Hlinka Gretzky Cup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Sweden cant keep up they look tired both physically and mentally i guess missing Grewe and Söderström hurt their chances abit this game
They don't have deep team.. losing those 2 would hurt. Still holding there own and hanging in there. They need the next one.

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
The depth of the Canadian Team is really making a difference. With all these games in so short a time frame, the fact that they have been rolling four lines all tournament long regardless of opposition is really making a difference. They seem to have more energy.

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018
As expected, this tournament being one of the few opportunities for Canada to compete with their strongest U-18 team, Canada has been the most dominant team in the tournament having won a staggering 22 times out of the 28 tournaments.

Three On Zero

Deranged Oreo Dolphin Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
As expected, this tournament being one of the few opportunities for Canada to compete with their strongest U-18 team, Canada has been the most dominant team in the tournament having won a staggering 22 times out of the 28 tournaments.

They should of lost and you know it, no video review cost the Americans

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018
They should of lost and you know it, no video review cost the Americans

All teams agreed that there was going to be no video review for the tournament, and by the way Canada demolished Sweden in this final along with having won 22 of the 28 total tournaments its obvious as to which team historically is superior at this tournament...c'mon who are you trying to kid here? Canada was the best team of this tournament.

Reactions: snipes and 99664987

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
All teams agreed that there was going to be no video review for the tournament, and by the way Canada demolished Sweden in this final along with having won 22 of the 28 total tournaments its obvious as to which team historically is superior at this tournament...c'mon who are you trying to kid here? Canada was the best team of this tournament.

Even so, they were very fortunate to reach the finals. Sometimes the "best team" falls short, which is what should have happened here if not for a wee bit of incompetence from the officials

D0ctorCool

Dec 3, 2008
Vancouver
Even so, they were very fortunate to reach the finals. Sometimes the "best team" falls short, which is what should have happened here if not for a wee bit of incompetence from the officials

If you'd like to assign blame, you can blame Slovakia/Czech Republic for not having the facilities for video review.

SabresSharks

Oct 2, 2007
The whining is even better today than it was last night.

Let's just move on, today Canada plays in the Gold medal game... good luck with the third place match.
We'll see you in April ... oh wait, that all important first-round playoff showdown between Red Deer and The Hat will "prevent" your best players from attending. Such a shame.

No worries ... Hlinka is a still a worthwhile objective for lesser teams. Congrats!

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Sweden has been playing the same hockey for the whole 45 years I follow the sport, sometimes it allows pretty average Team Sweden beat way more talented teams (like vs Russia), sometimes it doesn't (vs Canada), but I wish, I can say the same (as to system) about Russia... I think, Sweden in hockey is what Italy in football.

Hanji

Oct 14, 2009
Wisconsin

Can’t blame the officials, they did their best with what they had.

Blame should fall on the primary organizers (Hockey Canada? City of Red Deer?) for failing to provide even the most basic and rudimentary 2018 technology.

moropanov

Mar 7, 2015
Anyway this HlinkaGretsky tournament or whatever its called now is just training tournament and after summer so its not very seriously taken by most nations.. I think its about as important in junior level as EHT tournaments at men's level like Karjala cup and Sweden hockey games. Its for testing players and for practice purposes World Championships is what matters at under 18 level for atleast everyone else expect Canada. 2010 decade Usa has been clear number 1. in u 18 hockey and Finland 2. ofc Canada is better than that talent wise but theyr Hlinka cup succees is still clearly more meaningless than u 18 IIHF tournament that is official measuring stick in this age group. I would say in 2010's u 18 best has been Usa then Fin 3. Can 4. Swe and 5-6 Rus /Cze hard to say which side more impressive Rus or Cze. Talent wise Russia's teams in u 18 level's have been far from impressive at World championships small nation like Finland has overtaken them in last 7 or so years at producing skilled hockey players..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad