Player Discussion: Hickey

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
I mean Chabot was one of the most premier defensive prospects in the league. Pulock is progressing, not every team just drafts #1 defenseman at will.

Also, not every team simply gets lucky and drafts #1 centers right after their former one leaves either...

The good teams get it right.

We drafted a Reinhart and let a Spurgeon go free.
Our number one Center has one goal.
The last time the NY Islanders had an exciting defensive prospect was Bryan Berard. That's a long time ago.
The last time this team had a franchise D-man?
Forever.

Reactions: bigtim1988

DerekKingSnipes

Feb 20, 2013
Long Island

The last time the NY Islanders had an exciting defensive prospect was Bryan Berard. That's a long time ago.
Forever.
Watching soundtigers a lot there are some new age NHL defense prospects there, not only Toews but Aho, Van de Sompel, Wotherspoon, Rathgeb all these guys can skate and move puck. Then you have Dobson and Wilde from last years draft and Mirageas at Providence there are some puck moving skating defense prospects I don’t think defense will be a problem

Reactions: dood

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina

Forever.

Our number one center also has 13 points in 15 games. You know your points wouldn't be as crazy if you didn't stretch the truth so far it breaks.

Isle1966

Nov 18, 2003
Hickey was really bad last night against Panthers. Too soft with passes, the turnovers and never want to see him get the puck in the O zone.

Reactions: Bill Herlyn

Bill Herlyn

Oct 18, 2017
One of Hickey, Mayfield or Pelech needs to be replaced by Toews. My preference is that it would be one of Pelech or Hickey as we need Toews skating and offensive ability on this team right now!

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
Potvin
Persson
K Jonsson
Morrow
T Jonsson
Lewis
Pilon

That's our top 7 in Dman all time games played. After this season the little waiver pickup will be 8th on the all time list. In 19-20 he will pass Morrow and be 4th . If Hickey has proven anything it's his ability to play just about every night. He is getting some more than usual hate lately but this kid has been one of our top 2-3 overall Dmen over the last 5 years.

I never said it was a good thing .

LGI

ThreeLeftSkates

Nov 20, 2008
Potvin
Persson
K Jonsson
Morrow
T Jonsson
Lewis
Pilon

That's our top 7 in Dman all time games played. After this season the little waiver pickup will be 8th on the all time list. In 19-20 he will pass Morrow and be 4th . If Hickey has proven anything it's his ability to play just about every night. He is getting some more than usual hate lately but this kid has been one of our top 2-3 overall Dmen over the last 5 years.

I never said it was a good thing .

LGI
Capuano is pretty high up on the coaching wins list for the team, it means nothing. No interest as a UFA, gonna have to be a toss in in a package. Not a top six NHL dman.

Reactions: BTrotts19

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
Capuano is pretty high up on the coaching wins list for the team, it means nothing. No interest as a UFA, gonna have to be a toss in in a package. Not a top six NHL dman.

Yes about Fred Flintstone but we have only had a handful of head coaches compared to probably a couple hundred D men . Cappy actually has an impressive resume prior to coming up to the NHL . He also was part of Wang Corp that didn't make changes .
Hickey was a waiver pick up . It also shows how the isles don't keep D men very long if a few years of Hickey puts him so high on our list.

I never said it was a good thing

LGI

Rehabguy

Always open minded
Oct 2, 2011
Surprisingly Hickey has been one of our better defenseman under Trotz system. He's playing smart and plays a lot bigger than his size suggests. He's surprised me this year and I've often been a vocal critic because of his size or lack thereof.

Reactions: PROMputt

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Yes about Fred Flintstone but we have only had a handful of head coaches compared to probably a couple hundred D men . Cappy actually has an impressive resume prior to coming up to the NHL . He also was part of Wang Corp that didn't make changes .
Hickey was a waiver pick up . It also shows how the isles don't keep D men very long if a few years of Hickey puts him so high on our list.

I never said it was a good thing

LGI
Cappy is now an assistant with the Florida Panthers, correct?

https://www.local10.com/news/florida/florida-man-dressed-as-fred-flintstone-pulled-over-for-driving-footmobile

wptv-fred-flintstone-pulled-over_1542067087636_103042410_ver1.0_640_480.jpg

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
Hickey's got good advanced stats..this is something Dubas is looking for ...

Hickey 4 Nylander!

Book it!

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
Everyone ****s on Hickey everytime he does something wrong. He had a great game tonight and had to drag Mayfield around who was making some insanely bad decisions.

It is quite true that he is covering for Mayfield a lot this year, he does more good than bad, just when he does bad it is glaring, but that is the case for all the Isles dmen outside of Boychuk

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
I’m always meh on Hickey. He fumbles the puck too much to be a reliable D men and turnovers are a staple part of what he’s serving up. His +- is inflated by being sheltered and the situations he’s put in.

Give me some Toews over Hickey.

Pulock-Leddy
B-chuk-Pelech
Mayfield-Toews

Toews takes PP time from Leddy.

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
Our number one center also has 13 points in 15 games. You know your points wouldn't be as crazy if you didn't stretch the truth so far it breaks.
This coming from a person who thinks Lehner was the best UFA goalie on the market and is a better player than Halak.

Le Grec

Jun 28, 2011
Hickey is the first player I would trade.

I would enjoy watching the games a lot more if he was gone and Toews replaced him.

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
Right now Hickey is the weakest link. Pelech is a close second.

Mayfield has improved significantly this year. He is efficient, effective, makes plays on both ends, and has cut down on the egregious turnovers.

Reactions: bigtim1988

crasherino

May 9, 2013
I want to like Hickey. I want him to be the unsung player who isn't the fastest, isn't the biggest/strongest but just does the right thing all the time. I want him to be the guy who steps up to make a big hit (like he did last night at one point) despite his size. And he does all that at times (I realize you can't do the right thing all the time....sometimes, but you get my point), but there is just way too much loose play from him. There are some brutal turnovers and then there are some plays where he just gets flat out beat. Too often to be a mainstay in the lineup for years to come.

I sometimes think of him as a guy that really made it - an UDFA who busted his ass to make the big time. But then I remember that he was a top-5 pick and then I get confused and forget what I was thinking about.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I want to like Hickey. I want him to be the unsung player who isn't the fastest, isn't the biggest/strongest but just does the right thing all the time. I want him to be the guy who steps up to make a big hit (like he did last night at one point) despite his size. And he does all that at times (I realize you can't do the right thing all the time....sometimes, but you get my point), but there is just way too much loose play from him. There are some brutal turnovers and then there are some plays where he just gets flat out beat. Too often to be a mainstay in the lineup for years to come.

I sometimes think of him as a guy that really made it - an UDFA who busted his ass to make the big time. But then I remember that he was a top-5 pick and then I get confused and forget what I was thinking about.

I always had a sneaking suspicion that you were Butch.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad