grieveson yet either but I won't be surprised at all if he finds his way into the top 4. He's playing with Northwood prep. I know there are Brits at Northwood every year but they're usually on the Midget AAA/AA teams only.

I wish this roster was playing Div 1B. Not saying they're guaranteed promotion or anything because they're not at all, but this roster would be more fun to watch against better teams.

ukyote

User, Interrupted
Dec 19, 2005
London, England
The duty rumour is a team playing out of Wembley Arena, because they are apparently having a new ice plant fitted.

Neil Black has stated that he'd be interested in being involved with a London-based team, it being his long-term goal to set one up.

The O2 is completely unrealistic as a regular ice hockey venue, it being both far too large and, more importantly, in too much demand to be able to hand over regular ice time to a team.

I'm guessing that nothing ever came of this?

Duff35

May 1, 2013
Wisbech, UK
My understanding was that there was no ice plant going in to Wembley?

London really needs two teams - one North of the river, one South.

Play on the rivalry! The city is essentially made up of a number of boroughs; neither the Knights nor Racers ever truly galvanised the local populous enough to make a serious go of EIHL hockey (the Knights had success in the ISL, but not enough for their owners to want to stick around when the Superleague died)

The problem is, no new facilities of a sufficient standard are in the pipeline - Streatham only got a new rink through Lambeth Council playing hard ball with Tesco!

ukyote

User, Interrupted
Dec 19, 2005
London, England
My understanding was that there was no ice plant going in to Wembley?

London really needs two teams - one North of the river, one South.

Play on the rivalry! The city is essentially made up of a number of boroughs; neither the Knights nor Racers ever truly galvanised the local populous enough to make a serious go of EIHL hockey (the Knights had success in the ISL, but not enough for their owners to want to stick around when the Superleague died)

The problem is, no new facilities of a sufficient standard are in the pipeline - Streatham only got a new rink through Lambeth Council playing hard ball with Tesco!

The Knights pulled in crowds of several thousand for every game... I should know because I went! The owners bailing was more a comment on the state of ice hockey in the UK than the team.

Duff35

May 1, 2013
Wisbech, UK
The Knights pulled in crowds of several thousand for every game... I should know because I went! The owners bailing was more a comment on the state of ice hockey in the UK than the team.

So did Manchester Storm - how did they end up?

Though fair comment on the state of the game - it didn't help. The Knights weren't racking in the cash though, and when the Docklands/ISL went the 'easy out' was there I guess.

ukyote

User, Interrupted
Dec 19, 2005
London, England
So did Manchester Storm - how did they end up?

Though fair comment on the state of the game - it didn't help. The Knights weren't racking in the cash though, and when the Docklands/ISL went the 'easy out' was there I guess.

The owners were in the middle of buying up the Greenwich peninsular as well... there are a load of reasons why they bailed to be honest. It's a shame because the fans never really shifted to another London team, myself included. Look at what happened to the Racers!!

Duff35

May 1, 2013
Wisbech, UK
Racers were up against it from the word go playing out of Ally Pally and then Lee Valley - fine for NIHL and at a push EPL, but that was a tough gig playing Elite League out of those rinks...

Siamese Dream

Feb 5, 2011
For those not on the OHA mailing list:

Okanagan Hockey Academy announce expansion in 2014 - 15

After a successful second year here at Okanagan Hockey Academy UK, we are delighted to confirm information regarding the expansion to our programme for season 2014/15.

Firstly, with the success of our OHA under 16 Programme we are proud to announce we are now expending our program with the addition of an OHA under 18 age group.

Secondly, we have identified a key area we want to improve to take our already successful programme, which will take our athletes' development to an even higher level. This will improve the level of competition for our teams so that we will now be participating in 5 European trips throughout the season. We will be competing up to 20 games in Europe against well-drilled teams. We know how beneficial these experiences will be and what a great impact they will have on our athletes' development. Hockey in Europe is fast, skilled and hard. On top of these new additions we will continue to compete in our respective EIHA Leagues and challenge games within the UK.

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
Good to see.

More games in Europe & 2 teams is golden.

Hopefully more Brits can take advantage of the program rather than attracting kids from Belgium, Germany, and Hungary.

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
I was going through the coaches for that elite junior camp run by Stevie Lyle and noticed a name that stood out, Aaron Fox.

