Hindsight is 20/20, were these the right decisions?

ToMaLe

Sep 24, 2002
Saskatchewan
If they had such bad center depth that one injury would have screwed them, that's an issue they should have addressed before the season started. If the young guys need a rental to give them confidence or whatever, that's an issue that should have been addressed before the season started.

Bandaid fixes at the highest price point of the season will sink your team through attrition if you keep doing it every year without a strong enough asset pool.
I agree bandaid fixes will sink you in the long run..its like having a tooth ache and you keep putting oral gel on it instead of getting a filling lol.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
I didn't like the Boyle deal ... however it did provide the experience to umm umm repeat the process ...

I know the argument about getting experience in the playoffs helps in subsequent years.

I think what helps more is having good players ... and sometimes you can get them in the 2nd. round of the draft.

But usually 2nd round players are hot garbage.

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
5 games, 6, 7 -does it matter really?
They were out-played and lucky to have made it to game 7
I think it does matter, but if you go back to my original post in this thread, my opinion is that it's still too early to say for sure. That they were up against a better team isn't their fault, and the hope is simply that they learned a lot from the experience - Playing in a Game 7, whether you're lucky to be there or not, is a valuable thing for a young team, I think.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
What is it that you aren’t understanding? The 2 picks weren’t originally ours. But a couple people around here want to be so technical that we owned them, So yes via trade we owned them. Toronto didn’t trade any of their original picks in either of those trades(could be wrong). But let me ask you again cause you keep trying point something out from my original post. Where in my other posts (because you keep trying to show me my other posts)did I say they didn’t belong to Toronto?

What you're not understanding is this:

1)
They were not free picks - we traded for them and if you understood how trades work, then you'd understand that we gave something up for them so therefore they were not free.

2)
Yes they were our picks. You don't seem to get this and want to dismiss it as a "technicality" but it is nevertheless, a fact.

3)
The fact that they were not our picks originally doesn't mean that "wasting" them is any less of a waste then it would be otherwise.

Understanding these points seems to be a real struggle for you, good luck!

Reactions: ToMaLe

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
Two straight years out in the first round
I know playoff experience is valuable
But I don't think we can continue to say that anymore

Management has their work cut out for them to take the next step. Terrible depth at C, and D is weak too
They'll need to replace Bozak, JVR, Komarov, Pleks, Moore while addressing these weaknesses

ToMaLe

Sep 24, 2002
Saskatchewan

1)
They were not free picks - we traded for them and if you understood how trades work, then you'd understand that we gave something up for them so therefore they were not free.

2)
Yes they were our picks. You don't seem to get this and want to dismiss it as a "technicality" but it is nevertheless, a fact.

3)
The fact that they were not our picks originally doesn't mean that "wasting" them is any less of a waste then it would be otherwise.

well said!

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto

1)

2)

3)

Thanks tips. I know how everything works. Just don’t need to sit here and nitpick like a child.

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
I agree bandaid fixes will sink you in the long run..its like having a tooth ache and you keep putting oral gel on it instead of getting a filling lol.
I think it's important to remember that they've tried a number of options in that 4th-line Center role, outside of "bandaid fxes," but have had a difficult time finding the right fit.

I can certainly agree that it's not ideal to turn this kind of thing into a habit, but one 2nd, 2 years in a row, is hardly selling the farm, and previous experiments in Smith, Moore, Aaltonen and Gauthier didn't pan out as well as they'd hoped at this stage.

Ideally, we fix this once and for all in the off-season (preferably for nothing more than money), but I think it's a little ridiculous to spend this much time and effort lamenting these transactions when you use whatever hindsight is currently available to us - We did have as close to "extra" 2nds as you could possibly have (having acquired 2 for Polak, who we then re-signed); Boyle helped us make the Playoffs last year; Plekanec was a big part of our team coming back from a 2-0 deficit to force a Game 7.

As long as every move made helps this current core of young players develop and be more successful moving forward, I can work with it. As important as draft picks are, they can't help Matthews, Marner and Nylander right now, so as long as we're not giving them all away (which we're not), I just don't see the big problem.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Again. Not in everyone’s opinion was it a waste of assets.

Again I refer you to your original quote in which you say that it wasn't a waste of assets only because they weren't our picks originally. The implication is clearly that the assets would have been wasted had they been our picks originally. Bottom line is that your comment makes no sense because who's picks they were originally has nothing to do with whether or not they were wasted.

They weren’t even the leafs 2 round picks. So it wasn’t wasting them.

Thanks tips. I know how everything works. Just don’t need to sit here and nitpick like a child.

What's childish is your stubborn refusal to understand and admit that your post made no sense. The adult thing to do would be to admit your mistake and to move on. Trust me, no one would hold it against you.

This has been going nowhere for some time now so I'll leave you to it. Enjoy the rest of your day, I'm done with you.

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
Again I refer you to your original quote in which you say that it wasn't a waste of assets only because they weren't our picks originally. The implication is clearly that the assets would have been wasted had they been our picks originally. Bottom line is that your comment makes no sense because who's picks they were originally has nothing to do with whether or not they were wasted.

They weren’t even the leafs 2 round picks. So it wasn’t wasting them.

What's childish is your stubborn refusal to understand and admit that your post made no sense. The adult thing to do would be to admit your mistake and to move on. Trust me, no one would hold it against you.

This has been going nowhere for some time now so I'll leave you to it. Enjoy the rest of your day, I'm done with you.
Thank god. See you later.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
5 games, 6, 7 -does it matter really?
They were out-played and lucky to have made it to game 7

Whether we lost in 4, 5, 6 or 7 this season might not make a difference to the finishes of next season and beyond, but I'd hope it mattered to this year's team. I'd also add that if we were outplayed and lucky to go the limit, that says something about our team and perhaps even of Boston's inability to finish things sooner. Shouldn't make a habit of it, but sometimes teams need to win games they shouldn't by the look of things.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
When you get 2 of them for Polak (who then re-signs) and Spaling, that's certainly pretty sweet.
Unexpected and nice sure but I don't really get too excited about these things.
Players and picks come and go, it's all part of the game.
Certainly not the tragedy some are portraying it to be.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
They’re just second round picks that may have a chance to play in the NHL. I don’t get excited if we obtain them or if we trade them.

Hunter's 2nd round picks: Rasanen, Korshkov, Grundstrom, Dermott, Bracco. Each of those guys is currently or very likely to be an NHL player. Longest odds are probably on Bracco.

Other competent scouting staffs:
Philly: Ratcliffe, Hart, Allison, Aube-Kubel, Hagg. 4/5 are currently or very likely NHL players.
Anaheim: Sorensen, Petterson, Montour, Nattinen, Comtois, Morand. 4/6 are currently or very likely to be NHL players.

A good scouting staff should be hitting on close to 50% of their 2nds or better. I don't really care how many 2nds bad scouting staffs miss on, we're spending enough on ours that they should be getting us top results. So far they are.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
I think it's important to remember that they've tried a number of options in that 4th-line Center role, outside of "bandaid fxes," but have had a difficult time finding the right fit.

I can certainly agree that it's not ideal to turn this kind of thing into a habit, but one 2nd, 2 years in a row, is hardly selling the farm, and previous experiments in Smith, Moore, Aaltonen and Gauthier didn't pan out as well as they'd hoped at this stage.

Ideally, we fix this once and for all in the off-season (preferably for nothing more than money), but I think it's a little ridiculous to spend this much time and effort lamenting these transactions when you use whatever hindsight is currently available to us - We did have as close to "extra" 2nds as you could possibly have (having acquired 2 for Polak, who we then re-signed); Boyle helped us make the Playoffs last year; Plekanec was a big part of our team coming back from a 2-0 deficit to force a Game 7.

As long as every move made helps this current core of young players develop and be more successful moving forward, I can work with it. As important as draft picks are, they can't help Matthews, Marner and Nylander right now, so as long as we're not giving them all away (which we're not), I just don't see the big problem.

Dude, if you aren't going to panic and freak out over every little thing I'm not sure you belong here. You have to 2nd guess everything management does and know better.

It's simple. Even though everyone says our front office is full of the best people it's all a lie. Our coach is an idiot, our GM knew nothing about winning and there is no plan.

Our consistent rise in the standings and the improvement of all our players is just a fluke and it would happen anywhere. Playoff experience has no value, veterans have nothing to offer. Until you support fielding a team of 20 year olds and trading everyone over 24 every year for picks you are not with the program.

Leivo is better than JVR, oh wait I mean Johnsson is, oh wait I mean the next guy who gets 6 games on the team.

Once you grasp these undeniable truths you will be a much happier person and a proud member of Playoff Tank Nation.

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
Hunter's 2nd round picks: Rasanen, Korshkov, Grundstrom, Dermott, Bracco. Each of those guys is currently or very likely to be an NHL player. Longest odds are probably on Bracco.

Other competent scouting staffs:
Philly: Ratcliffe, Hart, Allison, Aube-Kubel, Hagg. 4/5 are currently or very likely NHL players.
Anaheim: Sorensen, Petterson, Montour, Nattinen, Comtois, Morand. 4/6 are currently or very likely to be NHL players.

A good scouting staff should be hitting on close to 50% of their 2nds or better. I don't really care how many 2nds bad scouting staffs miss on, we're spending enough on ours that they should be getting us top results. So far they are.
So we already have a stable of good-looking prospects from the 2nd Round (and outside thereof) to go along with our young, developing core, and have still maintained a full roster of 7 picks per year (including 1sts and 2nds), and you're upset about trading away one pick each year to try and support the guys who were actually playing real hockey in 2018? Can't you see that, after a while at least, simply hoarding draft picks isn't the answer?

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
So we already have a stable of good-looking prospects from the 2nd Round (and outside thereof) to go along with our young, developing core, and have still maintained a full roster of 7 picks per year (including 1sts and 2nds), and you're upset about trading away one pick each year to try and support the guys who were actually playing real hockey in 2018? Can't you see that, after a while at least, simply hoarding draft picks isn't the answer?
:clap:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad