Hockey History

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
He's not going to drop off that quickly though. Point per game by 30? I'd be shocked.
Well whenever he falls off, physically you can't keep being this fast until your 35, no ? Its speed from the whole body in his case, if his hands, feet, eyes, brain fall behind, his effectiveness goes down drastically. He's going to be middle of the pack of the elite by then, be it 30 or 32 or what ever, I don't know.

Reactions: BehindTheTimes

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Well whenever he falls off, physically you can't keep being this fast until your 35, no ? Its speed from the whole body in his case, if his hands, feet, eyes, brain fall behind, his effectiveness goes down drastically. He's going to be middle of the pack of the elite by then, be it 30 or 32 or what ever, I don't know.
He might fall off earlier than a guy like say... Jagr. But He's going to be good for a while.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
I don't know, I see it as a statement to Lemieux level of talent that he could still be in best ever territory while being so broken down. While Gretzky slowed down to average HOF at ages he shouldve still been pretty dominant, especially with his cerebral style of play.
What everybody thinks Lemieux could have done, Wayne actually did. I don’t play rainbows and butterflies. I go by what happened.

Reactions: Deebs

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
I would take that bet.

Provided he stays healthy, I think he's going to put up better numbers over the next five years than any player since Lemieux. He'll do it in a hard league and on crappy teams. He's pretty freaking good.
I’ll take that bet. You can add whatever conditions you want, I’ll take the less favourable ones.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
I mean, he's Wayne Gretzky. He's not Paul Byron. He should be held to the greatest standard. I mean, Lemieux finished 2nd in PPG in 03 at 37 and in 01 coming back from retirement he finished first by a lot. At 37, Wayne was 8th in PPG.

Basically, its impossible to pinpoint a prime for Lemieux, he was primed all over his career, Wayne clearly declined after 35 (Declined into a top 5 point producer, lmao!)

Edit: From 94 to 98 (Age 34 to 38) Wayne fell to 8th in total points, 9th in PPG) now obviously this is hard to do for Mario but wtv, Lemieux was first in that 34-38 time frame. (and even going to 40)

Edit 2: I dont even know what Im discussing btw :laugh: Im just being amazed at those two guys stats lines
You tried to pull some slight of hand, just admit it. Lol

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
Gretzky did not really play defense. He would sit there at the blueline and wait to be sprung. And btw, it's fine to do that when you're a 200 point player. They'd still have a guy on him even when he was away from the play.
Gretzky played 100% more defense than Lemieux. This isn’t a debatable defense. If anyone thinks this favours Mario then let’s debate it.

Last edited:

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
Gretzky did not really play defense. He would sit there at the blueline and wait to be sprung. And btw, it's fine to do that when you're a 200 point player. They'd still have a guy on him even when he was away from the play.
He was twice the player as Mario on defense. This isn’t even a conversation.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Gretzky played 100% more defense than Lemieux. This isn’t debatable by ANTIFA e serious about the discussion, so I won’t give it legitimacy here.
2x0=0

I watched Gretzky live on a few occassions in person and many times on TV. He didn't play defense and honestly, he really didn't have to.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
2x0=0

I watched Gretzky live on a few occassions in person and many times on TV. He didn't play defense and honestly, he really didn't have to.
You really saw what u wanted to see and i don’t value that much. I’ll trust my eyes over yours. Way e played 3 zones, Mario played one. If your stubborn enough to argue it, take ur case to
The history of hockey where it’s universally accepted that Wayne > Mario.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
You really saw what u wanted to see and i don’t value that much. I’ll trust my eyes over yours. Way e played 3 zones, Mario played one. If your stubborn enough to argue it, take ur case to
Wasn't just me watching. We made a point of watching the guy and he just sat at the blueline while others did the boardwork.

He also had something like 4 points that game.

With both these guys it didn't matter. And no, Gretzky wasn't better defensively.

You seem to have a horse in this race, I don't. I have zero problem with anyone who says Gretzky was the best player ever. He has the stats, the longevity and the cups. I'd take Lemieux at 100 percent but his career (like Bobby Orr's) will always be a 'what if.' And as I pointed out earlier, Gretzky bar none had the best career. Not close.

River Meadow

Mar 29, 2016
Jagr didn't have a 100 point season until he was 23 - with Mario putting up an incredibly stupid season. He didn't hit his prime until 25.

McDavid already has three 100 point seasons under his belt and would've had his fourth last year ( 97 points in 64 games) and he's just turned 24. And he's done this in a tougher league and on horrible teams btw.

Relative to age, he's better than Jagr by a country mile.

As for being at Lemieux or Gretzky's level... if that's the bar for 'generational' then the term no longer has meaning. If you want to compare him to Crosby, OV, Lindros etc... then yeah, he's generational. If he stays healthy he's going to put up insane numbers over the next five years. Just too bad the covid crap has gotten in the way.

Anyways, how 'bout that Nick Suzuki guy?

Forget numbers..

You take a prime McDavid over a prime Jagr on your team?

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Forget numbers..

You take a prime McDavid over a prime Jagr on your team?
Absolutely.

And why the hell would I forget about numbers here? That makes no sense. McDavid outproduces Jagr with worse teams, in a harder league and without Mario Lemieux. It’s not close.

Now, will McDavid be as productive in his later years as Jagr was? No way to know that. But based on what we see now? He’ll yes, McDavid is way ahead.

River Meadow

Mar 29, 2016
Absolutely.

And why the hell would I forget about numbers here? That makes no sense.

Put a prime Jagr in 2021 and see how he does with his massive size, strength and skill. With no clutching and grabbing to impede him... oof... that would be insane.

Reactions: Kimota

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Put a prime Jagr in 2021 and see how he does with his massive size, strength and skill. With no clutching and grabbing to impede him... oof... that would be insane.
1993 had two or three guys with 5 0 goals in 50 games. Jagr played with Lemieux, Francis and a hugely stacked team. McD has outperformed him in a tougher league with a shit team.

River Meadow

Mar 29, 2016
1993 had two or three guys with 5 0 goals in 50 games. Jagr played with Lemieux, Francis and a hugely stacked team. McD has significantly outperformed him in a tougher league with a shit team.

1993-94 season was the beginning of the dead puck era and uber clutch & grab.

It doesn't really matter who Jagr played with. Look at the individual. Pens had a stacked team. Gretzky played on stacked teams as well.

Think of the things Jagr was able to do to in the height of the dead puck era.. now imagine no more clutching and grabbing allowed, at all.

You can take McDavid, but I would take a prime Jagr in 2021, any day of the week.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007

It doesn't really matter who Jagr played with. Look at the individual. Pens had a stacked team. Gretzky played on stacked teams as well.

Think of the things Jagr was able to do to in the height of the dead puck era.. now imagine no more clutching and grabbing allowed, at all.

You can take McDavid, but I would take a prime Jagr in 2021, any day of the week.
McDavid has two scoring titles already. He'd have had a third if he'd played every game last year. Sorry, no matter how you slice this he's ahead of where Jagr was.

Some of Jagr's career was in the dead puck era but not what he'd played to date. That was in the highest scoring era in NHL history. And again, he had a stacked team.

It's not close at this point. Where Jagr will shine is in the later years. The guy was a machine and productive well into his old age. That will be tough to match.

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office

Neither played D, what are you even debating here??...Mario stood around in the middle of the ice & did nothing but cast a big shadow and Wayne hung around the blueline waiting to be sprung for a breakout...

...and I agree that Prime Mario was the greatest player ever to lace 'em up...

River Meadow

Mar 29, 2016
McDavid has two scoring titles already. He'd have had a third if he'd played every game last year. Sorry, no matter how you slice this he's ahead of where Jagr was.

Some of Jagr's career was in the dead puck era but not what he'd played to date. That was in the highest scoring era in NHL history. And again, he had a stacked team.

It's not close at this point. Where Jagr will shine is in the later years. The guy was a machine and productive well into his old age. That will be tough to match.

Maybe I need to watch more McDavid..

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Maybe I need to watch more McDavid..
Jagr and McD are completely different players. McD is more like Guy Lafleur relying on speed. Jagr was amazing on the boards and was super strong. That conditioning served him well later on. Strongest guy on his skates and you are right about him later in the dead puck era. He was able to power through. He was really built for that era because he was so freaking strong on the puck.

Reactions: River Meadow

Kojo

Nov 22, 2013
Guy Lafleur was smoking cigarettes during the intermissions and Lemieux was not in the best possible shape his whole career. I like McDavid I think he's good but let's not compare apples with oranges.

Reactions: River Meadow

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018

I’d take Jagr easily.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
Neither played D, what are you even debating here??...Mario stood around in the middle of the ice & did nothing but cast a big shadow and Wayne hung around the blueline waiting to be sprung for a breakout...

...and I agree that Prime Mario was the greatest player ever to lace 'em up...
Let’s agree to disagree. One was a phenomenal 5vs5 scorer while the other relied on the pp. one also had the greatest plus minus of any forward in history to go along with his ridiculous numbers. To suggest they were even or even close to even on defense suggests you don’t have a damn clue what you are talking about. Gretzky covered the dman while Kurri covered down low where the Center normally covered, but this wasn’t because of a lack d by Wayne, this was be design to have the most effective counter attack. Wayne’s anticipation and positioning on d was highly underrated.

River Meadow

Mar 29, 2016
Guy Lafleur was smoking cigarettes during the intermissions and Lemieux was not in the best possible shape his whole career. I like McDavid I think he's good but let's not compare apples with oranges.

Go on... please elaborate.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad