News: Hobey Baker winner Will Butcher Confirmed to test UFA market August 16

Status
Not open for further replies.

threeVo

Jan 5, 2010
Tampa
His agent is a local guy and was on the sports radio the other day. Kid seems realistic about things and down to earth. Wouldnt mind him in the org, but dont see top 4 upside with him. Would be a nice add to the AHL for next season and see where it goes. Him and Guhle would be a nice 1-2 punch down the left side in Rochester.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
It's amazing how much discussion and attention a fringe bottom 2 AHL defenseman whose absolute ceiling is second pairing in AHL gets. If he didn't win this award he wouldn't even be discussed.

paulhiggins

Feb 4, 2006
I know Kerfoot and Butcher want playing time but it's starting to look like Battle for the Basement.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
It's amazing how much discussion and attention a fringe bottom 2 AHL defenseman whose absolute ceiling is second pairing in AHL gets. If he didn't win this award he wouldn't even be discussed.
Well that is false. College hockey isn't much worse than the AHL.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Uuhhh... let's see, how to put it... I disagree?

I guess his ceiling could be 1st pairing in AHL, depending on the team?
That's funny, while not an exact science. 37 points in 43 WCHA games translates to 31 points in the NHL over the course of a full season.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
That's funny, while not an exact science. 37 points in 43 WCHA games translates to 31 points in the NHL over the course of a full season.

Robbie Russo, Matt Grzelcyk, Mike Reilly and Michael Paliotta all recently scored 31 points in NHL, as is well known.

cwede

Sep 1, 2010
Paliotta played Hockey East actually - and is now on an AHL contract for his 3d pro season

Sabreality

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
Atlanta, GA
Its August dude. Free player is a free player. Dont like it, dont look in the thread, its not rocket science.

Foppa

Future Norris Winner
Feb 27, 2002
Kansas City, USA

Look I wish the guy luck and he's got a chance to be something - and for free that's a nice thing. Feel the same way about the Avs' signings.

But this kind of correlation is not only "not an exact science"...it's pure insanity.

Orvald

Feb 24, 2015
Belgium
Once again, another College player who think's he's better than he really is...

Not really, they know he is AHL bound, his agent stated as much.
He just wants a place where his client can develop best, and have a shot at the NHL in 2years.

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
Once again, another College player who think's he's better than he really is...

He must think he's exactly as good as the team that drafted him said. When they told him they weren't interested in signing him.

Steal Your Faceoff

Jan 14, 2016
NJ

The only thing absolute about Butcher's ceiling is that no one knows what it is.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
He must think he's exactly as good as the team that drafted him said. When they told him they weren't interested in signing him.

Let's just get one thing clear, that was Patrick Roy. The same Patrick Roy who left the Avs high and dry at the end of last summer when it became clear he wasn't going to continue to have the liberty to do what he wanted with the Avs as he pleased.

Would we have liked to have had Butcher sign? Sure. Are we losing any sleep over him not signing? Not really.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego

As I've said previously, threads like this get quite bloated by comments like "I can't believe how many pages this thread has" which then get bloated by replies to those comments.

As others have pointed out, it's August and there's not exactly much news to talk about. It is a hockey prospect message board after all and you act surprised that people might have interest in a hockey prospect?

Even if he didn't win the Hobey Baker, there would have been teams kicking the tires. The extra attention is just a factor of graduating seniors having to wait until August 15th to become free agents. Other guys like Neal Pionk could quietly turn pro and take a month to make their decision in May. They don't get scrutinized since most people have been happily watching the Stanley Cup playoffs.

For the most part, I don't think too many people have gone off the rails in predicting guaranteed future success for Butcher.

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
Let's just get one thing clear, that was Patrick Roy. The same Patrick Roy who left the Avs high and dry at the end of last summer when it became clear he wasn't going to continue to have the liberty to do what he wanted with the Avs as he pleased.

Would we have liked to have had Butcher sign? Sure. Are we losing any sleep over him not signing? Not really.

We're on the same page. Particularity with your last paragraph. But I feel it's unfair to throw shade on the player for a situation Patrick Roy shoved him into.

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
As I've said previously, threads like this get quite bloated by comments like "I can't believe how many pages this thread has" which then get bloated by replies to those comments.

For the most part, I don't think too many people have gone off the rails in predicting guaranteed future success for Butcher.

"What does Butcher need to do, to be come generational?"

"Eichel v Matthews v Butcher"

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
We're on the same page. Particularity with your last paragraph. But I feel it's unfair to throw shade on the player for a situation Patrick Roy shoved him into.

Fair enough, I think the shade from Avs fans is mostly lashing back out over the people making this situation be an excuse for berating the franchise further. Butcher may be a Hobey Baker winner, but he isn't a can't miss prospect and he's an afterthought in the Avs prospect pool. A pool that is solid but by no means remarkable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->