Player Discussion: Hickey

nystromshairstylist

Dec 13, 2009
I realize at this point he is likely gone after this season (I think he might be in the last year of his contract), but he is simply awful.

I saw him get pushed around in last night's game like a plush doll, given how awful a player he is what is the advantage of keeping him on the ice/roster when there are far better, younger players with vastly more upside on the sideline? Does this organization ever learn from its mistakes?

I guess a GM who has failed in all 3 of his last top-5 draft picks can't possibly be expected to to make rational, smart decisions any time soon.

ThreeLeftSkates

Nov 20, 2008
I am on board with this. But who would want an undersized, slow(but good)skater enough to trade for him?

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
He might be the new Seidenberg...that extra guy the team signs at the league minimum...

Richie Daggers Crime

Boosted 9 times they/them
Mar 8, 2004
Boise
His underlying numbers are pretty good, even though his usage leans hard to defensive zone starts.

He's the type of player that's easy to notice when a mistake is made and has a super obvious deficiency that is easy to point at and rail over, even if it's not that bad in reality.

Reactions: Baeron

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Hickey will get a full time gig someplace else after his contract ends at the end of the season.

Glory Days

Aug 16, 2012
Charlotte
I know he has limitations but we can't have Leddy Boychuk and a bunch of kids next year. If Calvin, Seidenberg and Hickey all go we can't replace them with Aho Toews and another Bridge player.

wingnutks

Nov 17, 2011
Congrats to Hickey on his 100th career point.

Also in leading the team in +/-

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Hickey is the least of the Isles problem on defense.

This.

When the team is truly competitive, there'll be no more space for Hickey. But we're not there yet.

We're just happy to have bodies.

This said, he's likely moving on as a UFA this summer.

But very interesting: He's currently a +14!

redbull

Boss
Mar 24, 2008
He's a +13 and in my opinion, the second best defenseman on this sad sack isles defense.

Let's all absorb that for a moment

Sheva7

Work Hahd Play Smaht
Oct 11, 2011
Hickey being 'the least of this teams problems' just isn't true.

Hickey isn't a problem at all. Guy is one of the best bottom pair dmen you could ask for.

Reactions: bigd and beach

wingnutks

Nov 17, 2011
Hickey is a very good bottom pair Dman. He is also pretty clutch on offense. However I think he is just barely better than Pelech and if Pelech gets decent coaching and developement he will easily be better than hickey

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
With Aho, Toews, Vande Sompel, and even Wotherspoon all playing pro hockey here in North America, Hickey should absolutely be a goner.

bigd

Jul 27, 2003
He's a +13 and in my opinion, the second best defenseman on this sad sack isles defense.

Let's all absorb that for a moment
And Leddy is a -29. I know people don't take much stock in plus/minus but when you have 36 points as a D-man and your a -29 there's a problem.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad