News: Hobey Baker winner Will Butcher Confirmed to test UFA market August 16

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
All Will Butcher carrying a Sabres bag through an airport shows is that he visited Buffalo (which we knew) and they gave him a bag.

Well it would be nice to benefit from this system for a change...I'm going to need to see pen on paper.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
Smaller college defenseman? Kings develop these guys all day. Come on down, Butcher.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
All Will Butcher carrying a Sabres bag through an airport shows is that he visited Buffalo (which we knew) and they gave him a bag.

Well it would be nice to benefit from this system for a change...I'm going to need to see pen on paper.

Are they allowed to do that? Not saying it's wrong or anything like that, but are teams allowed to give out bags and stuff like that?

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Maybe the Sabres gave him the Derek Jeter treatment. Spent one night with him, realized they'd never speak to him again so they sent him on his way with a little gift bag as a thank you. There's a jack eichel bobblehead in there, a Ryan O'Reilly autographed Tim Hortons cup and a Rob Ray plush toy that when you squeeze his belly the classic "May Day" call is played. There's also some t-shirts, towels and other apparel.

So yeah, maybe that stroll through the airport was really a walk of shame.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Have the Jets been mentioned anywhere in these talks? I'd take him on the Moose - we still aren't deep enough defensively to pass on a guy like Butcher. Even if his future as a NHLer is more than uncertain, there's too little downside in at least contacting the guy to not do so.

I'll say this - if the Jets don't get him, I hope that he goes to a team that Will Butcher his development even further.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Maybe the Sabres gave him the Derek Jeter treatment. Spent one night with him, realized they'd never speak to him again so they sent him on his way with a little gift bag as a thank you. There's a jack eichel bobblehead in there, a Ryan O'Reilly autographed Tim Hortons cup and a Rob Ray plush toy that when you squeeze his belly the classic "May Day" call is played. There's also some t-shirts, towels and other apparel.

So yeah, maybe that stroll through the airport was really a walk of shame.

Dead :laugh::laugh::laugh:

BobbyShehan

May 29, 2008
NJ
14 pages on a guy who will most probably never make it to the big show... or end up being a fringe player. It's a looooong summer.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Yeah from what it sounds like on here, his value in a prospect comes from him being a free prospect. He's not actually a good player.

Pretty much. Will not be the least bit surprised if he tops out as a Clendening quality player. Skating doesn't appear to be anywhere near good enough for a D his size.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
I saw that comparison on Reddit and I actually really like that comparison.

Its probably a good comparison at this point unless he makes big strides in his skating. Unfortunately I'm just not very convinced its going to happen. The Barries and Krugs of this league make it because they are fantastic skaters.

In fact thats the major reason I haven't hopped on the Ethan Bear hype in EDM until I see him play in pro and see what he looks like by 22-23. Certain aspects of his skating definitely need some work.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
Yeah from what it sounds like on here, his value in a prospect comes from him being a free prospect. He's not actually a good player.

Pretty much this. He is a 2nd pairing AHL dman at this point, will have to work on his skating big time to even have a shot as a 3rd pairing offensive type guy.

The hype around Butcher is pretty ridiculous IMO. He left the Avs because he knew that he was pretty far down the depth chart. That should tell you all you need to know about his abilities as the Avs are one of the worst defensive teams in the league.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
whats the hold up here? Is he trying to hang around and wait for a team to hand him a one way contract? good luck with that.

Vesey actually projected as an NHL player in some respect. Will Butcher make it as well? Dunno.

Personally I think if he was 6'1, there's a far better chance then him being 5'10 right now. Vesey is 6'3, Justin Shultz was 6'2, Butcher is 5'10. My guess is teams are looking to offer him a 2 way contract 1st, which makes sense.

deakka

Nov 6, 2009
whats the hold up here? Is he trying to hang around and wait for a team to hand him a one way contract? good luck with that.

Personally I think if he was 6'1, there's a far better chance then him being 5'10 right now. Vesey is 6'3, Justin Shultz was 6'2, Butcher is 5'10. My guess is teams are looking to offer him a 2 way contract 1st, which makes sense.

I dont think he can get any other contract than the max ELC rookie contract.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
I dont think he can get any other contract than the max ELC rookie contract.

I think that contract could still be a 1-way deal though (I'm pretty sure that's what Matt Read got coming out of college). Butcher's not the type of player that would be offered a deal like that though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad