Hockey Canada WJC Summer Camp (roster & feedback from camp)

Psychoil

Mar 10, 2011
White Team's offense was big time disappointing.
One line had Howden, Couturier and Rattie on it. Rattie looked slow and didn't have any hands to speak of. Howden was pretty much invisible at both ends of the ice, and for such a big, highly-touted guy, Sean Couturier was also pretty quiet out there. Made a few decent plays, but this line didn't have much of anything. Pretty disappointing with the hype around Couturier and Howden as a WJ Team vet.

RNH played with Schwartz and Smith-Pelly. He was absolutely invisible. Made a few crafty plays, but his linemates outshone him, especially DSP. RNH lost almost every draw, almost every battle for the puck, was separated from the puck almost every time in the o-zone, and looked lost on d, though that was probably the best part of his game tonight (defense). Based on what I saw, he looked and especially played too small for this team, let alone the NHL. Schwartz made a few good plays offensively, carries the puck well, but is soft and got knocked off the puck any time somebody decided to physically challenge him. Smith-Pelly was probably the best player for Team White, though. He played like a bat out of hell. Knocked Oleksiak (who's 6'7, 244 according to the camp roster) on his ass while on the forecheck, and made it look easy. Created probably a dozen turnovers just by his strong skating and stick-work. Created another few turnovers by taking the body...and then back on d, he looked like the centre, as he was picking up extra guys down low and in the slot all night. Actually, now that I think of it, RNH wasn't bad on D, so Schwartz must have really been missing his defensive assignments a lot, cuz there always seemed to be an open man against this line, and RNH and DSP looked like they were overcompensating quite a bit-- the defensive pairings were also subpar to Team Red's though, so it could be a combinationg of things. Next line was Puempel, Scheifele and Toffoli. Scheifele was a solid two-way centre. Created some offense, was the only reliable defensive player on the line, and overall looked pretty good. Toffoli was a pretty good skater and did a reasonable job on the forecheck and providing some offense with Scheifele. Looked pretty lost in the d-zone though. Puempel was pretty quiet out there. Didn't notice him much, but he wasn't helping offensively much at all. Last line was Danault, Jenner and Thomas, with Greg McKegg as the utility player rotating on each line. They were a good energy line. Danault was outstanding on the forecheck, a good skater, and played well defensively. Won lots of puck battles too. Thomas has some incredible wheels and a great release. Had a few nice shots, and carried the puck very well...also positionally pretty sound. Jenner was the one who didn't look too comfortable out there. He was tentative offensively, and was dreadful defensively. It was like Danault and Thomas just quietly agreed between each other to start picking up Jenner's assignments. McKegg wasn't really noticeable at all.

If I had to pick a team based on this lineup and the one scrimmage I saw, it'd be this:

Visentin
Wedgewood

Gormley-Murphy
Gudbranson-Beaulieu
Hamilton-Oleksiak

Extra: Siemens

Lessio-Johansen-Ritchie
Huberdeau-Scheifele-Connolly
Danault-Hamilton-DSP
Thomas-Strome-Gallagher

Extras: Couturier, Toffoli

I recognize that it seems pretty crazy to cut RNH, but he was one of the weaker players tonight (even more painful for me to see cuz I'm an Oilers fan).

Hope this helps :)

ok so can you please tell me why TSN said Ryan Nugent Hopkins was one of the best players out there? He scored on his first shift too there buddy....not sure who to believe. They also said Shwartz and RNH were looking great in terms of chemistry

Wheatking

Sep 25, 2006
ok so can you please tell me why TSN said Ryan Nugent Hopkins was one of the best players out there? He scored on his first shift too there buddy....not sure who to believe. They also said Shwartz and RNH were looking great in terms of chemistry

Let's not forget that Ray Ferraro's son played with RNH on the Rebels. Ray must be very familiar with him and understands that he isn't the type of player that needs to be flying all over the ice to have a good game. That just isn't his style.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Geez, one guy said he didn't like RNH's game and Oiler fans are already getting their hackles up. Take it easy...

Yeah, there was no need for those Oiler fans to jump on him for having an opinion but when he said that RNH should be cut from the final WJC roster based on one scrimmage, it makes you go hmmm....

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
Yeah, there was no need for those Oiler fans to jump on him for having an opinion but when he said that RNH should be cut from the final WJC roster based on one scrimmage, it makes you go hmmm....

Well he was just making his roster based off of one day's scrimmages, probably more to give an idea of who was good and who wasn't. I'm sure he isn't actively campaigning to keep RNH off the team or anything..

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008

No he didn't. He said if he were to make a roster made up of the best players in the scrimmage, RNH wouldn't be on it.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
It is why you take people's opinion with a grain of salt. One of the harder things to evaluate is playing without the puck. Something amateur scouts have a very hard time with

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol

TSN showed the pretty little goal he scored and talked about the player RNH was, they're not going to bash a 1st overall pick, especially not one from a Canadian team anyway. It was one game and I definitely believe that RNH had a bad game. One game in the middle of the summer, it doesn't matter all that much anyway. It's a first look.

KingJet*

RNH will probably have a 9 game stint with the Oil then goes back to Red Deer then their the Memorial Cup Favorite, but I bet if Last year if Edmonton took Seguin, they would've taken Landeskog this year, but we'll look into this year.

This is what I think it'll look like.

Huberdeau-RNH-Connolly
Toffolli-Scheifele-Strome
McKegg-Howden-Ritchie
Lessio-Couturier-DSP
Ross

Murray-Gormley
Oleksiak-Murphy
McIlrath-Pysyk

Visentin
Wedgewood

Wheatking

Sep 25, 2006
Geez, one guy said he didn't like RNH's game and Oiler fans are already getting their hackles up. Take it easy...

What has been said? We aren't allowed to disagree. I appreciate that he took the time to make such a long post but that doesn't mean I have to agree with him. I was also at the scrimmage last night. RNH looked alright. Not dominant but not bad either. He was middle of the pack. Good enough to make the team. I think the expectations were a little unrealistic. RNH isn't going to have you on the edge of your seat every shift and it sounds like that's what Horseradish was expecting.

Nothing wrong with a little disagreement. However, it is interesting that everyone would rather take the more negative opinion as fact and just dismiss everyone else's opinions because they must be homers.

Coco the Monkey*

Aug 31, 2010
I really hope Couturier isn't on this team if he keeps playing like that. Last thing Canada needs is a lazy forward with no drive.

Psychoil

Mar 10, 2011
Im not jumping on anything...im simply asking why TSN had a positive story on RNH and horseradish had a negative one. I don't understand how you can say RNH was terrible/invisible/soft when TSN reported that he looked very creative and created space for his teammates.

trust me, if i was gonna jump to defend RNH, i would of been alot different about it

DoctorDoak

Mar 21, 2006
Ontario
RNH will probably have a 9 game stint with the Oil then goes back to Red Deer then their the Memorial Cup Favorite, but I bet if Last year if Edmonton took Seguin, they would've taken Landeskog this year, but we'll look into this year.

Huberdeau-RNH-Connolly
McKegg-Howden-Ritchie
Lessio-Couturier-DSP
Ross

Murray-Gormley
Oleksiak-Murphy
McIlrath-Pysyk

Visentin
Wedgewood

Where are Schwartz, Johansen and Gudbranson? You realize that returnees are pretty much never cut, right?

AidanPhalen13*

Good to hear that Connolly is playing good. Any update on the injury?

Where are Schwartz, Johansen and Gudbranson? You realize that returnees are pretty much never cut, right?

All except Schwartz should be in NHL. He probably just forgot him.

KingJet*

Schwartz I should have included, but Johansen and Gudbranson will probably play in the NHL next season, Gudbranson might have that little stint, Johansen I think will stay in Columbus

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008

Huberdeau-RNH-Connolly
McKegg-Howden-Ritchie
Lessio-Couturier-DSP
Ross

Murray-Gormley
Oleksiak-Murphy
McIlrath-Pysyk

Visentin
Wedgewood

If the Oilers took Seguin last year they would have taken Larsson this year. Not Landeskog.

And what I'm actually hoping for is that if he's ready for camp, and he does well in his 1st 9 games that we keep him and loan him for the World Juniors.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Schwartz I should have included, but Johansen and Gudbranson will probably play in the NHL next season, Gudbranson might have that little stint, Johansen I think will stay in Columbus

Gud is a lock

Iwishihadacup

Jan 23, 2008
Quebec City

Huberdeau-RNH-Connolly
McKegg-Howden-Ritchie
Lessio-Couturier-DSP
Ross

Murray-Gormley
Oleksiak-Murphy
McIlrath-Pysyk

Visentin
Wedgewood

Add: Beaulieu, Gallagher