Hlinka Gretzky Cup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Meh,

I'm a Canadian, and I'm very embarrassed by this win. US should have been there instead.

I have trouble boasting that Canada earned this Gold.

How did they not earn the win?

They were by far the best team in every single game they played. The didn't lose a single game and just won the final by 4 goals and likely should have won by more based on how dominant they were.

They were clearly the best team in the tournament, maybe by a lot but I would have preferred them playing the Russians to say that definitively. They earned that Gold 100% and were the correct and rightful winners of the tournament.

Wooren

no longer perennial 4th place losers
May 17, 2015
Prague
The tears are delicious.

I thought the whining would stop after yesterday, but it only gets better.
Would have never thought Last Word Army is run by such an arrogant Canadian homer. Now do me a favor and don't quote me again, will you? Go celebrate this great victory when you have the stomach to do so.

Really? Sweden beat Finland days before the tournament and then Russia in the semifinal. It would hardly be a surprise if they finished top 2 in the other group.
Perhaps it wouldn't be a surprise for the majority of hockey fans, but I personally wouldn't have expected it. Sweden's '01s had some of the worst results in the U17 I can remember from any Swedish team, loss after loss, so for me they didn't enter this tournament as any kind of favorite. From what I have seen at this tournament, Sweden played defense heavy system and relied on the '02s to score some goals. As for the Russia game, I already mentioned Russians flobbed on their chances, got some unlucky bounces. You can call it an excellent defensive game by Sweden, but I will not. I didn't see the 3rd period, which was supposedly the best one from the Swedes.

If you bothered to watch the intermissions, it was mentioned a couple times that Edmonton has the capabilities for video review, but Slovakia/Czech Republic do not. The committee decided against implementing video review until Czech/Slovakia has the infrastructure to do so on a consistent basis.

You want video reviews? Better get with the times and start installing cameras over there.
If you bothered to read the post you are responding to, I mentioned it doesn't matter what technology Hlinka arenas in the Czech Republic/Slovakia or Red Deer have or have not. Edmonton has everything needed for video reviews, that's all that matters. Instead of at least partially reducing referee mistakes, they decided to ignore this option completely, because it wouldn't be "fair" to the other group? Logic, where are you? Accusing Cze/Svk for being the reason they did not use the technology is funny, as if these countries don't have a whole year to build a couple of cameras whose installation will take a week at most.

USHOCKEYUS

Sep 16, 2014
Big USA hockey fan here.
Congrats to Canada, they have a great team, obviously will always be the debate about the time/goal.
First on the game, its was a pretty even game, shots, penalties, possession, zone time etc was basically a 50/50 so no one dominated and could've went either way.
On US first goal, glad they got it right but odd IIHF rule allows the penalty that occurred 1:35 later to count and Canada buries on ensuing PP. Its the rule so nothing you can do, but fact refs didn't call it a goal initially is a shame.
On the big controversy goal I wished the refs took more time and followed proper procedure rather than making a panicked decision in a two second huddle. No replay, we get it and that is fair as all teams agreed to no replay so who cares if rink has it, its agreed it can't be used. That is fair.
Did red light go on, NO, did green light go on yes. What does that mean, it means goal judge hit button when he saw goal and red light didnt go on because time expired. It was so close that maybe he hit button late but refs never asked him and thats where I have a problem. If green light is on then the there are only two ways a ref can overturn it.
A) A ref clearly saw puck crossed line while time is on clock, that is impossible as no clock in vision of goal line from any refs perspective.
B) Speak to goal judge and ask if he was delayed on pressing button for red light or did he press it immediately.
They never spoke to goal judge so green light signifies no goal and call would have to be overturned based on A or B. A is impossible and refs panicked and didnt go to step B.

A young ref panicked and made the wrong call on a 50/50. They took over a minute on Robertsons goal which was clear as day and 2 seconds on a goal that was way harder to tell which way it went. Makes no sense and 22 boys got robbed of an opportunity of a lifetime.

Reactions: 99664987

Hanji

Oct 14, 2009
Wisconsin
If you bothered to watch the intermissions, it was mentioned a couple times that Edmonton has the capabilities for video review, but Slovakia/Czech Republic do not. The committee decided against implementing video review until Czech/Slovakia has the infrastructure to do so on a consistent basis.

You want video reviews? Better get with the times and start installing cameras over there.

Wait a second, let me get this straight. The committee purposely decided to forgo implementing instant replay in Red Deer because there was no replay in some Czech/Slovak arenas years ago? It this what you're saying? Mind you the tourney HAD replay last year.

I don't believe that nonsense for a second, but if true, the organization of this year's edition has superseded mere ineptitude heading towards full blown stupidity and nonsensical territory.

Last edited:

D0ctorCool

Dec 3, 2008
Vancouver
Wait a second, let me get this straight. The committee purposely decided to forgo implementing instant replay in Red Deer because there was no replay in some Czech/Slovak arenas years ago? It this what you're saying? Mind you the tourney HAD replay last year.

I don't believe that nonsense for a second, but if true, the organization of this year's edition has superseded mere ineptitude heading towards full blown stupidity and nonsensical territory.

Bob Nicholson mentioned it on two separate occasions. If there were in fact replays last year, then it makes the decision all the more baffling.

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
Bob Nicholson mentioned it on two separate occasions. If there were in fact replays last year, then it makes the decision all the more baffling.

Pretty much the exact same thing happened last year in a game between Russia and Slovakia. Ishkakov scored at the 1st period buzzer, the play was reviewed and the goal counted. Pretty sure they have used video review at the Hlinka for a number of years.

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
lol, we have been top 3 in every major junior tournament as of late. How much junior hockey do you watch?
More then most think. What i expect and and what they have been doing in the past are different things . I expect them to be 4th place ,based on gameplan an material . Russia Canada Us Finland batteling for 1-3 place. One of them flopping and Sweden losing the bronze. I absolutly dont expect gold. I want the gold but thats another story.

Reactions: Hockeyfrilla

heynowbababooey

Sep 29, 2017
How did they not earn the win?

They were by far the best team in every single game they played. The didn't lose a single game and just won the final by 4 goals and likely should have won by more based on how dominant they were.

They were clearly the best team in the tournament, maybe by a lot but I would have preferred them playing the Russians to say that definitively. They earned that Gold 100% and were the correct and rightful winners of the tournament.

They didn't earn the win because they lost against USA in the semifinals.

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

Barclay Donaldson

Feb 4, 2018
Tatooine
He might be saying that because Canada scored their goal to tie the game with the time expired in the third period, and that the USA should have advanced. It's a youth tournament and not all rinks have video review up and running so they made the decision before the tournament began that there would be no video review. NHL Network showed the replay a dozen times and it was clearly not a goal. Team USA's video guy went up to the coach and then he went nuts at the ref.

Didn't help too whoever was running the jumbo-tron threw the referees under the bus and showed replay of the goal with the clock clearly showing no time was left when the guy had scored. Team USA's captain and coach pretty much said "you got it wrong" and the referees were apologizing saying they couldn't overturn it. And then Canada won in OT to rub salt in the wound.

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

Jordan Belfort

Jan 13, 2016
Anaheim CA
Would have never thought Last Word Army is run by such an arrogant Canadian homer. Now do me a favor and don't quote me again, will you? Go celebrate this great victory when you have the stomach to do so.

Perhaps it wouldn't be a surprise for the majority of hockey fans, but I personally wouldn't have expected it. Sweden's '01s had some of the worst results in the U17 I can remember from any Swedish team, loss after loss, so for me they didn't enter this tournament as any kind of favorite. From what I have seen at this tournament, Sweden played defense heavy system and relied on the '02s to score some goals. As for the Russia game, I already mentioned Russians flobbed on their chances, got some unlucky bounces. You can call it an excellent defensive game by Sweden, but I will not. I didn't see the 3rd period, which was supposedly the best one from the Swedes.

If you bothered to read the post you are responding to, I mentioned it doesn't matter what technology Hlinka arenas in the Czech Republic/Slovakia or Red Deer have or have not. Edmonton has everything needed for video reviews, that's all that matters. Instead of at least partially reducing referee mistakes, they decided to ignore this option completely, because it wouldn't be "fair" to the other group? Logic, where are you? Accusing Cze/Svk for being the reason they did not use the technology is funny, as if these countries don't have a whole year to build a couple of cameras whose installation will take a week at most.
just what I needed. I’m having homemade fries with my meal tonight and I needed some salt. Thanks for providing.

Hanji

Oct 14, 2009
Wisconsin

Then don't blame the Czech Republic or Slovakia for this fiasco.

Apparently, complete incompetence and ineptitude from Canadian organizers paved the way for Canada to get by the United States.
But whatever, it is what it is.

Last edited:

jbobell98

Dec 14, 2017
The best team won get over it lmao. Lafreniere is gonna be better than both the Hughes brothers.

D0ctorCool

Dec 3, 2008
Vancouver
Then don't blame the Czech Republic or Slovakia for this fiasco.

Apparently, complete incompetence and ineptitude from Canadian organizers paved the way for Canada to get by the United States.
But whatever, it is what it is.

Better get used to it. Sooner than later its inevitably going to be called The Gretzky Cup, and I won't be able to afford tickets to any Canada games.

Cellee

Dec 20, 2014
Meh,

I'm a Canadian, and I'm very embarrassed by this win. US should have been there instead.

I have trouble boasting that Canada earned this Gold.
Honestly. Not to take anything away from the kids on Team Canada, they beat Sweden fair and square.

They lost to the US the game before though. Hard to ignore that at the end of the day.

PS: I am embarrassed at the people running the tournament. Not the kids playing. It ain't their fault, they have nothing to feel bad about.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->