Hlinka Gretzky Cup

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
I never expect Sweden to get a medal at any junior cup. They are better as seniors because they get a much better depth. Liked Raymond Holtz and Robertsson.

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
Sweden has been playing the same hockey for the whole 45 years I follow the sport, sometimes it allows pretty average Team Sweden beat way more talented teams (like vs Russia), sometimes it doesn't (vs Canada), but I wish, I can say the same (as to system) about Russia... I think, Sweden in hockey is what Italy in football.
At senior level Sweden often drives the play. Thats been there gameplay many years now. But at junior level they dont have that depth. You have to play to your strenght to win.

Hockeyfrilla

Swe prospect fanatic
May 25, 2008
Sweden
I never expect Sweden to get a medal at any junior cup. They are better as seniors because they get a much better depth. Liked Raymond Holtz and Robertsson.

lol, we have been top 3 in every major junior tournament as of late. How much junior hockey do you watch?

Reactions: 99664987

The Hound

Oct 10, 2015
I get what you're saying and don't entirely disagree with it, but it is still flawed logic.

Shootouts in IIHF events have taken place since the 1970s. Teams absolutely know what they're getting themselves into for many, many, many years. Hlinka is still fairly new and just allowed a team that shouldn't be in the Gold medal game, a place in the Gold medal game. That is as big as a travesty as a sporting event can conduct.

If people like me want to take this tournament seriously, then they should have basic replayability. Hell, in the NCAA hockey they simply have the refs go to the penalty box, review, and make the decision on their own. Is that too hard to ask for? All you need to do is buy a $80 dollar 1080p screen from Sam's Club and connect it to the video room giving access to the refs on the ice.
It sucks, it’s odd, a little stone age. It’s what happened though, I don’t blame the ref, at full speed there’s no way someone could distinguish goal/no goal. I mentioned shootouts because personally I can’t stand them. It’s a skills competition, nothing more. I get frustrated watching shootouts whether it’s international or nhl. Losing gold medal games because of them is something that shouldn’t happen when something like continuous OT already exists, is more exciting, on the edge action, and creates extraordinary memories. Just my opinion.

Anyways, I apologize for rambling... as for people's interest in this tournament now based off this alone, it’s entirely up to them and how much they let this bother them. Hlinka is still fairly new, plenty new enough for video review, but I’m not the one you need to convince. I love watching the future of hockey at u-18 and u-20, and will always cheer on Canada. WJC is my favorite part of the New Year. I’m hoping just as much as the next fan of hockey is that this tourney gets video review.

Controversy and professional sports go hand in hand. Always have, always will. This is no different than what happened at the Lacrosse Worlds just last month. Refs made a mistake in the dying moments, giving USA 3 extra seconds resulting in the golden goal.

ulvvf

May 9, 2014

I think it is weird to talk about lack of depth when we made it to final without the 3 best 01 players. Maybe there is some truth in it, but it is a weird timing.

Sweden has maybe overall been the best junior team in the last 10 years or so, at least in wjc 20. So why do you expect so little of them?

Nah, we have plenty of holes to fill in seniors as well, at least among forwards.

01 is consider to be a weak generation, so pretty good to go to final with a weak generation, even if the team was very much carried by 2 02 players. Do not think we would have played final without Raymond and Holtz.

Reactions: Hockeyfrilla

DDRhockey

Hockeyfan since 1986
Oct 11, 2017
Swedish coaching is what holds back our real potential. How about not using the same goalie in tough back to back games? It rarely pays off.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

DDRhockey

Hockeyfan since 1986
Oct 11, 2017
I was very impressed with the way this team was coached. They got everything they could out of this group.
As I said. They played well, but anothee finals loss. If the coach had fingertoppskänsla he would not start the same goalie, 3 games in 3 days.

Also canada switched goalies after 0-2 and it payed off.

Talus

Nov 2, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
You're talking about F and G teams, as if the Canadian team was something really special. They haven't showed it so far. Every game against a competent team, Canada has needed help from the refs to get by. It will be interesting to see how you guys do tonight against Sweden's "Z" team. Hopefully, the Canadian A team will have their heads hung low at the blue line when they pass out the Gold Medals to Tre Kronor.
maybe Sweden and the States should then send better teams to the WJC. LOL.

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
As I said. They played well, but anothee finals loss. If the coach had fingertoppskänsla he would not start the same goalie, 3 games in 3 days.

Also canada switched goalies after 0-2 and it payed off.

Goaltending was hardly the biggest issue. Tough to win when you only score twice.

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
Goaltending was hardly the biggest issue. Tough to win when you only score twice.

Canada completely dominated possession. 80% of the game was played in the Sweden end. The first and third period were clear domination in shots, chances created, etc.... the 2nd was Sweden's best period and overall was still controlled by Canada (though closer than the 1st and 3rd).

The ice was tilted in this game.

It wasn't goaltending.

Wooren

no longer perennial 4th place losers
May 17, 2015
Prague
All teams agreed that there was going to be no video review for the tournament, and by the way Canada demolished Sweden in this final along with having won 22 of the 28 total tournaments its obvious as to which team historically is superior at this tournament...c'mon who are you trying to kid here? Canada was the best team of this tournament.
Huh? Who are you trying to kid? What does history and team's quality on paper have to do with on ice perfomace? Should Canada be allowed to cheat because they have been winning the majority of Hlinka tournaments? Why even play the tournament then? Canada was by far the most talented team on paper, but when they hit the ice they have been largely unimpressive. Barely beating Slovakia and Sweden, then the semifinal game...

If you'd like to assign blame, you can blame Slovakia/Czech Republic for not having the facilities for video review.
Lol, this is certainly one of the better posts in this thread. It's Czechs/Slovaks fault that Hockey Canada for no logical reason decided to not to use video review? How does that even make sense? Did you even think before posting this? I can't recall whether we had video review in the past few years at the Hlinka Memorial, however no matter what, the Edmonton arena has the technology to use video review. Anyone who came up with the idea to ignore video review altoghether because of the RD group should be fired. Such an unlogical decision that ultimately influenced the outcome of the tournament.

Regarding the other finalist, Sweden, they should be grateful for being gifted semifinals in the first place. Had any team of the other group (RUS,USA,CZE,FIN) been swapped for one Slovakia or Switzerland, I have my doubts Sweden would make it out of the group stage. Not to only hate on them though, I will say both the '02 borns were very good and far and away the most talented players on the team. Should be good ones in the future.

Russia was the best team at the tournament, I fully believe they would have beaten Canada. Too bad for the missed chances and hit posts in the semifinal, they were/are an extremely talented team.

/rant over

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
Huh? Who are you trying to kid? What does history and team's quality on paper have to do with on ice perfomace? Should Canada be allowed to cheat because they have been winning the majority of Hlinka tournaments? Why even play the tournament then? Canada was by far the most talented team on paper, but when they hit the ice they have been largely unimpressive. Barely beating Slovakia and Sweden, then the semifinal game...

Lol, this is certainly one of the better posts in this thread. It's Czechs/Slovaks fault that Hockey Canada for no logical reason decided to not to use video review? How does that even make sense? Did you even think before posting this? I can't recall whether we had video review in the past few years at the Hlinka Memorial, however no matter what, the Edmonton arena has the technology to use video review. Anyone who came up with the idea to ignore video review altoghether because of the RD group should be fired. Such an unlogical decision that ultimately influenced the outcome of the tournament.

Regarding the other finalist, Sweden, they should be grateful for being gifted semifinals in the first place. Had any team of the other group (RUS,USA,CZE,FIN) been swapped for one Slovakia or Switzerland, I have my doubts Sweden would make it out of the group stage. Not to only hate on them though, I will say both the '02 borns were very good and far and away the most talented players on the team. Should be good ones in the future.

Russia was the best team at the tournament, I fully believe they would have beaten Canada. Too bad for the missed chances and hit posts in the semifinal, they were/are an extremely talented team.

/rant over

USA/Sweden would have been a better game.

The tears are delicious.

I thought the whining would stop after yesterday, but it only gets better.

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012

Really? Sweden beat Finland days before the tournament and then Russia in the semifinal. It would hardly be a surprise if they finished top 2 in the other group.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS

/rant over
The thing is....Russia wasn't the best team at the tournament. I love how much people are crying over the results to this tournament. Canada earned the win, you people are only making yourselves look bad by trying to discredit it for whatever reason.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
USA/Sweden would have been a better game.

I agree it would have been closer since they are both a level or two below Canada and more evenly matched.

It really should have been Canada-Russia for the final as they were clearly the top two teams in the tournament but Sweden earned they way there by beating Russia so full marks to them for their Sivler.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
The thing is....Russia wasn't the best team at the tournament. I love how much people are crying over the results to this tournament. Canada earned the win, you people are only making yourselves look bad by trying to discredit it for whatever reason.
Exactly they talk about a fraction of a second call... as if the whistle blew.. Canada kept playing while the US was leaning on their sticks , scored, and they counted it. Canada won. I can agree with the US being ripped off because there was no video review but the call had to be made without it, it was a judgement call just like so many more are in a hockey game, and Canada benefited. Off to overtime where both teams battled for the win and Canada prevailed. When people have to make split second decisions .. expect a margin of error and accept it.

D0ctorCool

Dec 3, 2008
Vancouver

/rant over

If you bothered to watch the intermissions, it was mentioned a couple times that Edmonton has the capabilities for video review, but Slovakia/Czech Republic do not. The committee decided against implementing video review until Czech/Slovakia has the infrastructure to do so on a consistent basis.

You want video reviews? Better get with the times and start installing cameras over there.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad