Hockey has divided Canada - Canadians Cheering Against Team Canada...

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeLaine

May 26, 2004
JasonMacIsaac said:
First smarty, I didn't say the program sucks. Second, we having won a gold in the past 6 or 7 years and you know as well as myself that 2nd and 3rd place finishes mean little in Canada's eyes. It isn't an accomplishment.

Name me which players are not better then Dixon, MacArthur, Boyd or Colliton....you could also put Stone in there since Fehr inflates his numbers.

Have you ever watched Stone or Fehr play??? Fehr doesn't inflate Stone's numbers it's the other way around if anything. You go on running your mouth about these players from the WHL but have you ever seen them play? If you did you might have a sniff of what they are all about.

markov`

Feb 23, 2003
Top 2 in the world
Visit site
theredmile said:
Have you ever watched Stone or Fehr play??? Fehr doesn't inflate Stone's numbers it's the other way around if anything. You go on running your mouth about these players from the WHL but have you ever seen them play? If you did you might have a sniff of what they are all about.

I'm sure that the 3/4 of the westerners who posted here haven't seen Bernier, Bourret or Picard play more than once/twice.

SeLaine

May 26, 2004
markov` said:
I'm sure that the 3/4 of the westerners who posted here haven't seen Bernier, Bourret or Picard play more than once/twice.

I'm sure they haven't however we haven't been making negative comments towards these players. In fact I believe Picard and maybe even Bernier should have been given invitations to the camp however I don't think either would have made it. How many times has MacIassac seen Stone or MacArthur or Boyd??? Still he seems to think with all the hockey knowledge he possesses that these players are inferior to McGrath, Bourret, Picard, Bernier, etc.

Roughneck

Oct 15, 2003
Calgary
Visit site
markov` said:

But we have seen the guys chosen to the camp many times and try to explain that these selections aren't as unfair as others seem to think. They're leading scorers in the Dub, yet they're not worthy to be named to the camp it seems.

Bernier, Bourret and Picard probably deserved to make it to the camp, but they still wouldn't have made the team. The team is picked, all that is being chosen is what players will fill the specialty forward roles, something that Sutter entrusts the WHL players with and rightfully so.

moosie19

Sep 29, 2004
Why don't you guys post your best NHL'ers

based on the World under 17 teams. Team Pacific, Team West, Team Ontario, and Team Quebec and see how the rosters compare. Don't worry about Team Atlantic we could barely scrape together a team!!!!! It would be interesting to see how these teams would break down.

Roughneck

Oct 15, 2003
Calgary
Visit site
Pacific:
Goal: Dubnyk, Nastiuk

Defense: Phaneuf, Coburn, Green, Belle, Seabrook, Weber, Schultz

Forwards: Brule, Colliton, MacArthur, Stone, Ladd, Fraser, Chipchura, Chucko, Setoguchi, Yellowhorn, McArdle, Rabbit, Bertram

Just to throw together a team. Not too shabby.

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002
Im from the East. I won't miss a second of the tourney and can't wait to watch this great collection of talent.
I don't care if every guy selected plays in the Yukon Superleague, all i want to see is the Maple Leaf bring home the gold.

Unless one of the players left off is a personal friend of yours or a family member, i fail to see how this can upset anyone so much. Its laughable.

Other comments i found amusing:

Well, actually, it would only be ironic if the players were all fromt he O and the Q. What a typically Eastern view of irony

That was early in the thread, very funny.

Calgary plays the clutch and grab type hockey game that only a team like Calgary can play to win. What do you expect? I've watched the playoffs and everytime calgary plays, someone from the other team is being hooked, pushed, cross-checked.

This from a Leaf fan????? Now THAT is ironic. At least when Calgary hooks, holds, grabs etcetc. it gets them to the Stanley Cup finals, all it gets Toronto is a lot of ridicule and a ticket home in the 1st or 2nd round.

Vyse64

N64
Feb 13, 2003
Calgary AB
Wondercarrot said:
This from a Leaf fan????? Now THAT is ironic. At least when Calgary hooks, holds, grabs etcetc. it gets them to the Stanley Cup finals, all it gets Toronto is a lot of ridicule and a ticket home in the 1st or 2nd round.
at least it gets them passed the sens which i love cuz i can't stand the sens

looooob

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Epsilon said:
Bob McKenzie posts here. I'd take him over Brent Sutter ANY day of the week.
I like Bob McKenzie. As a writer, commentator and NHL 'insider' I'd take him over Brent Sutter

if you are asking me who I would rather have as coach or GM--particularly of a junior hockey team, I think I'd take Brent Sutter. am I alone in this :dunno: and that's not intended as a slam on Bob McKenzie, who is great at what he does

looooob

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
JasonMacIsaac said:
Thats not the point....if Alain Vigneault was the coach this year and did the same work Sutter did I am willing to bet my 1000 dollars that the roster for Team Canada would be much different from Sutters. Remember Vigneault actually coached in the NHL where Sutter has not.

well Greg Gilbert has coached in the NHL too.I"m glad he didn't pick the team. Has Brian Kilrea coached in the NHL?

are Juniors and the NHL 2 different things? anyways I'm sure if Brent Sutter really wanted to be an NHL coach, he'd get a chance--lord knows Brian gets his share--maybe it's not on his agenda

anyways this is no disrespect to Vigneault. He's a good coach and I'm sure he would pick a different team than Sutter. maybe not better, but different

but NHL coaching experience should not really factor into this, IMO

espo*

Epsilon said:
Bob McKenzie posts here. I'd take him over Brent Sutter ANY day of the week.
He does? Whats his handle here then?...i'd love to know when it's him writing.

looooob

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
cyclops said:
He does? Whats his handle here then?...i'd love to know when it's him writing.
His handle is Bob McKenzie. clever huh?

just kidding. he doesn't post often, but he does so under his real name when he does

Campino

Jul 26, 2002
Visit site
I know many will argue the everyone is from Canada and it shouldn't matter where they are from in Canada. But it's always nice to see your province being represented at the same time. I understand from Sutters point of view that he wants the best team possible. But from a fans stand point, the selections weren't fair. I am a Quebec league fan. I am just as disapointed that there weren't more QMJHL players name to the team as OHL players. There many players that weren't name but should of. I know most of you Westerners hate Quebec, but hey, don't take it out on thier hockey players.

looooob

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Campino said:
I know many will argue the everyone is from Canada and it shouldn't matter where they are from in Canada. But it's always nice to see your province being represented at the same time. I understand from Sutters point of view that he wants the best team possible. But from a fans stand point, the selections weren't fair. I am a Quebec league fan. I am just as disapointed that there weren't more QMJHL players name to the team as OHL players. There many players that weren't name but should of. I know most of you Westerners hate Quebec, but hey, don't take it out on thier hockey players.

the post was fine until the last sentence.

I don't think many here hate Quebec. but we didn't pick the team. The implication seems to be that Brent Sutter hates Quebec, and I think that's a stretch to say the least (although I know someone several pages back seemed to imply this was all because of Brent Sutter's 'jealousy' towards Denis Savard...one of the stranger things I've read here)

SeLaine

May 26, 2004
Campino said:

But what would you rather have your league being represented or your country winning a gold medal?

Lanny MacDonald*

Hart_House_Ca said:
I feel there is a need to discuss the other side of canadians who feel the disbelief of the complete bias towards the selection of team WHL, I mean team Canada.

I know there are a lot of canadians who will be cheering for Team Canada. But I have a feeling there will be a few more cheering against them.

I love Canada, but like many other canadians, I dont' think this team is representative of true Canadians. Maybe sutter did select the best Canadians but to shun all of canada from even having a chance to compete for jobs is just a slap to the face. We're not asking to make it a fair selection but my god, how can you be blatantly bias toward the selection.

All 4 goalies from the WHL. Are you telling me there was not one goalie from the other two leagues capable of competing for jobs.

Dylan hunter was probably the biggest shocker. I also have a strong feeling that the remainder of the cuts will be from the OHL and QMJHL.

I can't say I will be cheering for fully for team Canada. But I will have a huge smile on my face if Team Canada does lose.

I hope when the Q gets in charge of the junior program, that they dont' select one player from the WHL. And when the OHL is in charge, I hope they dont' select one player from the WHL.

Hockey will divide Canada if it already hasn't.

What an interesting perspective you have on things. Maybe you should take a look at the past drafts and see exactly who Sutter is snubbing? Here's a list of the first rounders that Sutter could pick from.

MA Fleury (QMJHL)... not available
Eric Staal (OHL)... not available
Nathan Horton (OHL)... not available
Braydon Coburn (WHL)... on the team
Dion Phaneuf (WHL)... on the team
Jeff Carter (OHL)... on the team
Dustin Brown (OHL)... not available
Brent Seabrooke (WHL)... on the team
Steve Bernier (QMJHL)... performed poorly in evaluation camp
Eric Fehr (WHL)... invited and on the bubble
Ryan Getzlaf (WHL)... on the team
Brent Burns (OHL)... not available
MA Pouliot (QMJHL)... not invited
Mike Richards (OHL)... on the team
Anthony Stewart (OHL)... on the team
Corey Perry (OHL)... not invited
Shawn Belle (WHL)... invited and on the bubble

Cam Barker (WHL)... on the team
Andrew Ladd (WHL)... invited and on the bubble
Alexandre Picard (QMJHL)... not invited
Devan Dubnyk (WHL)... invited and on the bubble
Kyle Chipchura (WHL)... injured and done for the year
Travis Zajac (BCJHL)... not invited
Kris Chucko (BCJHL)... not invited
Jeff Schultz (WHL)... not invited
Mark Fistric (WHL)... not invited
Mike Green (WHL)... not invited
Andy Rogers (WHL)... not invited

(an interesting note here is that every single Canadian player drafted in the 2004 first round was from a western based team. Only a single QMJHL player was selected who had a Canadian birth certificate)

So if you look at possible representation of the leagues you get a split like this from the draft based on numbers of players picked. In brackets is the number of players that are deemed unavailable through other commitment or injury. The bold number is the number of players actually available.

QMJHL... 3 (1) 2
OHL... 8 (4) 4
WHL/BCJHL... 16 (1) 15

Now do you start to see the reason why the make up is the way it is? The WHL has just managed to produce a lot of top notch players. I think there may have been the odd player that was overlooked, but if you look at the players available and the roles they are expected to play in the tournament, I cannot blame Sutter and Hockey Canada in the least for making the decisions they did. More power to them.

Go Canada Go!

Apologies for missing Picard.

Last edited by a moderator:

ZombieMatt

May 20, 2002
I may be very disappointed with the lack of Steve Bernier and Alex Picard (F), but under absolutely no circumstances would I ever cheer against a Canadian team.

Don't get me wrong, I still think this is a team which is going to win the tournament. The D is, in my opinion, overall, miles ahead of anyone else, that makes up with compensation for the goaltending question. The forward group is the best in teh event, it just frustrated me to know that it could have been better.

looooob

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
The Iconoclast said:
What an interesting perspective you have on things. Maybe you should take a look at the past drafts and see exactly who Sutter is snubbing? Here's a list of the first rounders that Sutter could pick from.

MA Fleury (QMJHL)... not available
Eric Staal (OHL)... not available
Nathan Horton (OHL)... not available
Braydon Coburn (WHL)... on the team
Dion Phaneuf (WHL)... on the team
Jeff Carter (OHL)... on the team
Dustin Brown (OHL)... not available
Brent Seabrooke (WHL)... on the team
Steve Bernier (QMJHL)... performed poorly in evaluation camp
Eric Fehr (WHL)... invited and on the bubble
Ryan Getzlaf (WHL)... on the team
Brent Burns (OHL)... not available
MA Pouliot (QMJHL)... not invited
Mike Richards (OHL)... on the team
Anthony Stewart (OHL)... on the team
Corey Perry (OHL)... not invited
Shawn Belle (WHL)... invited and on the bubble

Cam Barker (WHL)... on the team
Andrew Ladd (WHL)... invited and on the bubble
Devan Dubnyk (WHL)... invited and on the bubble
Kyle Chipchura (WHL)... injured and done for the year
Travis Zajac (BCJHL)... not invited
Kris Chucko (BCJHL)... not invited
Jeff Schultz (WHL)... not invited
Mark Fistric (WHL)... not invited
Mike Green (WHL)... not invited
Andy Rogers (WHL)... not invited

(an interesting note here is that every single Canadian player drafted in the 2004 first round was from a western based team. Not a single OHL or QMJHL player was selected who had a Canadian birth certificate)

So if you look at possible representation of the leagues you get a split like this from the draft based on numbers of players picked. In brackets is the number of players that are deemed unavailable through other commitment or injury. The bold number is the number of players actually available.

QMJHL... 2 (1) 1
OHL... 8 (4) 4
WHL/BCJHL... 16 (1) 15

Now do you start to see the reason why the make up is the way it is? The WHL has just managed to produce a lot of top notch players. I think there may have been the odd player that was overlooked, but if you look at the players available and the roles they are expected to play in the tournament, I cannot blame Sutter and Hockey Canada in the least for making the decisions they did. More power to them.

Go Canada Go!

while I agree with your post--I believe you have omitted Picard from the 2004 first rounders. your point still stands

Campino

Jul 26, 2002
Visit site
There is no doubt in my mind that I would ever cheer against team Canada. But like what I said it's always nice to see your province being represented. If the better players are all from the WHL, then fine. But I don't think this debate is really over what league the players are chosen from. It's the fact that there are some really good players that weren't invited. It just so happens to be that those players are from the OHL and QMJHL. I understand that Sutter doesn't have a great knowledge of players outside the WHL because he rarely see's them. Atleast he knows what to expect from the players he picked because he see's them on a regular basis. Lets hope his theory works.
In the future I hope they pick someone next time that will do some extra scouting around the Canada to find the best players possible.

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
Campino said:
There is no doubt in my mind that I would ever cheer against team Canada. But like what I said it's always nice to see your province being represented. If the better players are all from the WHL, then fine. But I don't think this debate is really over what league the players are chosen from. It's the fact that there are some really good players that weren't invited. It just so happens to be that those players are from the OHL and QMJHL. I understand that Sutter doesn't have a great knowledge of players outside the WHL because he rarely see's them. Atleast he knows what to expect from the players he picked because he see's them on a regular basis. Lets hope his theory works.
In the future I hope they pick someone next time that will do some extra scouting around the Canada to find the best players possible.

Do you seriously not understand that there is a group of people behind these decisions? Blair Mackasy has just as much say (if not more) in the process as Sutter and he's from Montreal.

Lanny MacDonald*

markov` said:
Now explain me why Dustin Boyd, Stefan Meyer, Clarke MacArthur, Andrew Ladd and Colin Fraser were invited over Steve Bernier, Dylan Hunter, Alexandre Picard and Marc-Antoine Pouliot... except the fact they are from the WHL.

How about looking at the roll they would be playing? Who is a better fit as a defensive player or multi-purpose player? The one way type players you suggest from the Q or the two way players who have leadership roles with their teams in the WHL? What a player brings to the table is more important than where they are from and how many points they can score. The junior ranks are littered with one way players that end up playing senior men's hockey because they don't have the commitment to two way hockey. The players selected are excellent two way players and superior for the roles they would be expected to play.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad