Hockey has divided Canada - Canadians Cheering Against Team Canada...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Deaner

Mar 6, 2003
Calgary
Visit site
Bicycle Repairman said:
Is not Hockey Canada a quasi-governmental agency with funding from taxpayers? If so, then surely the team should be more demographically representational. Ken Dryden, as Minister for Sports should be intervening.

Notwithstanding the lack of a representative from Nunavit on the team this year, there also a decided lack of women, gays, and physically-challenged Canadians on the team.

Surely, these oversights must be addressed.

:joker: Thats rich!

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
denphis said:
did anyone watch the chl - russia series
the q lost in shootouts
the o played close games (way more competitive than the q)
the whl killed the russians
this year the whl has the majority of the better players

2 years ago or even last year this wasn't the case
just because more players came from the west doesn't mean they are biased it just means they took the best players available to them. if there were more crosby's or bergerons or stewarts etc from the east then they would be on the team
Read the whole thread:

1.) Q didn't pick the best goaltenders
2.) Crosby and Picard didn't play, possibly the two best players
3.) Q didn't exactly pick the best possible players
4.) The Russians top two players played vs the Q and not vs OHL and WHL

Papa Smurf

Jun 9, 2004
Oshawa, Ontario
There are rules I have for junior and professional international hockey tounaments:

1. NEVER, under a circumstances, cheer against you're country. I don't care if the whole team came and spray painted you're dog. SUPPORT YOU'RE NATION AT ALL COSTS!

2. NEVER, EVER, cheer for another nation over you're own just because a player on you're favorite league team plays for them. If you are from Country A and you're favorite player(s) plays for Country B, NEVER cheer Country B over Country A!

STAY LOYAL!!!!!!

Thank you.

Hiishawk

Feb 28, 2002
Out there somewhere
Visit site
Beatnik said:
Yes change is needed

Maybe they should stop ignoring the talented players from Québec and elsewhere. The "grinders" team Sutter always bring us never win. .

Several points.

1. Meyer, Fraser, McArthur etc. are not "grinders". In the WHL and on their respective teams they are high-scoring, offensively dangerous players. The difference is that they can play the grinding, corner game if need be AND be strong character, team players.

2. In fact, when Canada won it's string of five in a row there were several so-called "grinder" types on those teams. In fact, the last two teams have been very very highly-skilled teams, so if you want to blame Canada's "loss" on a certain style...

3. The vast, vast majority of forwards who actually end up making this team are going to be very highly-skilled players. Period.

4. People bemoan Canada's "losing" at the WJCs as if we're also-rans every year. Nonsense. We've lost by ONE PERIOD the last three years, the last being a real heart-breaker. This does NOT call for an overhaul of the whole system. We've had a string of medals longer than any country. does anybody seriously think that Fluery wouldn't have banked the puck off of Coburn last year if fewer "grinders" and more, say, Quebecers were on that team?

5. Just like some people stereotype the Q as a bunch of no defense, corner-squeamish little waterbugs--- so do many people seem to think that any WHLer must be a dull, up-and-down penalty-inviting grinder with stone hands. you all saw the WHL-Russia games and the prospects games. Get over that stereotype (Q guys= skill, WHL guys= no skill grinder).

6. Think of the WJCs like NCAA basketball. Imagine a team where ten of the eleven best players on an NCAA basketball are sophs or juniors. They are considered the best team all year but, in the final, they lose by 1 point on a last-second basket. Most return next year plus they've added a few new recruits. Would you say that they should drop some of these guys or change their whole approach because they "lost" last year? Well, the WJCs are like NCAA hoops- returnees mean everything. Losing the final by a buzzer-beater with such a young team does not warrant all these negative claims and responses!

CF

Dec 10, 2004
Burnaby, BC
The fact of the matter is that WHL is by far the most talented league in the CHL, so team Canada is going to have more players from the WHL than the other two leagues. Get over it.

colonel_korn

Luuuuuuuuuu....lay?
Nov 30, 2002
St John's, NL
Visit site
Hart_House_Ca said:
I feel there is a need to discuss the other side of canadians who feel the disbelief of the complete bias towards the selection of team WHL, I mean team Canada.

I know there are a lot of canadians who will be cheering for Team Canada. But I have a feeling there will be a few more cheering against them.

I love Canada, but like many other canadians, I dont' think this team is representative of true Canadians. Maybe sutter did select the best Canadians but to shun all of canada from even having a chance to compete for jobs is just a slap to the face. We're not asking to make it a fair selection but my god, how can you be blatantly bias toward the selection.

All 4 goalies from the WHL. Are you telling me there was not one goalie from the other two leagues capable of competing for jobs.

Dylan hunter was probably the biggest shocker. I also have a strong feeling that the remainder of the cuts will be from the OHL and QMJHL.

I can't say I will be cheering for fully for team Canada. But I will have a huge smile on my face if Team Canada does lose.

I hope when the Q gets in charge of the junior program, that they dont' select one player from the WHL. And when the OHL is in charge, I hope they dont' select one player from the WHL.

Hockey will divide Canada if it already hasn't.

Well Said My Friend :handclap:

nikrag03*

stop whinning, the best players from canada were picked for this team. tons of them are from the whl..so what? this is the best canadian team i've ever seen. i'm from quebec, there is only 1 player from quebec on this team but im not complaining because the objective is to have the best players amd win gold. and thats what we did...

letterH

Nov 16, 2003
Kamloops, BC
Visit site
Man, was I waiting for someone to bring this out. It was sickening reading people saying they will smile if Canada loses and may not cheer for Canada. I sure hope they had their Russia jersey on tonight. Getting worked up over WHL players being taken over Q guys is so brutal and looked what happened. Are you guys still upset because we won with more WHL guys? You think Bergereon cares how many Q guys were there, he sure didnt act like it.

Funny, Westerners seem to cheer for the Canadian swimmers at the Olympics every time and we dont cry that some Alberta girls should be diving instead.

I hope this Hart clown and Markov have a good sleep tonight, reflecting on those nice posts they made. Take pride boys, you got the silver.

Lard_Lad

May 12, 2003
Kelowna
Visit site
Best response to the original post is the 4-1 goal: WHL defenceman crushes two Russians, and sends the play up-ice where the OHL playmaker sets up the sniper from the Q. That's a better promotion for national unity than the government could ever come up with.

gb701

Feb 21, 2003
Visit site
Throughout this tournament, the naysayers and regional whiners and individual hypers have been answered by a great Team CANADA - well coached, well disciplined, tough, skilled, top defense, great p/k - just overall dominant.

Looks like Sutter was right all along in picking perhaps the best junior team to ever represent the nation.

deandebean

Jan 14, 2003
Gatineau
Visit site
Sutter was right all along; the best hockey at the minor league level is now played in the west. It wasn't always that way; I remember when my home province, Quebec, had pretty good competitive teams at the under 17 worlds. Heck, the province even won a couple of them, with star players like Fiset and Turgeon.

Instead of criticizing Sutter, can we just admit, once and for all, that hockey is not healthy in this province? Hockey Québec has to do some soul searching in order to find what's wrong with the development programs in this province. Because there is something wrong here.

My son is playing at the atom level and I sense there is some fatal flaws in the development system, specially in the evaluation of players at the lower levels.

Dion Mustard*

Maybe not a great point. But out of the 5 teams at the under 17 tourney from Canada, the team from Quebec was the only one not to get to the semis. And the two teams to advance to the finals were from the West.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Dion Mustard said:
Maybe not a great point. But out of the 5 teams at the under 17 tourney from Canada, the team from Quebec was the only one not to get to the semis. And the two teams to advance to the finals were from the West.
I was gonna say that...

anyways, this guys a real piece of work. 10 bucks says he doesn't respond to this post

btw, the last 4 canadian Gold Medals came from coaches in the west :yo:

Steve Latin*

Great bump. This thread was funny before, and it's even funnier now.

S L

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
I am way, way late to this thread, but it's been bumped up, so I figured I'd pile some droppings of my own on this heap.

First of all... what the?

Secondly, your post itself is far more prejudicial than the act (roster selections) it is denouncing. Not only do you assume the motivation behind the selections was to shun the rest of Canada, you condone--even call for--revenge when the other leagues hold the power. If what Sutter and the selection team did was so wrong, why on Earth would you suggest other parties do it? If someone is doing something wrong, you aren't supposed to condemn it and then do the exact same thing to "show them". That's either childish or amoral, depending on how one sees it.

It seems to me, though the team is obviously justified now, that each pick could have been individually justified at the time of selection. Sure, each person found a few that were a bit puzzling, but when you look at the non-WHL players not selected, you could see where a hockey decision was made, not a prejudicial one.

Sure, you were angry because you aren't from the West; neither am I, nor am I from the East. I have no personal interest in the subject as I'm not from Canada and I honestly see this whole matter as an empty grievance.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Papa Smurf said:
There are rules I have for junior and professional international hockey tounaments:

1. NEVER, under a circumstances, cheer against you're country. I don't care if the whole team came and spray painted you're dog. SUPPORT YOU'RE NATION AT ALL COSTS!

2. NEVER, EVER, cheer for another nation over you're own just because a player on you're favorite league team plays for them. If you are from Country A and you're favorite player(s) plays for Country B, NEVER cheer Country B over Country A!

STAY LOYAL!!!!!!

Thank you.

Wasn't seeking to pick you out specifically as I'm sure many people voiced a similar opinion in this thread, but I'm only peeking around after I made my reply to the initial post.

This post is as silly as the first one. It isn't if that is the way you feel, just as one may feel similarly about their favorite NHL team. But what's wrong with putting another nation's team over yours if one wants? This isn't a war, it is a game. I can see how people get national pride out of the games, and that's fine, but I personally don't and I don't see why people necessarily should.

If you simply meant that's how you feel about the game, then I just wasted a couple minutes typing this. However, I got the impression that you meant people should feel this way, which, as I said, is... silly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad