McKenzie: Highly sought after Quinnipiac defender Chase Priskie will not sign w/ Caps; will become UFA Aug. 15

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Red Line

Oct 11, 2010
(Many more Canadians signed with American teams, than Americans who signed with Canadian teams...Kerfoot, Rodrigues, Rempal, Whitecloud, Robson, Keeper, Lucchini, Dickinson, O'Connor, Prapavessis, Redmond, Mitchell, Vigneault.)

*Funny thing is, we get so hyped up about NCAA free agents...yet maybe only 1/4 of them actually work out.

I mean.... obviously... considering there are significantly more Canadian prospects and significantly more American teams.

Reactions: Hivemind

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
you gotta hate NCAA kids.

Why? Most NCAA guys sign with the clubs who draft them. You can count on one hand the number of guys who opt for the August 15th route in any given year.

I think we can take a step back and understand the difference between working for one company for $70,000 and working for another where you could get $925,00.

Wingsfan 4 life

Oct 9, 2016
If Holland were still around, I'd say the Wings would at least make a pitch for him. Yzerman just does not seem to be a fan of NCAA guys. Pretty sure Detroit's gonna sit this one out.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
"Sources have indicated that the Carolina Hurricanes and Anaheim Ducks are among the likeliest options to land the 23-year-old, right-shot blueliner."

I mean, that infers pretty heavily that those two are (were) the frontrunners.

Hmmm...well color me corrected.

However, wasn't the context of the article referencing the potential destination for prospects to be traded, not really where'd they'd consider signing if given the opportunity?

I have no doubt CAR tried to trade for Priskie at the draft (and also am fairly certain they tried to also move Faulk) to no avail. Other teams probably also have reached out to WSH since the draft, and it makes perfect sense that ANA, given their personnel make up, would have been one of those teams.

With less than 2 weeks to freedom of choice, I don't think a trade of his rights is in the cards and I just don't see the sense in Priskie signing in CAR with all the guys in front of him.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
bruins are pretty shy on right shot defensemen in their system. and i think providence only has 1 of them for next year.
obviously they have a bunch on the big club, but i can see them in the mix for priskie. he may want an easier and faster
path to the NHL though.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Hmmm...well color me corrected.

However, wasn't the context of the article referencing the potential destination for prospects to be traded, not really where'd they'd consider signing if given the opportunity?

I have no doubt CAR tried to trade for Priskie at the draft (and also am fairly certain they tried to also move Faulk) to no avail. Other teams probably also have reached out to WSH since the draft, and it makes perfect sense that ANA, given their personnel make up, would have been one of those teams.

With less than 2 weeks to freedom of choice, I don't think a trade of his rights is in the cards and I just don't see the sense in Priskie signing in CAR with all the guys in front of him.

The last player the Canes were rumored to be interested in trading for and signing was Ryan Dzingle at the Trade Deadline. I wouldn't be surprised if Priskie ends up signing with the Canes. Faulk is likely still gone at the end of this year so a top-4 RHD spot is up for grabs in the long-term.

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
bruins are pretty shy on right shot defensemen in their system. and i think providence only has 1 of them for next year.
obviously they have a bunch on the big club, but i can see them in the mix for priskie. he may want an easier and faster
path to the NHL though.
Yeah I don't think he's signing with a team that has McAvoy and Carlo ahead of him.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Priskie seems like he wants to step right into NHL playing time almost right away. Purely speculation, but the Caps board discussed how the Caps trading for Jensen and signing him to an extension pushed Priskie away from the organization. In all fairness, I get that he wants to step into the NHL as quick as possible, but Washington's RD depth is little to none outside of Carlson, Jensen and Gudas. It takes a giant step down to prospects that have little to no NHL playing time that Priskie should have beat out. If he didn't make the Caps, he would have been given top 4 AHL minutes with top PP time immediately with call up chances if any of the RD were to get hurt and would have been able to slot into the 3rd pairing next season when Gudas is an UFA.

Long story short, I think he signs with whichever team has minimal RD depth at the NHL level. I also think if he were to sign in Carolina his rights would have already been traded for a later round draft pick.

Reactions: Richard88

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt
Why? Most NCAA guys sign with the clubs who draft them. You can count on one hand the number of guys who opt for the August 15th route in any given year.

I think we can take a step back and understand the difference between working for one company for $70,000 and working for another where you could get $925,00.
That doesn't make any sense. If the player signs as a college free agent he makes the same as if he signs with the original team. The new team doesn't have to play him in the NHL. Either way he is signing an ELC.

Even if the College free agent signs with another team there is no guarantee he will play in the NHL. It would be nothing more than a verbal agreement but its not going to be gifted if the player can't perform at that level. He will be waiver exempt and play on a 2-way contract where he would then be earning 70k even with the new team.

Last edited:

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
Priskie seems like he wants to step right into NHL playing time almost right away. Purely speculation, but the Caps board discussed how the Caps trading for Jensen and signing him to an extension pushed Priskie away from the organization. In all fairness, I get that he wants to step into the NHL as quick as possible, but Washington's RD depth is little to none outside of Carlson, Jensen and Gudas. It takes a giant step down to prospects that have little to no NHL playing time that Priskie should have beat out. If he didn't make the Caps, he would have been given top 4 AHL minutes with top PP time immediately with call up chances if any of the RD were to get hurt and would have been able to slot into the 3rd pairing next season when Gudas is an UFA.

Long story short, I think he signs with whichever team has minimal RD depth at the NHL level. I also think if he were to sign in Carolina his rights would have already been traded for a later round draft pick.

If it's an immediate demand, Priskie is less likely to get immediate NHL time in Carolina than he was in Washington:

Pesce
Hamilton
Faulk
TVR (rehabbing injury)
McKeown (waiver eligible, could be #7 or #8 D)

Faulk and TVR are UFA after this year but that's unlikely to be relevant this year. There's a need for depth in Charlotte, but a college UFA probably isn't signing somewhere to likely start in the AHL, even if it's top pairing.

Reactions: hb12xchamps

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville

I believe the speculation is that if Carolina moved Faulk, then Priskie would agree to sign with them.

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny
path to the NHL though.
Winnipeg jets should make a strong try. They are short on RHS D with experience zz& up-side big time! I know, l-o-l's, Winnipeg in a Free Agent signing war???
Chevy likes his US born players & NCAA developed too.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
As Justin Schultz can attest, going to a bad team that offers playing time is not a smart path for a young defenseman. There are far better options than playing on a bad LA team that hasn't shown much ability to develop young players.

Playing on a bad Anaheim team doesn't sound like a far better option to me than playing on a bad LA team. As for LA not showing much ability to develop young players, that's due to having traded away most of their best picks and prospects from 2012 to 2017, given them very little to develop recently.

Last edited:

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny
That doesn't make any sense. If the player signs as a college free agent he makes the same as if he signs with the original team. The new team doesn't have to play him in the NHL. Either way he is signing an ELC.

Even if the College free agent signs with another team there is no guarantee he will play in the NHL. It would be nothing more than a verbal agreement but its not going to be gifted if the player can't perform at that level. He will be waiver exempt and play on a 2-way contract where he would then be earning 70k even with the new team.
That's my understanding & thoughts too.

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny
Isn't it &700,000 league minimum salary for NHL. Oh, you are assuming he plays in the AHL. Isn't his not signing with Wash based on " no room at the NHL Inn"?
Just wondering on that?

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
Yeah, screw them for playing for free for 4 years. I love clueless posts.
By the way i meant the NCAA kids who don’t even give a chance to the team that drafted them.

Play for free?? 4 years fully paid US college in whatever they chose to study in, full pro staff and food. Do you know how much CHL players are paid a week?

Reactions: o6mopok

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia

When he graduated he turned pro. At the time Washington already had the maximum allowed, 50 pro contracts and could only offer him an AHL contract. Priskie elected not to sign an AHL contract and instead become a UFA Aug 15th in order to receive an ELC.

Reactions: vorbis and Lurch

remer

Oct 18, 2005
Yeah I don't think he's signing with a team that has McAvoy and Carlo ahead of him.
I think he would be a good fit with the Bruins as they don't have many right handed defenseman in their system. McAvoy is a well rounded defenseman, Carlo is more of a stay at home guy and then there is the third opening with Kevin Miller injured. Bruins could use some size as well with Krug, Clifton and Grzelcyk all being small.

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
I think he would be a good fit with the Bruins as they don't have many right handed defenseman in their system. McAvoy is a well rounded defenseman, Carlo is more of a stay at home guy and then there is the third opening with Kevin Miller injured. Bruins could use some size as well with Krug, Clifton and Grzelcyk all being small.
He'd be a good fit on a lot of teams. But if you were a top-ranked NCAA free agent would you want to play on a team where your only spot is really on the bottom pair? I'm sure he'll sign somewhere he'll have the chance to grow into a regular top-4 guy. Whether he becomes that or not, who knows.

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
Nah, we missed out on Kerfoot, Butcher, and Schultz.

Blake Wheeler and although not drafted, Torey Krug was the same summer as Schultz.
Was funny as Fabian Brunnstrom got more press than Wheeler that year while Schultz got a tonne more hype than Krug. In hindsight Wheeler and Krug were two of the best college FA signings ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad