Hockey has divided Canada - Canadians Cheering Against Team Canada...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
Van said:
He is an HF user and has posted here before.

I know, I was being serious. Looks like he directly addresses these lunatic Eastern conspiricy theorists.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Don_Cherry said:
Where did I compare my hockey knowledge to yours? I used very plain English comparing your hockey mind to the Hockey Canada braintrust. And since I agree with them way more than I agree with you, I can proudly say my line of thinking is clearly closer to professional hockey operations people than yours is.
You are clearly trying to downgrade my knowledge because it varies from Sutter. If Alain Vigneault picked a team far different from the one Sutter picked would that mean his hockey knowledge is lowered because of that. BTW Vigneault is by far the best coach in the QMJHL and was a good coach for the Habs. I am sure he would have picked a different roster.

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
JasonMacIsaac said:
You are clearly trying to downgrade my knowledge because it varies from Sutter. If Alain Vigneault picked a team far different from the one Sutter picked would that mean his hockey knowledge is lowered because of that. BTW Vigneault is by far the best coach in the QMJHL and was a good coach for the Habs. I am sure he would have picked a different roster.

Yes, I am saying that the people who have focused their entire lives over the past 8-12 months on selecting the best people to play for this team are more qualified than anyone else to do it. Including you, me and Alain Vigneault.

BCCHL inactive

JasonMacIsaac said:

So you're saying that Vigneault would have a bias towards picking QMJHL players. What is your problem with Sutter then?

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Don_Cherry said:
Yes, I am saying that the people who have focused their entire lives over the past 8-12 months on selecting the best people to play for this team are more qualified than anyone else to do it. Including you, me and Alain Vigneault.
Thats not the point....if Alain Vigneault was the coach this year and did the same work Sutter did I am willing to bet my 1000 dollars that the roster for Team Canada would be much different from Sutters. Remember Vigneault actually coached in the NHL where Sutter has not.

It isn't as if I would have changed the roster a whole ton, I feel Bourret, McGrath, Brule and Houle should be on the roster. Bernier was allways on the bubble for me.

BCCHL inactive

JasonMacIsaac said:
Thats not the point....if Alain Vigneault was the coach this year and did the same work Sutter did I am willing to bet my 1000 dollars that the roster for Team Canada would be much different from Sutters. Remember Vigneault actually coached in the NHL where Sutter has not.

Sutter also doesn't have much ambition to get to the NHL. After all, in Red Deer, he wears the following hats...

Head Coach
General Manager
President/Director of Hockey Operations
Owner

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Not exactly, every caoch is biast, there is noway around it. Sutter is biast for WHL players, Vigneault for QMJHL players and Hunter for OHL players. What I am saying is Sutter was wrong to pick a few players, he posted a biast list. I was never saying to hang Sutter or to kick him out. This is a board and I was only voiceing my opinion. We are allowed to do that aren't we?

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Van said:
Sutter also doesn't have much ambition to get to the NHL. After all, in Red Deer, he wears the following hats...

Head Coach
General Manager
President/Director of Hockey Operations
Owner
Fine, that still doesn't make him a better hockey mind then Vigneault. Vigneault basicly runs everything in PEI and what was suppost to be one of the worst teams, turned into a playoff contender.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
JasonMacIsaac said:
What part of the QMJHL do you have a grudge against. Crosby and Bergeron the only two from the Q! Why would a player like Brule make it over Bourret? What assets of Brules game make him a better pick then Bourret?

Well Brule is ranked #2 for the upcoming entry draft and he must have something that Central Scouting Service has him as a higher ranked prospect than Bourret or is that BS again by that organization and WHL favouritism ??

Mckeen's does not even have Bourret in its top 25 prospects in its last release ..

Again are they prejudice against the Q .. or am I just for supplying the Facts ... ??

Bob McKenzie's take : http://www.tsn.ca/world_jrs/news_story.asp?ID=107216&hubName=world_jrs

Last edited:

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
The Messenger said:
Well Brule is ranked #2 for the upcoming entry draft and he must have something that Central Scouting Service has him as a higher ranked prospect than Bourret or is that BS again by that organization and WHL favouritism ??

Mckeen's does not even have Bourret in its top 25 prospects in its last release ..

Again are they prejudice against the Q .. or am I just for supplying the Facts ... ??
It takes time for a player to make it up the rankings. Bourret didn't play at the under 18....something that looks impressive on a resume. Brule may be the better prospect (which he is) but Bourret is better now which helps team canada.

Bandwagoner

Nov 18, 2003
Canada
Visit site
Hart_House_Ca said:
I feel there is a need to discuss the other side of canadians who feel the disbelief of the complete bias towards the selection of team WHL, I mean team Canada.

I know there are a lot of canadians who will be cheering for Team Canada. But I have a feeling there will be a few more cheering against them.

I love Canada, but like many other canadians, I dont' think this team is representative of true Canadians. Maybe sutter did select the best Canadians but to shun all of canada from even having a chance to compete for jobs is just a slap to the face. We're not asking to make it a fair selection but my god, how can you be blatantly bias toward the selection.

All 4 goalies from the WHL. Are you telling me there was not one goalie from the other two leagues capable of competing for jobs.

Dylan hunter was probably the biggest shocker. I also have a strong feeling that the remainder of the cuts will be from the OHL and QMJHL.

I can't say I will be cheering for fully for team Canada. But I will have a huge smile on my face if Team Canada does lose.

I hope when the Q gets in charge of the junior program, that they dont' select one player from the WHL. And when the OHL is in charge, I hope they dont' select one player from the WHL.

Hockey will divide Canada if it already hasn't.

Boy I guess now I know what it's like to be a Leafs fan.

Also, wasn't the last time Team Canada was made up from the majority of Eastern players back in 1998? How did we do?? If I can recall correctly we battled hard in that game for seventh place, but Kazakhastan was just too much of a hockey power to overcome.

But anyways, this happens every single year, and most people have to realize that Sutter didn't apply for this job, Hockey Canada went to him and Sutter only agreed if it was on his terms. And seeming as we haven't won the gold medal in umpteen years, I am going to give him a shot no matter what he wants to do. Heck he could take the Red Deer Rebels for all I care. Just what we've been doing in the past hasn't been working, why shouldn't there be some changes?

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
this is probably top five dumbest threads i've ever read (or forced myself to read)

let's penalize a league in CANADA for producing great players

shut up and cheer for CANADA, or don't even bother watching

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
JasonMacIsaac said:
It takes time for a player to make it up the rankings. Bourret didn't play at the under 18....something that looks impressive on a resume. Brule may be the better prospect (which he is) but Bourret is better now which helps team canada.

That's your opinion and unfortunately you are alone in that theory that Bourret is better than Brule as the proffesional agencies do not agree ... I have seen Brule many times and he is a great player .. In fact if I had to add another 2005 draftee to the team not counting Crosby and Brule than I would pick 6-foot-3 Benoit Pouliot of Sudbury OHL ....

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
andora said:
this is probably top five dumbest threads i've ever read (or forced myself to read)

let's penalize a league in CANADA for producing great players

shut up and cheer for CANADA, or don't even bother watching
Nobody wants to penalize the WHL....well I don't. I just wanted the player selection to be fair. Boyd is not any more effective then Bourret or McGrarth no matter how you use them.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
The Messenger said:
That's your opinion and unfortunately you are alone in that theory that Bourret is better than Brule as the proffesional agencies do not agree ... I have seen Brule many times and he is a great player .. In fact if I had to add another 2005 draftee to the team not counting Crosby and Brule than I would pick 6-foot-3 Benoit Pouliot of Sudbury OHL ....
I am not saying Bourret should be picked ahead of Brule. Brule is a better prospect through and through. His potential is higher then Bourret. The point I am argueing is that Bourret is the better player now. Team Canada isn't looking for the prospect with best potential....they are looking for the best player. If that weren't the case Dawes and Dixon would not have made Team Canada last year.

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
JasonMacIsaac said:
Nobody wants to penalize the WHL....well I don't. I just wanted the player selection to be fair. Boyd is not any more effective then Bourret or McGrarth no matter how you use them.

than what makes it fair? if these guys are all the more effective, what's fair to boyd then for sutter to say "hmm, we need some guys from the east to make it fair"

how is that then fair to boyd?

Phanuthier*

You know, alot of you guys are getting worked up on this conspiracy, trying either to prove that Canada is against the East (I never thought I'd say that before or disprove it. Some of you guys are really making moutains out of ant hills here. Realistically speaking, 1 guy does not call all the shots. When taking into regard something as big as hockey Canada, I'm sure there are alot more people invovled then Brent Sutter and his co-conspirators. Sutter may have final say on the selectiosn, but that shouldn't have any bearing on the current ratio it is now. In the end, I'm sure that Sutter has the team in mind over personal roots.

Bottum line for me, whether it a team full of Edmontonians Winnipegers, Flames or Oiler prospects, Calgary Hitman or Red Deer Rebels, I cheer for Canada. Why? National pride, simple as that.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
andora said:
than what makes it fair? if these guys are all the more effective, what's fair to boyd then for sutter to say "hmm, we need some guys from the east to make it fair"

how is that then fair to boyd?
If he were to do it based on region then it wouldn't be fair. I don't think he would have to do it that way. I think the Bourret and McGrath are moe skilled then Boyd. It is fair for people to think otherwise though. If it were unfair to give it to eastern players then why not Brule. He is from the WHL and is a much better player then Boyd.

Phanuthier*

JasonMacIsaac said:
Not exactly, every caoch is biast, there is noway around it. Sutter is biast for WHL players, Vigneault for QMJHL players and Hunter for OHL players. What I am saying is Sutter was wrong to pick a few players, he posted a biast list. I was never saying to hang Sutter or to kick him out. This is a board and I was only voiceing my opinion. We are allowed to do that aren't we?
What are you voicing your opinion on, exactly? Bias or the type of players picked? I'm not sure I get the point here.

Brent Sutter picks player to play his style. That's not out of the ordinary; I know for the Sutter clan, they'd rather take hard-nosed, go-through-the-wall type players over skilled players with little drive. The whole lunch-bucket attitude runs in the blood of the Sutters, so you shouldn't be surprised about some of the players he picked.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Splatman Phanutier said:
You know, alot of you guys are getting worked up on this conspiracy, trying either to prove that Canada is against the East (I never thought I'd say that before or disprove it. Some of you guys are really making moutains out of ant hills here. Realistically speaking, 1 guy does not call all the shots. When taking into regard something as big as hockey Canada, I'm sure there are alot more people invovled then Brent Sutter and his co-conspirators. Sutter may have final say on the selectiosn, but that shouldn't have any bearing on the current ratio it is now. In the end, I'm sure that Sutter has the team in mind over personal roots.

Bottum line for me, whether it a team full of Edmontonians Winnipegers, Flames or Oiler prospects, Calgary Hitman or Red Deer Rebels, I cheer for Canada. Why? National pride, simple as that.

Bob Mackenzie take :

Head coach Brent Sutter is charged with winning Canada's first gold medal at the world juniors since 1997. If he feels more comfortable doing that with a majority of WHL players, so be it. He's the coach; he's the one whose chestnuts will get roasted over an open fire if things don't go well.

And it's not as if Sutter's was the only voice in this process. Director of player personnel Blair Mackasey, a born and bred Montrealer, has seen every available player countless times. He's criss-crossed this country so many times it would make your head spin. No geographic area was dissed here; they invited the 32 players they think give them the best chance to win. End of story.

http://www.tsn.ca/world_jrs/news_story.asp?ID=107216&hubName=world_jrs

gmdevils

The Messenger said:
Bob Mackenzie take :

Head coach Brent Sutter is charged with winning Canada's first gold medal at the world juniors since 1997. If he feels more comfortable doing that with a majority of WHL players, so be it. He's the coach; he's the one whose chestnuts will get roasted over an open fire if things don't go well.

http://www.tsn.ca/world_jrs/news_story.asp?ID=107216&hubName=world_jrs

Those were exactly my sentiments about 500 pages ago!

Phanuthier*

JasonMacIsaac said:
If he were to do it based on region then it wouldn't be fair. I don't think he would have to do it that way. I think the Bourret and McGrath are moe skilled then Boyd. It is fair for people to think otherwise though. If it were unfair to give it to eastern players then why not Brule. He is from the WHL and is a much better player then Boyd.
Besides the whole schpeel about roles and such (ie. Kris Draper being on Team Canada at the World Cup) maybe it has something to do with the fact that Brent Sutter already has his team picked out in his mind, and some players are easier to cut now then later?

Just a thought

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Splatman Phanutier said:
What are you voicing your opinion on, exactly? Bias or the type of players picked? I'm not sure I get the point here.

Brent Sutter picks player to play his style. That's not out of the ordinary; I know for the Sutter clan, they'd rather take hard-nosed, go-through-the-wall type players over skilled players with little drive. The whole lunch-bucket attitude runs in the blood of the Sutters, so you shouldn't be surprised about some of the players he picked.
A little bit of both. My main point is the type ofplayers he picked. With Gatzlaf and Carter going out vs the opposing teams top players then I don't see the need for a pure checking line.

The biast portion has mainly to do with the type of players he likes. He likes those checking line players who do play in the WHL so his list favors the WHL an alot.

The goaltender selections are way off IMO but everyone seems scared to pick Martin Houle. In the draft till Philly got him and for Team Canada.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad