McKenzie: Highly sought after Quinnipiac defender Chase Priskie will not sign w/ Caps; will become UFA Aug. 15

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
I'm always skeptical of these low drafted or undrafted players who go on to play college. More often than not they disappoint at the NHL level, if they even get there.

"I'm always skeptical of these low drafted or undrafted players ̶w̶h̶o̶ ̶g̶o̶ ̶o̶n̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶p̶l̶a̶y̶ ̶c̶o̶l̶l̶e̶g̶e̶. More often than not they disappoint at the NHL level, if they even get there." could be said in general as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: Riptide

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
I’m a little ignorant when It comes to draft application or selection other than the actual draft being conducted. Do players apply to enter the draft or just at a certain time and age if you are play Junior, NCAA, etc. then you can be draft selected?

I think the NHL changed the process with the 2005 CBA. They simplified it so that a player is eligible based on age. Before it was a little more messy with the NCAA making players wait a year in order to maintain their amateur status. And I think there was an instance of a European player not submitting his paperwork on time and a team tried to draft him, but the NHL didn't allow the pick.

First time draft eligibles for the 2019 Draft were born between September 16, 2000 and September 15, 2001. Undrafted players remain draft eligible for a few more years, based on their birth year and whether or not they played a full draft eligible season in North America.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Big difference. The only junior players that ever go back into a draft are not top grade players. A top level college player like a Hobey Baker winner can wait out the team that drafted him and have 20 teams courting him. How is that fair to junior players and how is it fair to teams like Carolina that aren't New York City or Chicago?

Because they choose to turn pro before hand. They could just as easily remaining in juniors, not sign a pro contract and wait things out, go back through the draft and eventually become a UFA just like the college kids. But most are so excited to sign that ELC, get the signing bonus money and start their path to the NHL that they don't take the chance of waiting things out to become a UFA. And don't get me wrong - I'd take that signing bonus money as well. But don't pretend that the player's do not have the same chance to become UFAs if they really wanted to. Really the only difference is the kid in the CHL would have to go through the draft and then deal with the development coaches from another org for 2 more seasons until he could become a UFA, where as NCAA kids have their rights held by the same team all the way up until the player decides to go the full 4 seasons and wait things out to become a UFA.

Reactions: egelband

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
Priskie would probably be the #1 RHD prospect for almost half of the teams in NHL.

Certainly: ANA, CAR, CBJ, FLA, MIN, STL, TB, WAS
Maybe: BOS, BUF, DAL, LAK, PIT, SJ, VGK

(did pretty quick back-of-the-envelope tally, apologies if I missed one)

say what now?

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Oh, this part of the season again.

"Everybody is interested about some marginal prospect somewhere!"

My god I hate this part of the season. At least, this summer, there's some buyouts and cap roblems now to write extra news about.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
This is bold.

For CAR: do you consider Bean a prospect?

I know more about the kings prospects than other team's so there are likely others that could/should be listed for other teams.

not sure he's above Sellgren or Honka either, though definitely further along than Honka is.

Sep 18, 2009

My god I hate this part of the season. At least, this summer, there's some buyouts and cap roblems now to write extra news about.

True bunch of half busts we talking about

saluki

Nov 18, 2017
I think the team that drafts a player should be able to offer them a few hundred grand more than anyone else.

Player retains freedom but sacrifices a bit of cash to go elsewhere.

Harvey Birdman

…Need some law books, with pictures this time…
Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office
I think the NHL changed the process with the 2005 CBA. They simplified it so that a player is eligible based on age. Before it was a little more messy with the NCAA making players wait a year in order to maintain their amateur status. And I think there was an instance of a European player not submitting his paperwork on time and a team tried to draft him, but the NHL didn't allow the pick.

First time draft eligibles for the 2019 Draft were born between September 16, 2000 and September 15, 2001. Undrafted players remain draft eligible for a few more years, based on their birth year and whether or not they played a full draft eligible season in North America.
I’m now really curious on the guidelines for draft eligibility. Seems like there are several nuances that could be simplified with simpler harder language. Again I’m very ignorant to draft eligibility but It seems like something that needs fine tuned from its current form.

Yog S'loth

Sep 7, 2005
Southern California

Yeah, I mean.

August.

The least hockey month of the year.

Shnooks

Apr 18, 2017
Geez. Rangers usually get all these guys, but there's no room. He could go anywhere.
Butcher, Kerfoot, Petersen...those are three of the best recently.

Justin Schultz, Thomas DiPauli, Dominic Toninato...I'm sure there are many others who didn't choose the Rangers.

(All the NCAA UDFA's have chosen to go elsewhere too...Brickley, Iafallo, Aston-Reese, Veronneau, Hirose, Kuffner, Shortridge, etc.)

Patty Ice

Straight to the Banc
Feb 27, 2002
Not California
Yes, it was regrettable post. Had multiple typos, went too quick, and forgot to think he was still property of WAS until 8/15.
My mistake.

If you delete your post, I'll delete mine quoting it. Get the other guys who quoted you to play along and it is like it never happened.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Chris Peters from ESPN reported that sources have said Carolina and Anaheim are the frontrunners for Priskie.

Since when has ESPN had ANY credibility when it comes to hockey? they haven't cared about hockey in years IF they ever did at all.

Shnooks

Apr 18, 2017
Is there any chance he’d be interested in the Jets?
Highly doubtful...very rarely do Americans go to a Canadian team, if they have the choice.

Unless they promise him an immediate spot within their top-6...but even then, I think he'd still choose an American-based team.

Since his family lives in Florida, I'd expect him to choose an east coast team...Carolina, Tampa, Florida, Boston, Pittsburgh, Philadelphia, etc.

But if you look at the top college free agents who are American, nearly all of them chose American teams.

Schuldt, Jobst, Carpenter, Shortridge, Nardella, Fortunato, Lizotte, Craggs, Newell, Hutton, Melnick, Snively...as well as kids like Butcher, Vesey, Petersen, Brickley, Iafallo, Pionk, Kuhlman, Vecchione, Aston-Reese, Bayreuther, DeSimone, Smith, Oglevie, C. Clifton, Delia, Kloos, Lettieri, Reinke, Toninato, A. Johnson, Sherwood, L'Esperance, Robinson, Gross, Calderone, DiPauli, Miska, Pedrie, T. Clifton, Stevens, C. Johnson, Nell, Hults, Kapla, etc., in the last three years.

The exceptions are Duszak, Kielly, Rafferty, Gambardella, Sturtz, Starrett, Molino...those are the only Americans, in the last three years, to sign with a Canadian team.

(Many more Canadians signed with American teams, than Americans who signed with Canadian teams...Kerfoot, Rodrigues, Rempal, Whitecloud, Robson, Keeper, Lucchini, Dickinson, O'Connor, Prapavessis, Redmond, Mitchell, Vigneault.)

*Funny thing is, we get so hyped up about NCAA free agents...yet maybe only 1/4 of them actually work out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $265.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Norway vs Denmark
    Norway vs Denmark