Hitting Girls

Status
Not open for further replies.

chaosrevolver

Snubbed Again
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2006
Ontario
In a tournament game this kid elbowed one of our girls in the face and crunched her into the boards hurting her. Our captain went over and beat the **** out of him. Our whole team was pissed. And she was crying and everything. He called her a wuss. And one of my teammates tried to ring him by the neck on the ice.

My question is. I know they sign up for hockey. But should guys take it easy? Im not saying guys are stronger or are better or anything. Im just saying cause my whole team and most of my league takes offence to that kind of thing and we just dont hit the girls. We might rub them out.

But yeah, any opinions?

the_speedster

Jul 7, 2007
I coach and I think its hilarious how little boys suddenly become scott stevens when they have a girl in their sites, yet when I throw out my 6ft 3, 200+lb 13yr old everyone starts to shirk and say, hey take it easy!

you hit a player according to their size.. only a complete imbecile would go after a girl or a boy of similar dimensions the same way as a much bigger kid. You hit to separate from the puck not to injure...

K-PAX*

Make no mistake about it guys are always stronger and almost always better. By PeeWees girls should no longer playing with boys, and any parent allowing their girl to play Bantams and above with boys is very stupid.

As a kid who was usually the biggest and always the oldest player in youth hockey I had no problem staying away from the girls, I hardly hit anyone. But there is always that cooked kid who just doesn't think things through. My second year in PeeWee A(is it 1 now?) some idiot on the team crushed a girl behind the net and broke her wrist. That girl's team forfeited every game they had remaining against us in protest, but she really shouldn't have been out there.

Never hit a girl.

deanosaur

Feb 17, 2008
AB/MB
your on the ice your fair game.
simple as that. if they dont want to get hit dont play with the big boys.
as long as its a clean hit obviously.
should girls stop playing with guys after a certainly? forsure, unless they can buff up and take and give a hit then alright let them play, but dont complain because the guys are supposed to be stronger and knowing that go play in a contact game with abunch a guys and hope to not get injured.
last i checked there isnt a rule saying if a girl plays with guys she cant get hit.

the_speedster

Jul 7, 2007
your on the ice your fair game.
simple as that. if they dont want to get hit dont play with the big boys.
as long as its a clean hit obviously.
should girls stop playing with guys after a certainly? forsure, unless they can buff up and take and give a hit then alright let them play, but dont complain because the guys are supposed to be stronger and knowing that go play in a contact game with abunch a guys and hope to not get injured.
last i checked there isnt a rule saying if a girl plays with guys she cant get hit.

so if you see my big kid steamroll a 4ft 8 kid of the same age you think its all right? silly.. I've thrown my "giant" off the ice for not hitting correctly.. Anyway funny enough the best and most aggressive hitter on the team I coach is a 6ft 13yr old girl. Every team we've played complains about her... I have to reign her in too.:thumbu:

deanosaur

Feb 17, 2008
AB/MB
well how many kids are 4'8 at the same age? and how old are we talking.. 16+. and yes run him over haha if the kids good enough he'll cheap shot you back and take out your legs so in the end its your loss for hitting the small kid, therefore he does a good job of protecting himself hahahah
see exactly. 6ft and these other guys are like no dont hit her, but she can go absolutely demolish a guy? haha ya righ.

Congo

Sep 22, 2007
I'm pretty much of the opinion that if you're on the ice, then all the other team should see is your jersey. Whether someone is male, female, big, small, etc. shouldn't matter.

I mean, when I was still playing hockey, if I saw a girl I would make an effort to avoid blowing her up in open ice, but I would still gladly give her a clean check along the boards. But that's not unique. I would never hit anyone dirty.

2 Late 2 Anton

Feb 21, 2008
loudceilingfans.com
Man, gear's so baggy, I don't even know who's a girl and who isn't. Won't even know if I hit a girl 'til I come to the bench, and everyone's all "dude!". I don't play a checking game, but if I have to get the puck via the physical game, I'll lay out a hit. I pay attention to the puck, not the player's figure.

sharkticon

Jul 13, 2007
Teal Town, CA
Man, gear's so baggy, I don't even know who's a girl and who isn't. Won't even know if I hit a girl 'til I come to the bench, and everyone's all "dude!". I don't play a checking game, but if I have to get the puck via the physical game, I'll lay out a hit. I pay attention to the puck, not the player's figure.

Agreed. Half the time i can't even tell unless they got a ponytail coming out their helmet.

I actually LEVELED a girl a few games ago but didn't realize it was a girl until afterwards. I play in a non-checking league but managed to get away with it.

In the end, if a girl is playing in a checking league, she's fair game.

Phoenix

Mar 26, 2006
If its checking and everybodys the same level, then you treat a player as a player and not a male/female. But that means not picking on someone, or setting out to injure. You just don't have time to think and try and pick out "Are you a girl. No you're not. Therefore I can hit you harder".
And most girls would prefer this; otherwise its rather patronising.
If its a checking scrimmage of various levels then of course the better players should not take out lower level players at full force. Regardless of girl/boy.
And that goes for non-checking too.

Its all about intent and respect.

Phoenix

Mar 26, 2006
MBy PeeWees girls should no longer playing with boys, and any parent allowing their girl to play Bantams and above with boys is very stupid.

Neh, I don't agree. There should be choice as there's always an overlap, and you will always get some girls who are bigger/stronger than some boys. Especially at peewee

The simple fact is, if you choose to play on X team, you need to accept that you play as any other. So if you want to play with others who aren't as big choose a different team.

deanosaur

Feb 17, 2008
AB/MB
sooo..
we can agree on everyones fair game on the same ice, with the exception of goalies obviously (id love to change that rule)?

xdcx

Feb 13, 2008
In our non-contact league, if you hit a girl you will take a penalty and possibly be thrown out the game, but if you hit a guy chances are if it's a big hit it will be 2 minutes, in most cases the ref will tell you to calm it down. We played a team a few months back and they had this foreign girl playing for them, she was a complete idiot, everytime someone had the puck she was slashing, hooking and tripping them, if a guy had been doing what she was doing it would be a clear cut penalty, no doubts about it, but because she was a girl she never got called on any of those at all. It's pretty ridiculous.

octopi

Dec 29, 2004
sooo..
we can agree on everyones fair game on the same ice, with the exception of goalies obviously (id love to change that rule)?

I'd agree.If you can't play contact hockey, go play in a no contact league.

And contact or not, if you are playing hockey, you should be expecting some rough stuff.

Danglous

Dec 5, 2007
Philly
There was a girl in my 13-16 roller league a few years ago. She was cross checking me and giving me a bunch of **** so I pushed back and she fell. All the parents and opposing players started yelling and complaining because I was the biggest kid in the league and she was a girl, but she had it coming to her.

Pittsburgh Proud

Dec 12, 2007
Pittsburgh
i've hit girls. But i was unaware they were until after i hit them. Should they be treated the same? Yes. Should the player have called her out? No hes nothing but a big ***** who finally was able to hit somebody. Girls wrestle and their is no holding back. Should be the same for hockey. I had a girl on my team when i was younger. Our best D and a pretty good hitter.

habsfan87

Mar 1, 2008
I think they should be treated the same, mostly. I remember playing against a really good girl and I layed a few big hits on her in the year end tournament. If she was a bad player, I probably wouldn't have bothered, but she was one of the better players in the whole tournament.

It Kills Me

Aug 6, 2004
There was a girl in my 13-16 roller league a few years ago. She was cross checking me and giving me a bunch of **** so I pushed back and she fell. All the parents and opposing players started yelling and complaining because I was the biggest kid in the league and she was a girl, but she had it coming to her.

Lol.

Yea, I hate how girls bring up this I;m a girl crap for less icetime, sucking, etc..

So there was this one girl who completely leveled one of our players in a non-checking league. It was hilarious.. but would you have gone after her? A guy, easily. A girl, I was confused..

Christ

Mar 10, 2004
Canada
I myself never hit girls when I played sports at any age. It just felt wrong hitting them or anyone who I can see would have trouble taking a hit. Not that I am a soft player or anything, I am very physical and love to level opposing players. I just don't get any satisfaction hitting girls or small men, it feels like bullying. I do tend to target other physical players (especially those bigger than me) but my greatest enjoyment comes from running over opposing players who take liberties with smaller players on my team.

frito

Jan 27, 2007
Cincinnati
Make no mistake about it guys are always stronger and almost always better. By PeeWees girls should no longer playing with boys, and any parent allowing their girl to play Bantams and above with boys is very stupid.

Never hit a girl.

I couldn't disagree more. Just ask half the US womens Olympic team. Most of them grew up playing on boys teams and didn't ask for any special treatment. As the father and coach of a peewee girl, if they're up to the task, let them play. I ask my daughter every season, do you want to play with the boys or the girls. The decision is entirely up to her.

I give her no special treatment over the boys. She got totally Scott Stevens'd at open ice because she was skating with her head down. My reaction was the same as it would be for any kid on either team. I didn't get mad because it was a CLEAN hit. When she came to the bench, I asked if she learned anything. She looked at me and said "Yeah, don't skate with your head down." I've had that exact same converssation with some of the boys on the team too. It's not a gender thing.

In the case of the original poster, I would hope the reaction of your team would be the same regardless of the gender. It sounds like your player was on the receiving end of a DIRTY hit. It doesn't matter if your player is a boy or a girl. The other player
kid elbowed one of our girls in the face and crunched her into the boards hurting her
. That easily could have been a boy on your team and I hope the Captain's response would be the same.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I ran a goalie that I later found out was a fem.

Etiquette would say take it easy, but it's not like I'm doing a genitals check on the other team before each game. **** happens in the heat of the game and the girl (or anyone else for that matter) shouldn't complain if she gets smoked.

K-PAX*

I couldn't disagree more. Just ask half the US womens Olympic team. Most of them grew up playing on boys teams and didn't ask for any special treatment. As the father and coach of a peewee girl, if they're up to the task, let them play. I ask my daughter every season, do you want to play with the boys or the girls. The decision is entirely up to her.

I give her no special treatment over the boys. She got totally Scott Stevens'd at open ice because she was skating with her head down. My reaction was the same as it would be for any kid on either team. I didn't get mad because it was a CLEAN hit. When she came to the bench, I asked if she learned anything. She looked at me and said "Yeah, don't skate with your head down." I've had that exact same converssation with some of the boys on the team too. It's not a gender thing.

In the case of the original poster, I would hope the reaction of your team would be the same regardless of the gender. It sounds like your player was on the receiving end of a DIRTY hit. It doesn't matter if your player is a boy or a girl. The other player. That easily could have been a boy on your team and I hope the Captain's response would be the same.

There will always be special cases obviously. I'm just speaking generally. If your girl had been hurt getting Eric Lindrosed, I'm not so sure your reaction would be the same if she was a boy. PeeWees not so much, but by Bantams the differences in strength become more obvious, especially at the higher levels. When I was a Bantam B I had two girl defenseman on my team. Never were they openly hit, just pushed and shoved. From that I can tell that I'm not alone in the don't hit girls mantra.

Meanwhile in practice I got one of the girls father telling her to hit me full force everytime it's me and her one-on-one in drills. So now I'm playing avoid the check with a girl almost two years my junior. If I had decided she was "fair game" and treated her like any other player I would have put her in the hospital.

Then again I never really took youth hockey all that seriously.

Ti-girl

Jan 29, 2005
Merida, Mexico
My brother played up to last year with a female D partner. She was one of the best skaters on the team, great outlet passer and rarely got hit.
He was the big hitter on the team and he allowed her to run the offense, but he watched her back, like any partner would watch another teammate.
She asked for no special treatment.

I play on both a women and men's team, both non checking, but contact is allowed. Most team's don't realise I'm female until I take off my helmet, I wear a skull cap and I'm 5'10, though when they do find out things tend to change.
Either you get the players that won't go near you because you're female or you have the players that will run you because you're female.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad