Hockey Canada WJC Summer Camp (roster & feedback from camp)

leafsfuture

Mar 30, 2008
Who would captain this team?

If Gudbranson ends up on the team then I would say him, without him I'd probably go with Schwartz.

Schwartz, Johansen, Howden and Gormely would be my choices for A's and the C. Personally ive never been a big Gud fan, and after he said that he would not shy away from making legal hits that injured players I lost some respect for him.

Id also shy away from giving Conolly and Couturier letters as I want them to focus on producing rather than leading the team

Leviathan

Nov 25, 2008
I agree that Couturier and Conolly should be left to focus on offence, but realistically I'd say theres very little chance Gormley gets an A over either. The vets usually get the letters.

Beerfest*

As already said by others in this thread, im suprised Reinhart didnt get an invite. Good to see Holland get an invite, i wasnt expecting that.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
My opinion is that Howden should get the C.

I'm happy for Brother Freddie to get invited, as well as the undrafted Pirate Sgarbossa, but I am, like everyone else, very confused over the goalie choices.

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
I'm excited to see Schwartz play considering he was injured for the majority of the WJC last year. Also excited to see Toffoli, Murphy, Smith-Pelly, Rattie, Puempel and Gormley as well, I hope all those guys make the team.

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke
Team Canada's defense will be miles better next year than it was this year. Why do I say this? There won't be an anchor on the D-corps that makes a mistake every time he touches it (cough******Dylan Olsen******cough).

Jabba11

Hockey Lobby
Nov 28, 2009
hockeylobby.blogspot.com
My opinion is that Howden should get the C.

I'm happy for Brother Freddie to get invited, as well as the undrafted Pirate Sgarbossa, but I am, like everyone else, very confused over the goalie choices.

If he doesn't make the NHL, Ryan Johansen is my top choice to be the team captain. Not Gudbranson nor Schwartz and Howden.

Remember people, this is just the summer camp roster..not the real invite camp.

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011
Of all the 2012 eligible d-men, interesting to see Cody Ceci there along with Ryan Murray obviously.

Well, they are probably the best D men left. Plus those two are both going into their third OHL year due to their late birthday, the same OHL year as many on the list. Plus they cannot play for U18. It makes the most sense to have them here.

And truth be told, I cannot think of anyone missing on D much better.

Speaking specifically for Ceci as I go to about half a 67's games a year, this kid is deceptively good, and when he gets aggressive, he is one of the best in the OHL. He can outskate a good number of OHL forwards, and averaged close to a ppg over the last 40 games of the season or so. Uses he size well in the corners, but really does not hit as much as he should. I though he played very well on the U18 and was one of their better D men.

And IMHO Murray needs no justification.

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007
Domingue was offered to all teams during the Q draft and nobody wanted him...

He is not bad, but very inconsistent and didn't prove anything...

He's very talented but so far he showed he can't perform under pressure.

I don't know why. He did well when he won the U18 in 2008 and now he seems to crumble when the stakes are high.

Leviathan

Nov 25, 2008
Yeah, Visentin is going to be the starter at this tournament whether people like it or not. At least that's the overwhelming impression I got from the coaches.

Leviathan

Nov 25, 2008
That's a good question that's been asked since the roster was announced a while back and I'm not sure anybody knows. I guess they just didn't think he was good enough or they had enough centers already. I would have thought he was good enough to make it though, so your guess is as good as mine.

Leviathan

Nov 25, 2008
Nice to see Stu Percy get the call, tough competition though.

Yeah, a bit surprising but really shows how good a player he is to get the call. Not a great chance to make it but he wouldn't be out of place if he did. Kind of a Golobeuf-like presence (and theyre both from Oakville too)

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006
I think Ryan Spooner will be one of the surprises at camp. Some people may view him as a longshot, but I bet he makes this team easily.

ct2111

Mar 29, 2009
Yeah, a bit surprising but really shows how good a player he is to get the call. Not a great chance to make it but he wouldn't be out of place if he did. Kind of a Golobeuf-like presence (and theyre both from Oakville too)

To be selected for summer camp isn't really surprising for a 1st rounder.

Leviathan

Nov 25, 2008
I think Percy making the camp - not to take anything away from him - has more to do with a lack of solid older defenseman available. This is going to be a young team and the coaches don't have a choice.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad