HIC: Don Cherry just ripped Babcock for flying to see Matthews on the television hockey night in can

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
This might sound crazy, but maybe Babcock told his family "we're going to take a trip once the playoffs are over" and then they did that. I have a hunch you can probably book a hotel in Arizona without needing to do it 3 months ahead of time.
Yes, but "they" said it was planned long before. So they might have said like you stated above but we have evidense of having matthews in arizona before babcock and his family flew in. So therefore we can already know as fact that babcock knew matthews was there too and he wanted to fly also there so he could see him face to face, eye to eye. That's the key. It doesn't matter who he had with him or what he had with him. He had to see the matthews.

Reactions: diceman934

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
First fact: there is no rift between Matthews. Everything you hear about this "rift" is made by first, Kypreos...then every media worth a crap ran with it to get views, clicks, etc..

You're really buying into all this media stuff, aren't you? Even in the face of counterpoints that cannot be denied? Disappointing. Babcock loves Matthews' family, respects both his parents alot for the way they raised Matthews...that's a fact...Arizona is a prime location for family trips...that's a fact...plane tickets are cheap for Babcock, could pretty much get them any time...and why would Babcock bring his family with him if he only wants to talk to Matthews?!
I did not say in any posts of mine that there is a rift. I only stated the facts: Babcock flew in and had to see Matthews. They saw.

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
I did not say in any posts of mine that there is a rift. I only stated the facts: Babcock flew in and had to see Matthews. They saw.

When you say Babcock flew to Arizona just to see him, what are you implying? Because this entire premise by the toxic media is Babcock (alone) went to Arizona just to see Matthews...to amend the rift between. Well, he didn't go alone as the media implied...he went with his family...an important detail that the media probably deliberated left out to push their agenda about this "rift" that never existed.

frizzer1

Oct 19, 2013
Interesting how so many on this forum are so absolutely sure about whether there is a problem with babcock and Matthews..or not.
The fact is that no one here knows anything..

Reactions: The Apologist

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
Interesting how so many on this forum are so absolutely sure about whether there is a problem with babcock and Matthews..or not.

This literally applies to every topic here almost. A whole bunch of self assured nobodies arguing over nothing with zero power to change anything.

Reactions: Walshy7
Apr 1, 2010
Yes the optics are terrible. A 20yr old tail of a kid appears to be wagging the 8M $ dog of a coach. But what of it. I don't care about Babs flying out to see him I care about the message he flew out there to deliver.
I hope he hammered home that Matthews' performance in the post season was far and away sub par and that if he wants to one day be Captain of this club ( instead of Marner or Rielly) he needs to perform at a much higher level.
This kid is going to be looking for 10+M on a contract but if he is going to be a bust when we need the ultimate and toughest question is; Why do we keep him?

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008

The problem is not that no one knows anything...the problem is some people are poisonous, toxic and assuming the worst (I'm sure these people would make great coaches for Matthews) when there's no evidence to suggest such things...that's the problem.

Reactions: Walshy7

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
When you say Babcock flew to Arizona just to see him, what are you implying? Because this entire premise by the toxic media is Babcock (alone) went to Arizona just to see Matthews...to amend the rift between. Well, he didn't go alone as the media implied...he went with his family...an important detail that the media probably deliberated left out to push their agenda about this "rift" that never existed.
I'm not impying anythang. I'm just writing just as Don Cherry said on my television set: Babcock flew to arizona to see Matthews. That I know.

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
I'm not impying anythang. I'm just writing just as Don Cherry said on my television set: Babcock flew to arizona to see Matthews. That I know.

Cherry was spouting what he heard or what he thought...if we keep pushing someone else's agenda, then it becomes our own.

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
Cherry was spouting what he heard or what he thought...if we keep pushing someone else's agenda, then it becomes our own.
No but I know even without Cherry that Babcock flew to arizona. And then he met mr. matthews. It's already getting very, very interesting. Coach Babcock had to see Matthews in arizona. It was the purpose.

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
Reactions: meefer

CabanaBoy5

Feb 17, 2013
Woodbridge
I told you guys last year that Babcock was handling Matthews incorrectly. Fact is Matthews is not like the other players. He’s a superstar and should receive proper linemates, pp time, and the ice time of a superstar. Stupid Babcock is trying to break Matthews like he would a bucking bronco on his farm in Saskatoon. Most overrated coach in the league.

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
No but I know even without Cherry that Babcock flew to arizona. And then he met mr. matthews. It's already getting very, very interesting. Coach Babcock had to see Matthews in arizona. It was the purpose.

But why wouldn't he visit Matthews if he was in the vicinity...it's like visiting family or friends...if you take a vacation with your family to a place or city where you know someone dear lives in, wouldn't you take the time to visit him/her too? It's only reasonable, not a big deal.

Reactions: Loosie
Apr 1, 2010
I told you guys last year that Babcock was handling Matthews incorrectly. Fact is Matthews is not like the other players. He’s a superstar and should receive proper linemates, pp time, and the ice time of a superstar. Stupid Babcock is trying to break Matthews like he would a bucking bronco on his farm in Saskatoon. Most overrated coach in the league.
H
e did the same with Rielly last year. Hated watching it.​
Done the same with Nylander and Marner as well.
Marner responded wonderfully to his strategy and has become a spark for every line he has been on.

If Matthews feels he needs 21min toi to get his pts, maybe he should look at Sundin who had some of his best years getting sub 20toi. When you get the chance to play, you show up! Matthews crapped the bed v. Boston. No excuses. This is a guy who is supposed to be the next best thing to McDavid. He should be able to perform at a higher level than he did.

As for linemates he got to play with Nylander all year who is the Leafs 3rd or 4th most talented forward, so that's not bad.

oooooooooohCanada

Jan 14, 2017
He did the same with Rielly last year. Hated watching it.​
Done the same with Nylander and Marner as well.
Marner responded wonderfully to his strategy and has become a spark for every line he has been on.

If Matthews feels he needs 21min toi to get his pts, maybe he should look at Sundin who had some of his best years getting sub 20toi. When you get the chance to play, you show up! Matthews crapped the bed v. Boston. No excuses. This is a guy who is supposed to be the next best thing to McDavid. He should be able to perform at a higher level than he did.

As for linemates he got to play with Nylander all year who is the Leafs 3rd or 4th most talented forward, so that's not bad.

Matthews doesn't feel that way though. Once again, this entire rift was created by Kypreos looking at Matthews demeanor on the bench during the playoffs. It has no factual basis other than Kypreos reading faces.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Cilantro.

Coriander?

First fact: there is no rift between Matthews. Everything you hear about this "rift" is made up by, first, Kypreos...then every media worth a crap ran with it to get views, clicks, hits, etc..

You're really buying into all this media stuff, aren't you? Even in the face of counterpoints that cannot be denied? Disappointing. Babcock loves Matthews' family, respects both his parents alot for the way they raised Matthews...that's a fact...Arizona is a prime location for family trips...that's a fact...plane tickets are cheap for Babcock, could pretty much get them any time...and why would Babcock bring his family with him if he only wants to talk to Matthews?!

Source? How prime when compared to Florida, California, Vegas, New York, the Carolinas and so on?

Not saying you're wrong, it's just always seemed suspicious to me that out of all the places to go, Babcock's vacation plans just happen to be taking him to where Matthews is. Could be I guess but if so, it's a pretty big coincidence.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Coriander?

Source? How prime when compared to Florida, California, Vegas, New York, the Carolinas and so on?

Not saying you're wrong, it's just always seemed suspicious to me that out of all the places to go, Babcock's vacation plans just happen to be taking him to where Matthews is. Could be I guess but if so, it's a pretty big coincidence.
I would say Arizona is at least equal to those other locations. Scottsdale for one is an amazing city and very beautiful.
I would not say Arizona is as well known or as big in the vacation world but it is a hotspot for those that know about it

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Coriander?

I kinda thought it was more a destination for Snowbirds that like to play golf in the winter. Not sure its a family vacation spot though. Maybe Babcock has family/extended family in Arizona?

Just throwing this out there but If i did work on my vacation (which I often do) my wife would kill me and she has killed me in the past. She says Family time is for families.... so not sure how Mrs Babcock feels about Mike doing business while on a family vacation but it would be a tough sell for a lot of wives to see their Hubby take time away from the family while on vacation.

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix

So you would rather have him ride a 2oyr old over 20 minutes a game who was dealing with injuries during the season and in the past? Seems like a good strategy.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
I kinda thought it was more a destination for Snowbirds that like to play golf in the winter. Not sure its a family vacation spot though. Maybe Babcock has family/extended family in Arizona?

Just throwing this out there but If i did work on my vacation (which I often do) my wife would kill me and she has killed me in the past. She says Family time is for families.... so not sure how Mrs Babcock feels about Mike doing business while on a family vacation but it would be a tough sell for a lot of wives to see their Hubby take time away from the family while on vacation.

it is

also Babs kids are all in there 20's so i have a hard time believing they all just got packed up like pre teens to go sweat in the desert for a week

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
So you would rather have him ride a 2oyr old over 20 minutes a game who was dealing with injuries during the season and in the past? Seems like a good strategy.
considering playing him 18 mins hasn't kept him healthy , i don't see how an extra 2 mins would do any more damage

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad