McKenzie: Highly sought after Quinnipiac defender Chase Priskie will not sign w/ Caps; will become UFA Aug. 15

Status
Not open for further replies.

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
Seems like something sharks should be all over. I know we got some other d prospects but we have guys who played with him to convince him and probably an open d slot when Dillon gets traded

Patty Ice

Feb 27, 2002
Not California
Seems like something sharks should be all over. I know we got some other d prospects but we have guys who played with him to convince him and probably an open d slot when Dillon gets traded

He's a righty that would have Burns, Karlsson, and Heed in front of him and Merkley competing with him. If he is looking to fast track, San Jose is not the place for him.

Nihiliste

Feb 8, 2010
Colorado is weak on the right side post Barrie trade. He could definitely outplay the depth defenders we have competing for the spot

Reactions: Richard88

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Think of the many 6th rounders who didn't make it.

Way too much hype on these guys. IF they make, they're never anything special (Gilroy, Butcher)
and this guy didn't win an award as the best in the country.

I'm not sure who exactly is hyping up Priskie? I get that it's August and there's next to nothing in terms of news, so a NCAA UFA will get more coverage than the other NCAA UFAs who can sign in April when the season in wrapping up.

Butcher put up 44 points in his rookie year and followed up with 30 last season for an offensively challenged team. I don't think anybody was ever touting Butcher as a future Norris guy, but he's carved out a spot.

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
Are you trying to make a point? He is a proven producer and defender at the NHL level.

Players are, where they are drafted. He won the Hobey Baker award, but he was not warranted with the hype he got, for not signing. Butcher and Hyman maybe the only players who beat the odds, and played being drafted lower. Hobey Baker means nothing.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Think of the many 6th rounders who didn't make it.

Way too much hype on these guys. IF they make, they're never anything special (Gilroy, Butcher)
and this guy didn't win an award as the best in the country.

I honestly haven't heard much hype about him at all. Usually there is a NCAA soon to be UFA that is constantly talked about every offseason but this season its been absurdly quiet. I realize all attention is on this RFA class right now but I figured atleast 1 NCAA guy would be hyped up huge. It seems like Priskie is the main target for upcoming NCAA guys this offseason but there is zero talk about it so far

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Hobey is like the Heisman Trophy, it's an award for who had the best season not necessarily who is the best pro prospect. I don't think too many people here really tout the Hobey as a reason for future success. But I do see a lot of people list the Hobey winners who didn't pan out and act like they've found new land.

Patty Ice

Feb 27, 2002
Not California
Players are, where they are drafted. He won the Hobey Baker award, but he was not warranted with the hype he got, for not signing. Butcher and Hyman maybe the only players who beat the odds, and played being drafted lower. Hobey Baker means nothing.

That is literally the dumbest post I have ever read on this board and I have been here for nearly 20 years. There is a phone book of names that counter that statement.

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017

Yeah only Butcher and Hyman. Can’t think of any others. No first liners in Calgary. Drawing blanks

Favin

Jun 24, 2015
Toronto
Jack Eichel
Jimmy Vesey
Johnny Gaudreau
Cale Makar
Chris Drury
Paul Kariya

Charlie Conway

Oxford Comma
Nov 2, 2013
Not so much a cap thing but a roster spot thing. Presumably Priskie (who has to sign a 2 way deal regardless) is angling for an NHL roster spot right away which was his reasoning for not signing with Washington. It might be a hard sell for the Rangers if they have Trouba|DeAngelo|Fox penciled in on the right side.

Fox has never played in the NHL or AHL. I wouldn't say he's penciled in. Even so, if Priskie looks good, having an extra asset is a good position to be in.

I would say he had a decent shot of making the Caps. He'd face competition anywhere. For all we know, he has a specific destination in mind.

Trouba & DeAngelo are both NHLers at this point, and Fox is more along than Priskie. If Fox pans out, there is basically no room on the RD side for years to come.

If Fox pans out. Remember Mat Gilroy?

No such thing as too many prospects, never mind RD.

Can never have too many young right handed D men

100%

Reactions: egelband
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad