Hlinka Gretzky Cup

Status
Not open for further replies.

cg98

Oct 10, 2017
It's u18s which means only players born in 2001 and beyond are eligible for the tournament. So players who have late 2000 birthdays (meaning after they were born after the draft cut off date) and have to be drafted for the 2019 draft are not eligible.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Less than month left untill the tournament's first Canadian start. As far as I understand, 2018 draft player are eligible to play there?
No, only players born after January 1st 2001 can play. So even the late birthdays for 2019 can't play.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Nitpicking I know, but it's the second Canadian start, the first being the 1996 Pacific Cup edition in BC.

cg98

Oct 10, 2017
Yeah “Hlinka-Gretzky” sounds silly. Im still calling it the Ivan Hlinka lol.

Blade Paradigm

Oct 21, 2017
Meh, not much of a fan of the name either but if it draws more people to watch/pay attention to the tourney it's for the best.
It's the first time I know of that the tournament will air live on TSN.

That's a big change from past years when only the Summer Showcase was aired.

The last time a different junior-level tournament was aired in August was, I believe, the 2012 Summer Summit between Russia and Canada.

https://www.tsn.ca/2016-17-canadian-hockey-on-tsn-schedule-1.117895

August 2 - 4, Summer Showcase games.

August 6 - 11, Hlinka-Gretzky games.

ObscureAlien

May 1, 2016
It's the first time I know of that the tournament will air live on TSN.

That's a big change from past years when only the Summer Showcase was aired.

The last time a different junior-level tournament was aired in August was, I believe, the 2012 Summer Summit between Russia and Canada.

https://www.tsn.ca/2016-17-canadian-hockey-on-tsn-schedule-1.117895

August 2 - 4, Summer Showcase games.

August 6 - 11, Hlinka-Gretzky games.

anyone know if the non-Canada group games will be available on tsn.ca? im kinda thinking not because tsn usually tells us if they're going to stream games on tsn.ca only. I am thankful that we're getting some coverage of this tourney in Canada though.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
anyone know if the non-Canada group games will be available on tsn.ca? im kinda thinking not because tsn usually tells us if they're going to stream games on tsn.ca only. I am thankful that we're getting some coverage of this tourney in Canada though.
The website says they will stream all games or air them on TV. So, they should be on TSN on demand.

Mirinho

Jan 23, 2007
- I hate it's being played in Canada
- New name with the addition of "Gretzky" sucks

But Canada hockey adds money, lots of money. Check for example Official Website of the Hlinka Gretzky Cup (official website) ... when it was here in CZE and SVK it was only dream to have some some official web. I think it's fair to have it one year at home and one year in NA.

I agree Gretzky Hlinka cup is silly name. It should be something neutral like "Young stars hockey games or tourney" with groups called Hlinka group and Gretzky group and and the winner is gonna get Hlinka cup.

Reactions: Czechboy

SpoolCat

Mar 1, 2016
I'm really excited to see this on TV. At least on paper this is the best Canadian team in a few years.

Hockey7492

May 27, 2014
GER
But Canada hockey adds money, lots of money. Check for example Official Website of the Hlinka Gretzky Cup (official website) ... when it was here in CZE and SVK it was only dream to have some some official web. I think it's fair to have it one year at home and one year in NA.

I agree Gretzky Hlinka cup is silly name. It should be something neutral like "Young stars hockey games or tourney" with groups called Hlinka group and Gretzky group and and the winner is gonna get Hlinka cup.

It is ok to have it one year in NA and one year in Europe, but as the WJC is always in NA, they could leave this tournament to us, as it is an European tournament!

About the website. When the tournament was in Europe, it was also a good website. Lets not act like "Everything in NA is perfect, in Europe we just play pond hockey"

Please take a look at the website for the Ivan Hlinka 2017 when games was available on free streming: Ivan Hlinka Memorial Cup » Games

Reactions: clevelandcane

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
I'm excited, anyone know if any rosters aside from USA have been released, or when they will be released?

In Finland teams aren't allowed to begin their on-ice training until the end of July/start of August, so it''s around then. Last year's squad was announced on August 2nd.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
In Finland teams aren't allowed to begin their on-ice training until the end of July/start of August, so it''s around then. Last year's squad was announced on August 2nd.
Finland has the training camp from 23-31.7. and the team will be decided there, and announced afterwards. So indeed, August 2 or even slightly earlier sounds about right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->