He never played in GB and really didn't do anything in NA after his time in NCAA. He was a fixture in Austrian/German leagues though. He's currently a KHL GM after retiring last year from his playing career last year.
http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=11580

I don't know what his tie is to Stevie Lyle or GB but that guy definitely has tons of connections.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
And now they've spent millions doing up Ally Pally and still not bothered to put plexiglass in :huh:

I was so bemused when I went and it was all rope. :laugh:

There were times when the puck would fall out the bottom of the rope though and a fan would have to throw it back in.:laugh:

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
They're technically players in Britain but playing abroad for a weekend so I figured here.

England U16s in Tillburg for the Chris Verwijst tournament:
4-4 Tie with Hungary
4-2 Win over Tillburg

Grefrath tomorrow

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
U16 Stats in Tillburg for day 1 (no goalie stats other than assist for Ethan James)

- - - - - - - -
F 20 Josh SMITH Bracknell 2 1 3 4 6
F 3 Kyle SMITH Sheffield 2 2 1 3 2
F 15 Oliver SIMMS Sheffield 2 2 0 2 2
F 12 Oliver BALDOCK Chelmsford 2 2 0 2 2
D 10 Calum WELLS Chelmsford 2 0 2 2 2
F 7 Adam FINLINSON Hull 2 1 1 2 2
D 24 Bradley JENION Nottingham 2 0 1 1 4
G 23 Ethan JAMES Okanagan 1 0 1 1 0
F 18 Taylor ROSS Chelmsford 2 1 0 1 0
F 17 Bradley BETTERIDGE Nottingham 2 0 1 1 2
F 16 Joe HUMPHRIES Nottingham 2 0 1 1 0
F 14 Hallam WILSON Basingstoke 2 0 1 1 0
D 13 Tom STUBLEY Hull 2 0 1 1 0
D 19 Ben NETHERSELL Okanagan 2 0 0 0 0
D 11 Tom RELF Bracknell 2 0 0 0 0
F 9 Chris MARTIN Guildford 2 0 0 0 0
D 6 Ryan MORGAN Chelmsford 2 0 0 0 0
D 5 Edward KNAGGS Bracknell 2 0 0 0 0
D 4 Oliver STONE Okanagan 2 0 0 0 0
F 1 Owen BRADSHAW Cardiff 2 0 0 0 0
G 22 Josh MILTON Slough

Edit: For what it's worth, the team that England plays tomorrow just lost 11-0 to Hungary lol

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
U16 tournament done in Netherlands

Finished 3-1-1
vs. Hungary Nat. Team 4-4T
vs. Tilburg Trappers (Nehterlands) 4-2W
vs. Grefrath Phoenix (Germany) 5-1W
vs. Edge Prep 5-1L
vs. Hungary Nat. Team 4-2W

England Stats:
D 10 Calum WELLS Chelmsford 5 2 5 7 20
F 3 Kyle SMITH Sheffield 5 4 3 7 8
F 20 Josh SMITH Bracknell 5 2 3 5 6
F 12 Oliver BALDOCK Chelmsford 5 2 3 5 2
F 7 Adam FINLINSON Hull 5 3 2 5 4
F 15 Oliver SIMMS Sheffield 5 3 1 4 2
D 19 Ben NETHERSELL Okanagan 5 1 1 2 0
F 17 Bradley BETTERIDGE Nottingham 5 0 2 2 6
F 14 Hallam WILSON Basingstoke 5 0 2 2 0
D 6 Ryan MORGAN Chelmsford 5 1 1 2 0
D 24 Bradley JENION Nottingham 5 0 1 1 6
G 23 Ethan JAMES Okanagan 5 0 1 1 0
F 18 Taylor ROSS Chelmsford 5 1 0 1 2
F 16 Joe HUMPHRIES Nottingham 5 0 1 1 2
D 13 Tom STUBLEY Hull 5 0 1 1 0
D 11 Tom RELF Bracknell 5 0 1 1 0
F 9 Chris MARTIN Guildford 5 0 0 0 0
D 5 Edward KNAGGS Bracknell 5 0 0 0 0
D 4 Oliver STONE Okanagan 5 0 0 0 0
F 1 Owen BRADSHAW Cardiff 5 0 0 0 0
G 22 Josh MILTON Slough

They actually finished 2nd in the "Fair Play Cup" aka 2nd least amount of PIMs. Rare number for England teams lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad