Player Discussion: Hickey

bigd

Jul 27, 2003
Why would he even want to resign here? He probably wants out just as much as some of the fans want him gone.

Riseonfire

Josh Bailey! GAME ONE, TO THE ISLAND!!!
Nov 8, 2009
I look forward to the complaint posts where 'He looks so much better on the other team, where was this Hickey with us?'

Reactions: PK Cronin

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
I could see them re-signing him if they trade for a RHD.

Hypothetical...

Pelech-Trouba
Leddy-Boychuk
Hickey-Pulock
Mayfield

AHL: Toews/Aho/Vande Sompel

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
I could see them re-signing him if they trade for a RHD.

Hypothetical...

Pelech-Trouba
Leddy-Boychuk
Hickey-Pulock
Mayfield

AHL: Toews/Aho/Vande Sompel

We have enough bottom pairing d-men, we need to strive for better. Settling for mediocrity has gotten old. I'd rather see those 3rd pair minutes go to a young guy with upside than bringing back Hickey.

We crucify Garth for re-signing Clutterbuck, Cizikas. Bringing back Hickey is more of the same type of move.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
We have enough bottom pairing d-men, we need to strive for better. Settling for mediocrity has gotten old. I'd rather see those 3rd pair minutes go to a young guy with upside than bringing back Hickey.

We crucify Garth for re-signing Clutterbuck, Cizikas. Bringing back Hickey is more of the same type of move.

Problem is that he'll likely cost more than you'll want to pay for a 5th/6th defenseman. It's Clutterbuck syndrome.

I’ve actually said before that I would like to see them bring in two upgrades on defense, but if I’m being realistic, i see them only bringing in one and trying to band-aid the defense the Islander way.

I’m not advocating bringing back Hickey. I can just see it happening based on past signings.

bigd

Jul 27, 2003
The way they caved this season you could quantify the whole group as 3rd pairing defenders.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
What I would rather see are two trades. One for a Trouba like D involving one of the 1st rounders, additional picks, and then Hjalmarsson for 2nd and Aho/Vande Sompel/Wotherspoon or someone.

ThreeLeftSkates

Nov 20, 2008
I look forward to the complaint posts where 'He looks so much better on the other team, where was this Hickey with us?'
I already think he would look better on any other team(i.e,stapled to the boards, bad pinches with no chance to get back, tape to tape passes to the other team in our slot)

Reactions: dood

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
I think it's safe to say at this point that it had nothing to do with Doug Weight, or anyone he was partnered with. Thomas Hickey is absolute trash and replacing him with any other defenseman on this roster would be an improvement. That isn't conjecture, bias or over reaction.... the guy flat out sucks.

Watch the highlights from just about any game, when the Islanders are scrambling in their own zone and shots are raining down on them, or they are caught in an odd man rush... it's almost always while Hickey is on the ice. He's got plenty of heart, I'll give him that.

beach

Aug 17, 2005
here
Last year's coaching staff, this year's coaching staff, and his teammates all think Hickey is a solid player, from all of the interviews I've read and watched. That and his stats indicate that he is far better than is thought by many on this board. The lack of a true 1/2 D tandem forces Hickey to play more and in situations that are above his best suited level. He is a very solid 5/6 guy if used in the manner that a 5/6 guy should be used. I think the team and coaches know this and appreciate what he brings every night.

Reactions: And You Feel Shame

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Last year's coaching staff, this year's coaching staff, and his teammates all think Hickey is a solid player, from all of the interviews I've read and watched. That and his stats indicate that he is far better than is thought by many on this board. The lack of a true 1/2 D tandem forces Hickey to play more and in situations that are above his best suited level. He is a very solid 5/6 guy if used in the manner that a 5/6 guy should be used. I think the team and coaches know this and appreciate what he brings every night.
Ideally Devon Toews would be called up sometime this season, Hickey would become the 7D and Sbisa would be waived.

Metnut

Jan 19, 2013
He's fine as a 7th d (better than Strait/Seindeburg/Sbisa) but he's clearly a spot in our top 6 that can and should be upgraded. He's not a guy that drives possession, sets up offense, or a lock down d-man. The sooner Toews gets up here the better.

Reactions: dood

Macch

Mar 22, 2010
I think it's safe to say at this point that it had nothing to do with Doug Weight, or anyone he was partnered with. Thomas Hickey is absolute trash and replacing him with any other defenseman on this roster would be an improvement. That isn't conjecture, bias or over reaction.... the guy flat out sucks.

Watch the highlights from just about any game, when the Islanders are scrambling in their own zone and shots are raining down on them, or they are caught in an odd man rush... it's almost always while Hickey is on the ice. He's got plenty of heart, I'll give him that.

Agreed. To keep things positive... makes me even more excited about Mayfield's good play this season.

Reactions: Jester9881 and MJF

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY

They all cited how hard he works, which I acknowledge. You're right that he's being used in situations above his level..... he's being used as a bottom pairing now and isn't NHL caliber.

Reactions: ThreeLeftSkates

beach

Aug 17, 2005
here
They all cited how hard he works, which I acknowledge. You're right that he's being used in situations above his level..... he's being used as a bottom pairing now and isn't NHL caliber.
Yep. You know better than Trotz. Pure genius.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->