Hockey Canada WJC Summer Camp (roster & feedback from camp)

Hossa

Feb 27, 2002
Abroad
Visit site
I haven't seen the others, but I think you're underrating Wedgewood. I'd be very happy to see him there in December.

Ya for sure, Wedgewood is a good goalie. I just meant that five or ten years ago, Canada would have had a few first round picks to choose from and the goalie was often the key guy on the team. We just haven't had those clear #1s like Campbell or Markstrom, that's all. The last few years, at least a couple of those 4 goalies at camp are mid-round picks and we haven't had a clear cut, all the way #1 since Price probably.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
If I had to pick from players there...

Assuming all these players stay out of the NHL. I omitted ones I think will be in the NHL. Connolly, Nugent-Hopkins, Johansen, Couturier. I think Couturier and Connolly could be back however.

Jaden Schwartz - Ryan Strome - Tyler Toffoli
Jonathan Huberdeau - Mark Scheifele - Christian Thomas
Matt Puempel - Greg McKegg - Mark Stone
Devante Smith-Pelly - Quinton Howden - Patrick Holland
Freddie Hamilton

Ryan Murray - Ryan Murphy
Erik Gudbranson - Brandon Gormley
Dougie Hamilton - Duncan Siemens
Mark Pysyk

Mark Visentin
Scott Wedgewood

E: Thats a really solid team. Foward and goalies wise. Defense is a little inexpereinced but I think they'd do really well.

Last edited:

CharlieGirl

Thank you Mr. Snider
Jun 24, 2003
Kitchener, ON
Visit site
Ya for sure, Wedgewood is a good goalie. I just meant that five or ten years ago, Canada would have had a few first round picks to choose from and the goalie was often the key guy on the team. We just haven't had those clear #1s like Campbell or Markstrom, that's all. The last few years, at least a couple of those 4 goalies at camp are mid-round picks and we haven't had a clear cut, all the way #1 since Price probably.

Ahh, fair enough. I misunderstood what you were saying. I agree completely, but there seems to be a lack of first round goalies from everywhere, not just Canada (unless I'm missing someone).

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Surprised of the omissions of McIlrath, Reinhart, Weal and Pickard. Thought Ross, McFarland, Catanacci might get a shot too.

Fish on The Sand

Untouchable
Feb 28, 2002
Canada
I'm surprised Oleksiak didn't get the invite. Maybe he made up his mind about what country he wanted to play for and gave HC a heads up.

puckfan13

Jan 18, 2010
How does McNeill not get an invite? Same with Calvin Pickard and JP Anderson for goaltenders. Dominigue is brutal.

Seventh rounder Patrick Holland and guys ranked 2nd round like Lessio and Danault are invited but not McNeill. Just seems sort of weird to me after he played pretty good at U-18. I guess he got cut from Hlinka last summer so maybe he has some issue with Hockey Canada.

Petrovic from Red Deer is also another notable omission, watched him throughout the season and he is a beast.

Tont

May 4, 2006
Very surprised that Reinhart was left off, while another Flames prospect, Patrick Holland made it. Saw both a few times last season and there's no doubt Reinhart is a better player. Curious indeed. Oh well there are a number of surprises like this every year at this camp, maybe it shouldn't be so much of a surprise after all.

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
Very surprised that Reinhart was left off, while another Flames prospect, Patrick Holland made it. Saw both a few times last season and there's no doubt Reinhart is a better player. Curious indeed. Oh well there are a number of surprises like this every year at this camp, maybe it shouldn't be so much of a surprise after all.

They are inviting players solely on the position they play, they cant just invite a bunch of center's and expect them to play to their full abilities out of position.

Players not on this list still have a great shot at making the final camp, It is now up to them to prove they belong their.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
I also find this list a little confusing...I mean, Pickard arguably should have made the team this past year considering how the team poo'd the bed in that department.

But, as we see every year, certain guys play themselves into a job as the season goes along and ultimately, many guys will be busting their balls to get an invite to the December camp which is the big one.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
I also find this list a little confusing...I mean, Pickard arguably should have made the team this past year considering how the team poo'd the bed in that department.

But, as we see every year, certain guys play themselves into a job as the season goes along and ultimately, many guys will be busting their balls to get an invite to the December camp which is the big one.

It's just the summer camp. Unless someone has a really strong summer camp, I don't think Hockey Canada cares all that much. Like you said, people play themselves on, and Team Canada likes that. Unless Pickard or McNeil or whoever else wasn't invited have a ****** start to the season, I'm sure they'll get invited.

CNS

A World Alone
May 24, 2008
Toffoli better be on the team. He should have made it last year. Can't wait to see him in a Kings uni in the future.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad