Hockey has divided Canada - Canadians Cheering Against Team Canada...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silver

Mar 23, 2002
California
Visit site
I want the ten minutes of my life back that I just wasted from the idiot who started this thread.

Well, at least the Canadians got their butts handed to them tonight by the Russians. Just goes to show you what happens when you pick a lot of WHL players, I guess.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
The "Q" is a glorified midget league as someone put it. Sutter picked the best canadians and im not surprised most of those players are from the WHL. No french goalie=gold medal for canada j/k.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
ice berg slim said:
The "Q" is a glorified midget league as someone put it. Sutter picked the best canadians and im not surprised most of those players are from the WHL. No french goalie=gold medal for canada j/k.
I hope you are joking about the whole thing. In the next two years QJMHL players will be counted on largely to play big roles on the Canadian under 20 team.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Jeez...I never saw this thread before the tournament, and it's a damn shame I didn't. Yes, I'm a westerner. Personally, I don't care if you load up the team with guys from the Q, the O, or from freaking Nunavut--as long as it's a team that can win. I had my share of grievances with some of the selections, but hey, it's Hockey Canada's perogative to ice the team they want.

As for the incredible homerism/Eastern-bias/negligence to anywhere but Eastern Canada goes...wow. Eastern Canada raises some great players, but so does Western Canada. Phaneuf and Weber, our two top d-men and Phaneuf who's been a monster for Canada for two years now?

Fact is, this Team Canada won. It's CAPTAIN was from the OHL. It's most talked about player(Crosby) was from the QMJHL. Bergeron played his junior in the Q as well. Interesting that Richards, Carter and Bergeron--Captain and two alternates, a good portion of the leadership structure for this team--were all from Eastern leagues.
"This thread was funny before, it's even funnier now."

That it is...the argument held no water to begin with, and it's sunk like the Titanic now.

~Canucklehead~

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
letterH said:
I hope this Hart clown and Markov have a good sleep tonight, reflecting on those nice posts they made.

I know the types. They spout whatever goes through their empty head and then forget as fast as they typed it. Then if they get embarassed too often, they change user name so you can't properly acknowledge you're talking to a ****ing clown.

All this to say, lets rejoice with the gold win but unfortunately, we will have to live with the clowns a long time.

I must say I am amused by the thread. As for Q hockey, well it's not THAT bad, guys. Let's not get reactionary here. It's actually getting a little better lately although there are still kinks.

Hockey goes in cycles, don't forget. Every year brings a new batch of guys and one area of the world can look quite poor or outstanding for a few years. It just happens that right now, if we talk U20, the WHL was king of the WORLD, not just Canada.

And an all QMJHL team would not have been bad. I still don't like the blueliners around here but it's getting slightly better. Anyways, these things go in cycle as I said. Maybe in a few years the Swedes will be tops. A few years ago the Czech Republic was on a roll.

As far as the CHL is concerned, it does seem like each regional faction excels at certain things. But overall I like the whole CHL and just want the best Canadians at the U20. Heck, it doesn't matter if they come from the CHL, the NHL or college to me. Just ice the best team. I think the process is often hurt by politics but the last two years were better. This year was the best by far. I'm proud to say I had no complaints from the get go. Very proud of our accomplishment and hope the thread won't take a turn into bashing the WHL, OHL or Q. All three have something to offer.

bigguns

Dec 7, 2004
Now that endless people have read this mindless dribble and undoubtedly got some laughs but still wish they could get the time they spent reading this back it would be nice to hear about how maybe sutter wasn't as idiotic as some thought. He did a great job picking players and leading them to victory. Watching the tournament the players people were complaining made it like McArthur and Fraser were the ones who ended up stepping up while lock players like dawes and stewart (if i'm not mistaken he's from the EAST right???) initially struggled. My point is that no one is going to like every player picked but jumping on the conspiracy bandwagon from the comfort of your office chair is ridiculous and it's pretty quiet now that the team has proven doubters wrong. It would be awfully nice to hear markov or hart house admit that they were wrong

kerrly

May 16, 2004
Regina
bigguns said:
Now that endless people have read this mindless dribble and undoubtedly got some laughs but still wish they could get the time they spent reading this back it would be nice to hear about how maybe sutter wasn't as idiotic as some thought. He did a great job picking players and leading them to victory. Watching the tournament the players people were complaining made it like McArthur and Fraser were the ones who ended up stepping up while lock players like dawes and stewart (if i'm not mistaken he's from the EAST right???) initially struggled. My point is that no one is going to like every player picked but jumping on the conspiracy bandwagon from the comfort of your office chair is ridiculous and it's pretty quiet now that the team has proven doubters wrong. It would be awfully nice to hear markov or hart house admit that they were wrong

The sad thing is, all the know it alls who were spewing their so called genious about how idiotic Sutter and his picks were, will just avoid this thread rather than admitting they were wrong. And then they will go onto another thread and the cycle will continue. Its a big pet peave of mine, and it drives me nuts. Oh well, there are bigger problems in life than this.

kerrly

May 16, 2004
Regina
bigguns said:

The sad thing is, all the know it alls who were spewing their so called genious about how idiotic Sutter and his picks were, will just avoid this thread rather than admitting they were wrong. Its a big pet peave of mine, and it drives me nuts. This is a constant in Canadian hockey, even the teams Gretzky and crew picked were called rediculous. Not a big deal though. We all know the posters who look like an a** after this.

tritone

Aug 26, 2003
Laval
Visit site
Hart_House_Ca said:
If we could separate the mountains from the rest of Canada, we would. Didn't celine dion have a song named: "love can move mountains"? Where is celion dion when you need her.....

Not only do you start a pointless thread but you manage to quote possibly one of the most annoying singers (if we can even call her that) within the thread to support stupidity....you're really as non-canadian as they come buddy

Kings16

Jun 30, 2004
Hart_House_Ca said:
Notice how the majority of the people defending this team is from Western Canada. Isn't that ironic?

Normally it's the Quebec media that try to stir up this idiotic sentiment to sell papers. I see there's no border on idiocy.

C in Ottawa (is that East enough for you?)

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
Couldn't fight the temptation to reply again. Interesting that hart_house_ca and markov have been nowhere to be found on this thread, or any other thread that I've seen. If they have, they've probably been spewing hypocritical verbal diarrhea about how much they loved the most dominant team in WJC history. Come on guys, have the courage and sense of accountability to admit you were wrong. Each of you, be a man. Truth be told, in terms of impact guys, it was almost evenly split between east and west. It was role players and foot soldiers, guys like McArthur, Fraser, Beauchemin and Seabrook, guys who still played critical roles, where the Dub gained the lead.

Fact is, WHL has consistently been producing the best players for a decade now. Fact is, our last four WJC gold medal winning coaches came from the Dub. Fact is, Sutter should be offered the job right now. Only Brian Kilrea is in his class for junior coaches right now.

ZombieMatt

May 20, 2002
Yup, I was one who was saying that Bernier and Picard deserved to be on this team.

But I also said that the only thing that mattered was that the team won. And it did.

Do I still think they should have been on the team? Yup. But it doesn't matter, the team won, and did so in dominating fashion. You could have changed half the forwards on this team for guys who didn't make it and they probably still would have won.

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
And who would Picard and Bernier made it at the expense of? They aren't checkers, so there goes one line. You have all the returning talent (Crosby, Dawes, Stewart, Richards, Getzlaf, Carter, Colliton), plus Bergeron, so there's eight spots gone, so you have two left: Perry and Ladd. Perry's leading the OHL in scoring, Ladd provided a solid all-round presence to this team.

Eric Fehr and Ryan Stone are better than Picard and Bernier, so it goes to show how far the depth chart they really were.

Coburnfan05

Feb 20, 2004
SOB Southern Ontario
Such a poor argument...I am an Ontarian and don't give a **** who is on the team as long as we ice the most competitive team and win.

Seems to me you froget previous years when other Canadian jr team were loaded with talent from the "O" or "Q".

ZombieMatt

May 20, 2002
God Bless Canada said:
And who would Picard and Bernier made it at the expense of? They aren't checkers, so there goes one line. You have all the returning talent (Crosby, Dawes, Stewart, Richards, Getzlaf, Carter, Colliton), plus Bergeron, so there's eight spots gone, so you have two left: Perry and Ladd. Perry's leading the OHL in scoring, Ladd provided a solid all-round presence to this team.

Eric Fehr and Ryan Stone are better than Picard and Bernier, so it goes to show how far the depth chart they really were.

I'm not getting in to the last comment because that's a moot point.

Just for information sake, Alex Picard very, very easily could have filled the role of a checker. He is a Ryan Smyth-esque player. I would have named him rather than Dixon.

Steve Bernier would have filled the same role as Andrew Ladd, but providing more creativity. BUT, Ladd had the in to the team because of his synnergy with Ryan Getzlaf.

The team won, that's what matters, I want to stress that's how I think about all this, but I'm just saying what I did for information sake.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad