McKenzie: Highly sought after Quinnipiac defender Chase Priskie will not sign w/ Caps; will become UFA Aug. 15

Status
Not open for further replies.

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
Butcher, Kerfoot, Petersen...those are three of the best recently.

Justin Schultz, Thomas DiPauli, Dominic Toninato...I'm sure there are many others who didn't choose the Rangers.

(All the NCAA UDFA's have chosen to go elsewhere too...Brickley, Iafallo, Aston-Reese, Veronneau, Hirose, Kuffner, Shortridge, etc.)
OK. But Hayes, Vesey, Fox... You do understand I didn't literally mean all of them, right? And really, about half the guys you have mentioned, I have never heard of. Granted I'm 47 years old and don't have all day to keep up on the prospects of every NHL team like I did when I was a teenager, but are those guys even players anyone is sad about not getting?

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
I've seen this a couple times in this thread but is there any kind of link behind it?

The Ducks and Canes were 2 teams named by ESPN as potential landing spots for Priskie in an article from a few weeks ago about prospects that may be traded from their original teams. I think it’s a little disingenuous to call CAR and ANA “frontrunners” for his services based off of that article.

CAR has been linked to Priskie by their Athletic beat writer and Pagnotta as well, but those rumors came out around the draft and have gone silent since. If his rights were going to be traded to CAR, I imagine that trade would have occurred by now. There are 4 NHL RD on CAR’s roster next season and I just don’t see an older prospect like Priskie signing there with that many guys in front of him. I’d be pleasantly surprised as a CAR fan if they do get him, but I’m not holding my breath.

Tampa makes a lot of sense to me. We’ll find out in 2 weeks.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
Since when has ESPN had ANY credibility when it comes to hockey? they haven't cared about hockey in years IF they ever did at all.
Chris Peters is a great writer who knows his prospects. Just because ESPN employs a lot of opinion guys who miss the mark doesn't mean they also don't employ guys who know their stuff. The stuff behind the paywall is generally very good.

Last edited:

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
The Ducks and Canes were 2 teams named by ESPN as potential landing spots for Priskie in an article from a few weeks ago about prospects that may be traded from their original teams. I think it’s a little disingenuous to call CAR and ANA “frontrunners” for his services based off of that article.

CAR has been linked to Priskie by their Athletic beat writer and Pagnotta as well, but those rumors came out around the draft and have gone silent since. If his rights were going to be traded to CAR, I imagine that trade would have occurred by now. There are 4 NHL RD on CAR’s roster next season and I just don’t see an older prospect like Priskie signing there with that many guys in front of him. I’d be pleasantly surprised as a CAR fan if they do get him, but I’m not holding my breath.

Tampa makes a lot of sense to me. We’ll find out in 2 weeks.
"Sources have indicated that the Carolina Hurricanes and Anaheim Ducks are among the likeliest options to land the 23-year-old, right-shot blueliner."

I mean, that infers pretty heavily that those two are (were) the frontrunners.

Oct 18, 2011
Fox has never played in the NHL or AHL. I wouldn't say he's penciled in. Even so, if Priskie looks good, having an extra asset is a good position to be in.

I would say he had a decent shot of making the Caps. He'd face competition anywhere. For all we know, he has a specific destination in mind.

If Fox pans out. Remember Mat Gilroy?

No such thing as too many prospects, never mind RD.

100%
"Extra asset"

Yeah I'm sure a player who be in demand will settle for that

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
For anyone wanting a bit of a scouting report on him, here are some quotes from articles about him:

----

"Priskie's strength is his ability to push the pace, join the rush and jump into the offense. His straight line speed isn't something that will blow an observer away, but he has good mobility and lateral agility."

"Chase had a great year. He's been dominant. The way he plays is how we want our 'D' to play. We want to get our 'D' in the rush. We want to create that second wave, that third wave of attack. If there's no opportunity offensively, they've created good gap. They're up in the play and now the gap is going the other way," Pecknold explained.

Priskie's play in his own zone continued to develop as the season progressed, but there's little doubt his best asset will always be on the offensive side of the puck."

"He's a great hockey player, a great kid, and a straight A student," said Pecknold of his team's Rookie of the Year." (Source)

-----

Priskie, 6’-0”, 185 pounds, was a 6th round draft pick of the Capitals in 2016 (#177 overall)

[Note: Another source says Priskie is 5′-11, and 192 lbs.]

"He’s a good two-way defenseman that can skate and quarterback a powerplay."

"(...) Priskie’s strength on the power play began to emerge in 2016-2017, where he led the team with 15 power play assists and 20 power play points."

"Priskie also shined on Quinnipiac’s power play last season. Of Priskie’s 11 goals during 2017-2018, eight came on the power play, which not only led the Bobcats, but was ranked first in the nation among NCAA Division I defensemen during the regular season, and placed him 11th among all skaters."
(Source)

---------

"Currently he is up to 39 points in 34 games as he has exploded past his previous three seasons of 25, 26 and 26 points. Priskie is playing so well that if he does not sign with the Caps he will be highly sought after when he because a freeagent." (Source)

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
Would be a nice pickup for the Avs who could actually do with a RHS defenseman. Sakic also has history signing college free agents, with Kerfoot.

From Priskie's perspective he might be a bit wary of the fact we have Meloche and Timmins coming through. I wouldn't think that Connauton/Barberio would be much concern though given that they're unlikely to be here beyond this season, and Cole is a bit of a question mark at this stage due to double hip surgery.

Realistically we will start the season with the lineup below, and Priskie might fancy his chances against Graves/Barberio/Rosén, particularly given that none of them are RHS's. Graves and Barberio are both replacement level as well, and Rosén is completely unproven in the NHL.

Girard -------- Makar
Zadorov ------ Johnson
Connauton -- Graves/Barberio/Rosén

That all said, he'll probably try to find a team where he'll get a big role and PP time right off the bat (eg. Anaheim) to get himself an easy route to the NHL. However, it must surely be very tempting for him to join a team that suits his game perfectly and looks like becoming a contender in the next few years.

Last edited:

Eb

Feb 27, 2011
Toronto
Come to Edmonton... Please

We desperately need puck movers and he'd instantly be our best pp-qb and offensive dman that we have on our NHL roster. He'd probably get prime offensive minutes and the #1pp unit qb spot playing mainly with Connor and Leon. The opportunity is a aplenty and there are 2 crazy good young players here...
This is so sad

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
Have I understood correctly that Priskie will be signing a 2 year ELC (at like $925k) when he enters the league?

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
Odd point to make since that statement is true of the vast majority of GMs (aside from the Kerfoot part for the smartasses).
I didn't mention that to make Sakic seem like a guru compared to other GM's.

Rather, I was just pointing out that signing a college free agent is something Sakic has done in the recent past.

Being able to attract and recruit a good college free agent in Kerfoot at least shows that Sakic isn't averse to going that route to get players.

Anyways, it's not a big point, more of an observation if anything.

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
Have I understood correctly that Priskie will be signing a 2 year ELC (at like $925k) when he enters the league?

I expect it to be packed with bonuses, especially if there's competition to sign him. I don't think it'll be as crazy as Schultz' deal, and I don't think it'll be a max elc, but I think he's easily going to get more than a mil.

Reactions: Richard88

duckpuck

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2007
If this kid wants to play in the NHL this season, he could probably do no better than to sign with LA. They have three spots open on their blue line--three!--and the defensemen vying for those spots are not good or very promising. Priskie would be pretty much assuring himself a top-4 role in the NHL this season.

As Justin Schultz can attest, going to a bad team that offers playing time is not a smart path for a young defenseman. There are far better options than playing on a bad LA team that hasn't shown much ability to develop young players.

Chris Peters from ESPN reported that sources have said Carolina and Anaheim are the frontrunners for Priskie.

On the other hand, Anaheim and Carolina have excellent records of developing defensemen. I don't know about the Carolina, but there is a clear path to playing time in Anaheim. Probably Winnipeg too, though that comes with the downside of being in Winnipeg.

Reactions: Richard88
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad