Hockey Canada WJC Summer Camp (roster & feedback from camp)

ShameOnYouZidlicky

Jun 4, 2010
Very surprised to see no Pickard, Petrovic, McNeill or McIlrath. Also good for Sgarbossa who went undrafted in the 2010 draft.

Wheatking

Sep 25, 2006
Nice to see Tyler Bunz get an invite. I think he's underrated(even by Oilers fans). I actually have higher hopes for Bunz than I do Olivier Roy.

Bunz: 35-13-4, 0.919 Save%, 2.47 GAA and 3 Shutouts

He had the 2nd best Save% in the WHL and the 3rd best GAA.

YEGJuniorFan

Dec 3, 2009
Edmonton
Nice to see Tyler Bunz get an invite. I think he's underrated(even by Oilers fans). I actually have higher hopes for Bunz than I do Olivier Roy. Bunz: 35-13-4, 0.919 Save%, 2.47 GAA and 3 Shutouts

He had the 2nd best Save% in the WHL and the 3rd best GAA.

i do as well, he was unreal this year and is much bigger than roy. im excited to see him play at the summer camp

Jordan Eberle

Jan 10, 2010
Canada
Is Visentin pretty much a lock? I wasn't that impressed with him last WJC, but I didn't watch him during the year so who knows..

Neil Hamburger

Five Bagger!
Jun 15, 2010
Toronto
:( I was hoping to see Brad Ross this year, looks like he doesn't have much of a chance now. What do people think of Mckegg's chances for the team?

FireEverybody*

:( I was hoping to see Brad Ross this year, looks like he doesn't have much of a chance now. What do people think of Mckegg's chances for the team?

Mckegg chances will be about as good as most the players invited.
Impress and he is in.

Ross must have went over the line 1 too many times last year for Hockey Canada. Kind of pisses me off. He is perfect for the bottom 6. And would stay out of trouble playing for TC. Could have been a awesome opportunity for him.

He will be wearing the Maple Leaf soon enough. :handclap:

rick3652

Aug 18, 2009
Toronto
Mckegg chances will be about as good as most the players invited.
Impress and he is in.

Ross must have went over the line 1 too many times last year for Hockey Canada. Kind of pisses me off. He is perfect for the bottom 6. And would stay out of trouble playing for TC. Could have been a awesome opportunity for him.

McKegg has to beat out all these and maybe some more at center

Johonsen,nugent-hopkins,huberdeau,couturier,strome so i do not like his chances. Ross could not make this team if they were to pick three teams from all the players in Canada. Just because the leafs picked them does not mean they are great players.

Leafidelity

Best Sport/Worst League
Apr 6, 2008
Downtown Canada
McKegg has as good a shot as any of those players. Hockey Canada doesn't select their team based on draft order. They very well may want to change the vet core after last year.

Just because a player makes Canada doesn't mean they're future star players.

Neil Hamburger

Five Bagger!
Jun 15, 2010
Toronto

Johonsen,nugent-hopkins,huberdeau,couturier,strome so i do not like his chances. Ross could not make this team if they were to pick three teams from all the players in Canada. Just because the leafs picked them does not mean they are great players.

Mckegg plays left-wing as well as centre. Ross would certainly make this team if they picked even two teams. Both players are very good prospects, and have fairly good shots at the NHL.

FireEverybody*

Yeah I never said he was a great player.

It would be shocking a McKegg that imresses would would get the call over these "great players". That would never happen ..

Wait what ? That is what Team Canada has always done....
You are looking at draft ranking alone... obviously.

Mckegg is a good player and has just as much chance as any of those players to make it. It is not like it would be news if a highly ranked prospect gets cuts from the WJC team ...

Actually kind of standard .. when the player is young.

Last edited by a moderator:

Leviathan

Nov 25, 2008
As a Leaf fan I would be extremely excited to see Kegger make the team. He was one of those picks where you said 'Hmm, this could turn out to be a pretty good looking pick down the road...' Jury is still out of course but after his season his stock is definitely on the rise.

rick3652

Aug 18, 2009
Toronto
Mckegg plays left-wing as well as centre. Ross would certainly make this team if they picked even two teams. Both players are very good prospects, and have fairly good shots at the NHL.

McKegg if he makes it he will be on Left wing. If he can play left it would be good because then they have an extra center in case one goes down. But he will not make center. McKegg has a good chance to make the leafs in two years again maybe Left Wing. Ross will not get higher than AHL he just is not good enough it was a bad pick by the leafs.

FireEverybody*

Ross will not get higher than AHL he just is not good enough it was a bad pick by the leafs.

What ?
Ross is one of our (junior) prospects that is most likely to make it to the NHL. :laugh: He is perfect for a bottom six roll ...

Jesus, man.
Even a random Habs or Sens fan will give Burke credit on that pick.

Mckegg having more of a chance to crack our top 6 in 2 years then Ross is to ever make our bottom 6.

hahahah :laugh:

Last edited by a moderator:

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Ya for sure, Wedgewood is a good goalie. I just meant that five or ten years ago, Canada would have had a few first round picks to choose from and the goalie was often the key guy on the team. We just haven't had those clear #1s like Campbell or Markstrom, that's all. The last few years, at least a couple of those 4 goalies at camp are mid-round picks and we haven't had a clear cut, all the way #1 since Price probably.
The days of wasted first round picks on goaltenders may very well be over Hossa. With all the new stats coming out I think GM's realize there really isn't much difference in most goaltenders over the long run.

Mr Lahey*

McKegg if he makes it he will be on Left wing. If he can play left it would be good because then they have an extra center in case one goes down. But he will not make center. McKegg has a good chance to make the leafs in two years again maybe Left Wing. Ross will not get higher than AHL he just is not good enough it was a bad pick by the leafs.

How do I ignore ignorant posters like this one?

Ross probably isn't good enough to be on this team but he has a lot of pro-potential.

loudi94

Master of my Domain
Jul 8, 2003
Alberta

My guess is that he will play himself into an invite this season. If I recall, Al Murray liked him a lot, but isn't with the team anymore. He'll have to prove he won't cost the team and will produce.

byeyimini

Sep 10, 2002
Visit site
Name S/C Ht. Wt. Born Hometown Club team Pro Status

...I'm sorry to ask such a stupid question. In the columns for 'S/C'. I get the "shoots" left/right. But what does column "C" represent ? All the values are "G" or "D". I'm easily confused ;) Thanks !

Leviathan

Nov 25, 2008
Who would captain this team?

If Gudbranson ends up on the team then I would say him, without him I'd probably go with Schwartz.

Leviathan

Nov 25, 2008
Yup, the reason these goalie picks probably surprise people is because few if any of us were at that camp and truly know what happened there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->