Hitting Girls

Status
Not open for further replies.

RJ8812*

girl teams come into boy leagues, but boys have to play by their rules...no hitting. i hated it.

i remember in bantams, we were playing girls and one of them decided to spear my teamate right in the balls because he out msucled her into position in front of the net. everyone seemed to see it except the ref of course. while he was hunched over trying to catch him breath she decided to cross check him right in the face...ref didnt see that either. after that my teamate decided that that was it, so he gave her a nice round house to the face, knocking her down to the ice were she proceeded to throw her stick and gloves off and started balling her eyes out. i've never heard a girl scream so loud in pain before. well my buddy got kicked out of teh game, and a 2 game suspension. it was complete ********

even though we'ed always humiliate the girls on the scoreboard, i always hated playing against them

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
Yo man, that's waffledave from HFBoards you're talking to. Show some respect. If waffledave says on the internets that he's had slobbery kissytime with a drunken puckbunny, you'd better believe it.

Thanks. It's always funny when others don't know who exactly I am.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
I used to play regularly against this girl. She was pretty cute and I'd lay off when I had to hit her, partly because she was cute and I wanted her but also because I didn't want to hurt her.

I think she noticed because she confronted me as to why I never really hit her hard. I just kinda laughed it off. I think this upset her because the next time we played each other she spent the entire game throwing HUGE hits at me. Every time I got the puck she'd come out of nowhere and destroy me. I have no idea where this girl got her power from but she hit harder than half the guys on the other team.

Anyways, I got the message after that. She's playing hockey with the boys, she wants to be treated equally. As long as you aren't being dirty or hitting to hurt people, then it's fine IMO.

edit: And yes, we did hook up a few weeks later, was super drunk :naughty:

Nah, she was just hitting on you!:sarcasm:

deanosaur

Feb 17, 2008
AB/MB
Yo man, that's waffledave from HFBoards you're talking to. Show some respect. If waffledave says on the internets that he's had slobbery kissytime with a drunken puckbunny, you'd better believe it.

Back to the original question, yes it's ok to hit girls. By the way, what does this have to do with hockey?

because... girls play hockey... and there are a few girls who play contact hockey with guys.. so the question is, is it ok to hit them. not scott stevens but you get the idea, good clean hits.
were not actually talking about beating them hahaha that would be a no.

Last edited by a moderator:

Schenn Him

Mar 19, 2008
SK
thehamiltonian.wordpress.com
I played with guys up until Pee Wee. For bantam, I switched to a girls team. I wouldn't have been incredibly outmatched size wise for bantam, but the coaching sucked, and it wasn't worth the trouble. Did I get rocked sometimes in Pee Wee? Absolutely. I laid out a few guys as well. Everyone knows the rules when they sign up, and if you get leveled on a legal hit, even if it causes an injury, there's nothing to gripe about. Its not like a guy has never gotten hurt on a clean hit. It happens, its part of the game.

Watching womens hockey, you can almost always pick out the players who played boys hockey growing up, even if its only until Pee Wee or bantam. They are more aggressive, and definitely more aware. You rise up to the level of your competition. Its better to get knocked down a few times playing with guys than it is to dominate a weak girls league.

Of course, you shouldn't cheap shot a girl. But saying that is redundant - you shouldn't cheap shot anyone. Guy, girl, alien, whatever.

And as for harassment - one of my teammates played guy's hockey in midget, and had a guy grab her ass. He got a gross misconduct and a 5 game suspension. Most girls on the ice (not all, obviously) don't want special treatment either good or bad.

Gino 14

Aug 23, 2006
And as for harassment - one of my teammates played guy's hockey in midget, and had a guy grab her ass. He got a gross misconduct and a 5 game suspension. Most girls on the ice (not all, obviously) don't want special treatment either good or bad.

It's too bad he didn't get more than 5 games. You do that on a job, you lose your job. I would have given him a match if he had pulled that crap in a game I was working.

comrade

Apr 5, 2007
One year in Bantam AA I had a girl for a defense partner. She was decent but she didn't really stand out in any way. Every couple of games though she would just get smoked, but I think it was due to the fact that she hadn't had much experience with hitting, just the year before in Bantam house league, which was a lot worse than AA. She tended to leave her head down and handle the puck a little too long sometimes, not recognizing some situations where she was vulnerable.
She always got back up without a complaint though, she was tough. Actually she never said anything, which could get annoying since she never communicated if she was open for an outlet pass or not. The goalie had to pick up her slack.

Michael Scofield

Feb 1, 2007
Gatineau
ive never played with a girl or against one believe it or not. mind you i play more serious hockey now and my coach says they don't want to take the game any further than i have. i didn't believe that at first i actually thought it was a bit offensive! what does everyone else think about that?

cupcrazyman

Stupid Sexy Flanders
Aug 14, 2006
Leafland
if you don't want to get hit,play rec league.boy or girl.

what if your 15 & playing JrB.do you expect the 20's to leave you alone ?

Phoenix

Mar 26, 2006
I'm waiting for the first female player (non-goalie) to play in the nhl. :D Now THAT will create some interesting debate. Talk about the mind games then.:biglaugh:

We've had a first female goalie I believe?

Phoenix

Mar 26, 2006
ive never played with a girl or against one believe it or not. mind you i play more serious hockey now and my coach says they don't want to take the game any further than i have. i didn't believe that at first i actually thought it was a bit offensive! what does everyone else think about that?

Who's 'they'? The coach/officials, or the girls?
If the girls, then that would be quite untrue in general.
If there aren't many female players where you are, then its possible for those particular girls they don't want to.

RandallRitchey

Formerly the Bergy Gif guy on Twitter
Jan 26, 2008
St. Louis
www.stlouisgametime.com
My best friend Kat and I play on the same team and she leads our team in penalty minutes. He hits just like anyone else hits. She doesn't complain about getting hit either. She got kicked out for 3 games last "session" because this kid threw a cheap hit at her and luckly missed. But that didn't stop her from beating the crap out of him. He tucked as she was punching him in the face. He skated off with a bloody nose and a purpling eye. she skated off smiling. No one has tried hitting her "cheaply" anymore.

MikeD

Jul 3, 2006
Buffalo NY
www.hawksice.com
You also see very few or No girls on the boys teams where there are the womens team counterpart. I can tell you though, you have missed out unless you have been the goalie on a Rec Floor hockey team that has several on Defense. Particularly if they also worked at Rick's Tally Ho (adult entertainers). Focus was a tad difficult to maintain when that line was on the floor. That mixed gender team was prob the most fun I ever had playing rec hockey and those ladies were FEARLESS!

Moose24x

Jan 2, 2008
Boston
So Chara shouldn't be allowed to cream St. Louis if he has head down on a rush? Or if you're a freshman who's made varsity in high school, should the seniors have to hold back on you?

If you're on the ice, you're fair game. As long as the hit is completely legal, why on earth would you "hold back" in a competitive sport. I could see maybe in a Rec League, but half of those barely have any hitting to begin with. On a competitive team, you're telling me that you would hold back for a girl (which, by the way, is something you'd have to ascertain pretty darn quickly, considering how fast the game moves) rather than deliver the best clean hit that you can, regardless of whose receiving it?

SJGoalie32

Apr 7, 2007
TealTown, USA
My best friend Kat and I play on the same team and she leads our team in penalty minutes. He hits just like anyone else hits. She doesn't complain about getting hit either. She got kicked out for 3 games last "session" because this kid threw a cheap hit at her and luckly missed. But that didn't stop her from beating the crap out of him. He tucked as she was punching him in the face. He skated off with a bloody nose and a purpling eye. she skated off smiling. No one has tried hitting her "cheaply" anymore.

It's good that your friend is willing to take (and dish out) regular hits like everybody else and not complain about them, but that puts her in the minority (at least in my experience).

Still, as much as they suck, cheap hits are a part of the game. Unfortunate, but a part of it nonetheless. If I got up and started punching everybody who ever took a cheap shot at me, I'd probably spend half of every season on the suspension list.

While it is an important thing that she stood up for self, it sounds like that girl still DID receive preferential treatment from the guy who she went after because most guys won't punch back against a girl. If you were getting punched by a guy smaller than you, or even of equal size, would you just tuck and let the punches come and beat up your face without fighting back? What do you think would have happened if he had treated your friend just like she was any other guy and started throwing haymakers at her?

It's too bad he didn't get more than 5 games. You do that on a job, you lose your job. I would have given him a match if he had pulled that crap in a game I was working.

Yeah, but you'd also lose your job if you punch somebody in the face or go after some guy's groin with a weapon. I've been intentionally "cup checked" before, and the ref didn't even call a 2-minute penalty on the play, despite the fact he was pulling me down the ice and the ref was staring right at me.

Schenn Him

Mar 19, 2008
SK
Yeah, but you'd also lose your job if you punch somebody in the face or go after some guy's groin with a weapon. I've been intentionally "cup checked" before, and the ref didn't even call a 2-minute penalty on the play, despite the fact he was pulling me down the ice and the ref was staring right at me.

The ref missing a call, or choosing not to call a penalty for whatever reason isn't the same thing. If you punch someone in the face at a hockey game, you can get a penalty - if you sucker punch someone or headhunt them - you can get suspended. Its a spectrum of behaviour. Same thing with having someone grab your ass on the ice. There are varying degrees of 'acceptability' with regards to actions, and varying punishments.

Ti-girl

Jan 29, 2005
Merida, Mexico
girl teams come into boy leagues, but boys have to play by their rules...no hitting. i hated it.

i remember in bantams, we were playing girls and one of them decided to spear my teamate right in the balls because he out msucled her into position in front of the net. everyone seemed to see it except the ref of course. while he was hunched over trying to catch him breath she decided to cross check him right in the face...ref didnt see that either. after that my teamate decided that that was it, so he gave her a nice round house to the face, knocking her down to the ice were she proceeded to throw her stick and gloves off and started balling her eyes out. i've never heard a girl scream so loud in pain before. well my buddy got kicked out of teh game, and a 2 game suspension. it was complete ********

even though we'ed always humiliate the girls on the scoreboard, i always hated playing against them

I call your ******** and raise you "you're full of crap."

K-PAX*

I'm waiting for the first female player (non-goalie) to play in the nhl. :D Now THAT will create some interesting debate. Talk about the mind games then.:biglaugh:

We've had a first female goalie I believe?

In a preseason game. She was horrendous.

RandallRitchey

Formerly the Bergy Gif guy on Twitter
Jan 26, 2008
St. Louis
www.stlouisgametime.com
It's good that your friend is willing to take (and dish out) regular hits like everybody else and not complain about them, but that puts her in the minority (at least in my experience).

Still, as much as they suck, cheap hits are a part of the game. Unfortunate, but a part of it nonetheless. If I got up and started punching everybody who ever took a cheap shot at me, I'd probably spend half of every season on the suspension list.

While it is an important thing that she stood up for self, it sounds like that girl still DID receive preferential treatment from the guy who she went after because most guys won't punch back against a girl. If you were getting punched by a guy smaller than you, or even of equal size, would you just tuck and let the punches come and beat up your face without fighting back? What do you think would have happened if he had treated your friend just like she was any other guy and started throwing haymakers at her?

He through off his gloves but once he got smoked with the first hit, he tucked. And it wasn't the first time this guy has tried to drill her into the boards either. She isn't afraid to dish out the rough stuff and she has the skill to score as well.

MikeD

Jul 3, 2006
Buffalo NY
www.hawksice.com
While I hate to admit it...anyone else recall the tour that Team USA Womens Ice hockey did through the midwest a few years back? They played around 10-15 games VS M. Major Tier I teams through Michigan, Wisconsin and the Dakotas. The boys played under the Womens no check rules. Team USA Women lost all but one game with an average margin of 5 goals.

Sorry, T-girl but at the highest competitive levels and Mature Young Men, The ladies just cant quite compete as a team. Individually would be another story.

K-Pox,

Manon Rheaume, she went 2 for 9 in one period of play. That would give her a better NHL stat than many current male goalies. She wasnt horrendous. She made some pretty nice saves. She also played in the Q, ECHL, IHL and WCHL. With Team Canada She has an undefeated cup/tourney record and posting a GAA of .963 and S% of .927 IF she had been handled like any other rookie goalie in hte NHL, I believe she could have developed into a decent back-up in the short term. Who knows what experience would have given her long term. She wasnt given the chance.

Care to give the stats on any other male goalie who entered the NHL with out being brought up through the farm club gaining experience and allowed to become familiar and comfortable with the game at the pro level? I can for several and She performed better than they...heres a name you might recall....Jim Craig. She was the better goalie.

Last edited:

Ti-girl

Jan 29, 2005
Merida, Mexico
Sorry, T-girl but at the highest competitive levels and Mature Young Men, The ladies just cant quite compete as a team. Individually would be another story.

True.

Our team played against a Midget team, and lost. Quite handily.

Though, I played a tournament on my men's team, against a full men's checking team.

6 games
4 goals
6 assists
12 PIM

Granted, I'm taller than the average man. I'm 5'10. I look smaller on the ice weight wise than most men, but I can hold my own.

I grew up in a National team program, weight training by the time I was 12. I'm (was since I can't weight train anymore...at all) stronger than many men playing.

Schenn Him

Mar 19, 2008
SK
While I hate to admit it...anyone else recall the tour that Team USA Womens Ice hockey did through the midwest a few years back? They played around 10-15 games VS M. Major Tier I teams through Michigan, Wisconsin and the Dakotas. The boys played under the Womens no check rules. Team USA Women lost all but one game with an average margin of 5 goals.

Our (Canada's) women's team fared a tad better in their foray against the same calibre of players (I am guessing AAA midget is parallel to Tier I).

They were .500 in 22 games. Link

Last edited:

MikeD

Jul 3, 2006
Buffalo NY
www.hawksice.com
True but at the same time you would have to look at the boys teams ranking. The Team Canada coach was a tad more shrewd in her scheduling, looking to build confidence. Few of the teams that Team Canada Women played were ranked in the Top 40 nationally and most were ranked below the top 80. Team USA was scheduled to play only teams that ranked in the top 40.

YEs, USA hockey has this need to be confusing. Tier I is "AAA", Tier II is "AA" Tier III is "A" and MOHL is Developmental.

Last edited:

The Perfect Paradox

Beyond Good and Evil
Aug 16, 2007
New York
Tbh i hit a girl once and hard too. I didn't realize it was a girl until the check was over. I was on defense and she was skating towards my teams the blue line. i just skated up lowered my shoulder, it was a clean check no penalty. But the ref blew the whistle, because it took a while for her to get up. When she got up to skate towards her bench i saw a pony tail in the pack of her helmet. I had never felt so bad in my life. IMO, if the girls want to put on the equiptment and join the league they should expcpect to get checked.

Joe Cole

Jun 17, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
On the ice, fair game.

Hell, we played one team where they had a D with ONE ARM. No word of a lie. Everyone was scared of hurting him, but he was a dirty slasher of a player.

After a while of getting slashed over and over, someone laid him out. No one felt good about it, but we did not cry for him either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad