Player Discussion: Hickey

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Yep. You know better than Trotz. Pure genius.

He's actually one of the few posters who talks about x's and o's beyond a basic level. That doesn't definitively mean he's right, it does mean that he's not just some random moron who runs around screaming that a player sucks. There's logic and reasoning behind it.

Even the best coach doesn't make the right decisions 100% of the time.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jester9881

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
There are a few things Trotz does that I disagree with, but there are reasons for all of them and I understand why he does what he does. For instance, feeding playing time to a sub par D because he has the respect of his team mates, he's a veteran and he's signed long term.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
There are a few things Trotz does that I disagree with, but there are reasons for all of them and I understand why he does what he does. For instance, feeding playing time to a sub par D because he has the respect of his team mates, he's a veteran and he's signed long term.

As long as Hickey is a regular on this team, we will be a fringe team at best. Giving him that 4-year deal was a mistake that I hope we can get rid of after next season, hopefully someone will bite with only 2 years left and a relative bargain. Maybe Seattle takes him?

Reactions: dood

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
As long as Hickey is a regular on this team, we will be a fringe team at best. Giving him that 4-year deal was a mistake that I hope we can get rid of after next season, hopefully someone will bite with only 2 years left and a relative bargain. Maybe Seattle takes him?

He did play junior hockey in Seattle...

Reactions: PWJunior

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
He did play junior hockey in Seattle...

If Seattle takes Hickey (I would throw them a pick for the favor), we compliance buyout Ladd and Boychuk... our cap is incredibly well positioned. The majority of Snow's mess is undone. Virtually a blank slate with Barzal and his $11M+ as the centerpiece.

Reactions: seafoam

beach

Aug 17, 2005
here
Yeah, Hickey's terrible. I mean look at these Corsi numbers. :sarcasm:
corsi.jpg

Last edited:

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
Hickey is a true professional but Im just not a fan of the player. Good dude though and great teammate. I'm guessing LL signed him for the same reason he signed Komarov.

Reactions: dood

crasherino

May 9, 2013
Hickey is a true professional but Im just not a fan of the player. Good dude though and great teammate. I'm guessing LL signed him for the same reason he signed Komarov.

He was already making $2.5m so I guess they couldn't really go down. The 4 years is what's the killer.

We've got a guy in Toews who is basically forcing his way onto the team and there is simply no room because Hickey, Pelech and Mayfield are all dudes with long term contracts taking up spots. They all have their positives and they all have their warts - collectively though, those 3 shouldn't be locked into the lineup. With their respective contracts, that's essentially the story though.

Reactions: bigtim1988

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
I get that people don't like him as a player, but over the last three full seasons, when he's on the ice at 5 on 5 the Islanders score 53.88% of the goals scored. That leads all Islander players with at least 2000 min played over that time period, and is well above the team's 50.15%. For as much as people say his play hurts the team, it doesn't seem to show on the scoreboard, and may well also be a reason Lou signed him.

Reactions: WeirdFrans51

kmo429

Jul 22, 2011
Thomas Hickey is a +38 his last 221 games. How? He is a solid #6 but I don't get it.

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
He was already making $2.5m so I guess they couldn't really go down. The 4 years is what's the killer.

We've got a guy in Toews who is basically forcing his way onto the team and there is simply no room because Hickey, Pelech and Mayfield are all dudes with long term contracts taking up spots. They all have their positives and they all have their warts - collectively though, those 3 shouldn't be locked into the lineup. With their respective contracts, that's essentially the story though.
I agree with Hickey.
Pelech is OK and very tradeable. Mayfield's a bargain.

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
I get that people don't like him as a player, but over the last three full seasons, when he's on the ice at 5 on 5 the Islanders score 53.88% of the goals scored. That leads all Islander players with at least 2000 min played over that time period, and is well above the team's 50.15%. For as much as people say his play hurts the team, it doesn't seem to show on the scoreboard, and may well also be a reason Lou signed him.
The biggest problem I have with him is "tweener"
Not big enough to be physical and not be pushed around and not skilled enough to deliver offensively.

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
The biggest problem I have with him is "tweener"
Not big enough to be physical and not be pushed around and not skilled enough to deliver offensively.
I get that most people prefer dmen that either play physical or put up big numbers, but I feel like outscoring your opponent should be valued too.

BTW, Hickey actually has a higher pts/60 at 5 on 5 over the past three full seasons (1.02 for Hickey vs. 0.946 for Leddy) as well, so it's not like he isn't contributing offensively; he's just not well suited to the PP.

Last edited:

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
If you watch the games rather than looking at his height, he’s our second best defenseman.

I watch the games and often wonder how come we can't draft defense?
Not one all star. No one capable of 40 points. No number one talent at all.
People are getting excited about Devon friggin Toews meanwhile Ottawa trades away Karlsson and replaces him seamlessly with Chabot.

ekill08x

Oct 29, 2011
Hickey is better than a few guys. Problem is we really are weak on D but Trotz getting the must with the least. Need a top pairing guy so bad we dont have a single guy whose that good.

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
I watch the games and often wonder how come we can't draft defense?
Not one all star. No one capable of 40 points. No number one talent at all.
People are getting excited about Devon friggin Toews meanwhile Ottawa trades away Karlsson and replaces him seamlessly with Chabot.

I mean Chabot was one of the most premier defensive prospects in the league. Pulock is progressing, not every team just drafts #1 defenseman at will.

Also, not every team simply gets lucky and drafts #1 centers right after their former one leaves either...

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1