Hockey Canada WJC Summer Camp (roster & feedback from camp)

ct2111

Mar 29, 2009
I think this roster was named before the draft. And McNeill isn't on the roster.

My point is, if he has the talent to go in the first round it shouldn't be a surprise being selected for summer camp. I'd be disappointed (and surprised), if my team's 1st didn't make it.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
If I had to pick from players there...

Assuming all these players stay out of the NHL. I omitted ones I think will be in the NHL. Connolly, Nugent-Hopkins, Johansen, Couturier. I think Couturier and Connolly could be back however.

Jaden Schwartz - Ryan Strome - Tyler Toffoli
Jonathan Huberdeau - Mark Scheifele - Christian Thomas
Matt Puempel - Greg McKegg - Mark Stone
Devante Smith-Pelly - Quinton Howden - Patrick Holland
Freddie Hamilton

Ryan Murray - Ryan Murphy
Erik Gudbranson - Brandon Gormley
Dougie Hamilton - Duncan Siemens
Mark Pysyk

Mark Visentin
Scott Wedgewood

E: Thats a really solid team. Foward and goalies wise. Defense is a little inexpereinced but I think they'd do really well.

The defense is solid and it would be great to see a 2012 defenseman make the team. What's the list of defensemen who made the team in their draft year? Can't be too many.

I think Gauthier-Leduc has a good shot of making the team ahead of Murray, Siemens or Hamilton. The guys I think are locks are Gudbranson, Gormley, Murphy and Pysyk.

ct2111

Mar 29, 2009
The defense is solid and it would be great to see a 2012 defenseman make the team. What's the list of defensemen who made the team in their draft year? Can't be too many.

I think Gauthier-Leduc has a good shot of making the team ahead of Murray, Siemens or Hamilton. The guys I think are locks are Gudbranson, Gormley, Murphy and Pysyk.

I approve. :nod:

AidanPhalen13*

Does anybody Think Joe Morrow or Scott Harrington will have a shot?

rick3652

Aug 18, 2009
Toronto
Does anybody Think Joe Morrow or Scott Harrington will have a shot?

every one that was invite to the summer camp has a shot. They will take a 92 over a 93 if every thing else is equal. So all they have to do is be one of the best. then keep it going in the Season and then get an invite in December and again be one of the best.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
these lists seriously lack of Beaulieu

Again, unless he has a truly spectacular year, he'll have an extremely tough time beating out the PMDs who are already virtual locks (Murphy, Gormley, Hamilton, with Murray likely being a lock as well). Bigger defensemen like McIlrath, Siemens and Oleksiak would do more for the team then Beaulieu.

Iwishihadacup

Jan 23, 2008
Quebec City
Again, unless he has a truly spectacular year, he'll have an extremely tough time beating out the PMDs who are already virtual locks (Murphy, Gormley, Hamilton, with Murray likely being a lock as well). Bigger defensemen like McIlrath, Siemens and Oleksiak would do more for the team then Beaulieu.

how are gormley and murray locks exactly?

GM17*

Gormley and Murphy are locks. Murray is likely. Beaulieu would be fortunate to sneak on for powerplay minutes and 3rd pairing matchups.

you can't have pmd pmd pmd pmd pmd pmd sah. might as well just throw some forwards back there.

Nov 16, 2007
in your head
Beaulieu likely not being on the team should be a compliment to the quality puck movers Canada has to choose between rather than an insult to Beaulieu imo.

Andy Dufresne

Jun 17, 2009
Gormley and Murphy are locks. Murray is likely. Beaulieu would be fortunate to sneak on for powerplay minutes and 3rd pairing matchups.

you can't have pmd pmd pmd pmd pmd pmd sah. might as well just throw some forwards back there.

I'd bet money on Murray being there. He also doesn't qualify as PMD if your definition is a great offensive, gambling, weak defensive d-man.
Murray is very solid in his own end and his decision making on when to gamble or not is one of his strongest attributes imo. +- can be a misleading stat at times, in Murray's case I don't think so: +50 over the last 2 years, +18 last year on a bad team (+8 next best on team).

leafsfuture

Mar 30, 2008
Gormely is a lock for 3 reasons:
1. Everyone said he would have been on last years team if available
2. Hes the only 92 at camp who was invited as a 17 year old, where he was Pierre's annual "this 17 year old should have been on team Canada" following in the steps of Taylor Hall, and followed by Ryan Nugent hopkins
3. Hes the best 92 defencemen in Canada, and is probably the frontrunner, with Ryan Murphy for CHL defenceman of the year

Playmaker09

Sep 11, 2008

I have to disagree. On paper he looks like a good fit to make the team.

Gudbranson should make the NHL and Murray-Murphy has already proven to work at the international level (likely as 2nd pairing). That leaves Gormley and Hamilton who are IMO the two top Ds at the camp and so they probably play top pair (plus I've always seen Gormley/Hamilton referred to as more of a TWD than pure PMD).

That leaves the 3rd pairing. I think Pysyk will have to play himself out of a spot considering he's pretty much the only RHD left that has a legitimate shot. So I think the 6/7 will provide two different options for the 3rd pairing, one of Siemens/McIlrath/Oleksiak for a shutdown pairing and probably Beaulieu for another two-way pairing.

Of course that doesn't take into account camp surprises and disappointments which are all but a guarantee.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad