HHOF 2019

blood gin

Jan 17, 2017
I do think Konstantinov should go in the Hall. Guy had a good career both here in North America and in Russia.

The accident was tragic. Just horrible. But Konstantinov never displayed Hall of Fame caliber play for long stretches. He was simply a pretty good defenseman whose career was cut short.

Reactions: Voight

blood gin

Jan 17, 2017
Totally agree.

I think Naslund is a polarizing player. People denigrate him but he was a truly fantastic player. People aren't wrong that there were moments that you wish he had come through and he was unable to. But he was still an absolute superstar. The penance he pays for those moments (and the failings of his teammates, including Cloutier in a major way), is that he isn't a hall of famer.

Naslund is an interesting case. His career peak was in the absolute dark ages of the dead puck era. The horrible 1997-2004 years. He also retired from the NHL at 35 coming off a 20+ goal season. He could've easily stuck around 3-4 more years to pad his numbers like so many others but never did.

GMR

Jul 27, 2013
Parts Unknown
Ik this is kinda sad how this players career ended but does vladdy Konstantinov belong in the hall, not just for his NHL accomplishments but his accomplishments in the soviet leagues.
Not really. Although Mikhailov never played in the NHL, can you justify placing Konstantinov in the HHOF before him? He was a Norris candidate and won a Cup, but is that enough to push him over Mikhailov? I'd also induct Maltsev and Mogilny before Mikhailov if we're just talking Russian players who have been eligible a while. Firsov and Bobrov are other names people sometimes mention.

blood gin

Jan 17, 2017
Barrasso is still on the doorstep too, as probably the goalie with probably the best resume among eligibles outside the HHOF.

He was such a jerk though and so reviled by those in the press that I can see him getting the Albert Belle treatment for life

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
Naslund is an interesting case. His career peak was in the absolute dark ages of the dead puck era. The horrible 1997-2004 years. He also retired from the NHL at 35 coming off a 20+ goal season. He could've easily stuck around 3-4 more years to pad his numbers like so many others but never did.

aren't the four seasons he played after the lockout already that?

not only did he never have "it" again after that rush in in game 7 OT of the '04 playoffs against calgary, he really felt like he was just going through the motions and cashing those cheques.

Reactions: seventieslord

blood gin

Jan 17, 2017
aren't the four seasons he played after the lockout already that?

not only did he never have "it" again after that rush in in game 7 OT of the '04 playoffs against calgary, he really felt like he was just going through the motions and cashing those cheques.

I wouldn't say that. He was around 32 when the lockout ended and still decent.

iamjs

Oct 1, 2008
What exactly is the argument for Alfredsson over Joseph?

To me, Joseph had the better career

Alfredsson, in my opinion, is in the same tier as Turgeon and Fleury

I'm still a hard no on Alfie going on. Finished top 10 in goals (9th, 9th, and 9th) and points (4th, 7th, and 9th) only three times, one second team all-star. That's it.

He was a leader in Ottawa and stayed with one franchise for 95% of his career. That's great. That's also why they held this ceremony.

800px-Daniel_Alfredsson_Jersey_Retirement_Banner.jpg

You can respect the player's career without putting him in the HHOF.

Reactions: Voight

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
The accident was tragic. Just horrible. But Konstantinov never displayed Hall of Fame caliber play for long stretches. He was simply a pretty good defenseman whose career was cut short.

In '96, he was a 2nd Team All-Star, finished 4th in Norris voting, and lead the league in +/-

The following season (his last) he finished 2nd in Norris voting

From '96 - '97, he was +98!

Labeling him as simply "pretty good" isn't giving him enough credit

blood gin

Jan 17, 2017
In '96, he was a 2nd Team All-Star, finished 4th in Norris voting, and lead the league in +/-

The following season (his last) he finished 2nd in Norris voting

From '96 - '97, he was +98!

Labeling him as simply "pretty good" isn't giving him enough credit

Ok. That's fair

But I still wouldn't put him in the Hall

Reactions: overg

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
I'm not even certain Konstantinov has the best HHOF case amongst "5'11'' Defensive-minded Cup-Winning D-Men with one AST-2, one league-leading +/- (season) who suffered a tragic end."

Reactions: Johnny Engine

Giotrapani91

Oct 21, 2015
I'm not even certain Konstantinov has the best HHOF case amongst "5'11'' Defensive-minded Cup-Winning D-Men with one AST-2, one league-leading +/- (season) who suffered a tragic end."
What about Kevin Lowe he's considered one of the best defensive defensemen of his era.

trentmccleary

Mar 2, 2002
Alfie-Ville
Visit site
I do think Konstantinov should go in the Hall. Guy had a good career both here in North America and in Russia.

It's two seasons. That's not enough to induct somebody.

He was such a jerk though and so reviled by those in the press that I can see him getting the Albert Belle treatment for life

The HHOF has already inducted jerks and even inducted some convicted criminals as I understand it.

I'm still a hard no on Alfie going on. Finished top 10 in goals (9th, 9th, and 9th) and points (4th, 7th, and 9th) only three times, one second team all-star. That's it.

Alfredsson missed time due to injury most years. It hurt his scoring finishes and award voting.
- he would have 4 Top-5 points finishes instead of 1 had he been more durable in 00, 04, 06 and 08.
- he has 1x 2nd AST, but outscored the chosen 2nd AST RW on 4 other occasions by an average of 5 points each time (02-Guerin, 04-Iginla, 08-Kovalev, 09-Hossa). In addition to easily being on pace to outscore Iginla's 1st AST performance in 2008.

Additionally, he was the 3rd highest scoring player between 2000-2010. In previous decades, 12 of the top-15 have been inducted on average.

Of players drafted between 1992-2003 and players who were draft elgible (like MSL), only two had 8 PPG seasons of 41 games or more: Joe Thornton and Daniel Alfredsson are tied with 8 a piece.

Reactions: Erik Alfredsson

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street

He was a leader in Ottawa and stayed with one franchise for 95% of his career. That's great. That's also why they held this ceremony.

800px-Daniel_Alfredsson_Jersey_Retirement_Banner.jpg

Agree 100%. I don't see Alfredsson making the HHOF. 2003-2004 was his only seasons in the top 10 for points without the Pizza line.

Was there ever a single season where you thought wow, he's one of the best players in the world? Maybe 2006?

Great player but shouldn't make the cut.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Would Gary suter be a bad pick for induction, and would Gary roberts be a bad inductee.

Nobody will ever forgive Suter for what he did to Gretzky and while I don't think he has the credentials to make induction, the voters will hold what he did to 99 against him fair or not.

Right now you have 6 players on the selection committee, 2 of which (Kurri+Robitaille) rode shotgun with him. Plus guys like Branch and Campbell who are tight with him.

Anyone else find it slightly cringe inducing those late 80’s - early 90s Sabre’s teams are going to potentially end up with 4-5 HoFers while accomplishing very little of note? Like dang all these guys in their primes you’d think Buffalo had a mini dynasty somewhere. Shouldn’t that be a clue to the voters something isn’t adding up?

They already have 4 - Housley, Andreychuk, Hawerchuk & LaFontaine. Depends if guys like Turgeon or Mogilny sneak in one day. Hasek's first year was 92-93, so if you include that season you already have 5 of them in.

Makes it on the 2010 olympics. Honestly the guy deserved better award consideration but as for the Hockey Hall of Fame nah. He’s behind Richter and Beezer by quite a bit.

Just glanced at his voting record, wow aside from his peak 2010 season hr received Vezina votes only once, in 2006-2007. The way he played during his Vezina year you'd have thought he was due to a nice run of Vezina consideration.

trentmccleary

Mar 2, 2002
Alfie-Ville
Visit site
Agree 100%. I don't see Alfredsson making the HHOF. 2003-2004 was his only seasons in the top 10 for points without the Pizza line.

Was there ever a single season where you thought wow, he's one of the best players in the world? Maybe 2006?

Great player but shouldn't make the cut.

He was 8th in PPG in the 5 years preceding the 2005 lockout and 6th in PPG in the 5 years after.
2000-2004: Forsberg, Jagr, Sakic, Palffy, Bure, Naslund, Demitra, Alfredsson, Thornton, Tkachuk
2006-2010: Crosby, Ovechkin, Thornton Malkin, Jagr, Alfredsson, Spezza, Gaborik, Heatley, Kovalchuk

1998-2004Deadpuck Era: # of 1.00+ PPG Seasons (min. 50 GP)
6Jagr
5Sakic, Modano, Palffy
4Alfredsson, Bure, Forsberg, Lindros, Naslund
3Kariya, Selanne, Demitra, Tkachuk, Turgeon, Allison
2Sundin, Yashin, Thornton, Hossa, Fleury, Recchi, Mogilny, Bertuzzi, B.Hull, Elias, Straka, Leclair, Kovalev, Stumpel
1Fedorov, Bondra, Hejduk, Iginla, Arnott, Shanahan, Yzerman, Guerin, Oates, Roenick, Weight, Kovalchuk, G.Murray, O. Nolan
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Reactions: Erik Alfredsson

Pominville Knows

Sep 28, 2012
Down Under
Thats not the point. No need to continue the practice of letting very good but not great players in.
We will just have to wait and see, since its not us or our standards that elect people there. They might view some players as mistakes, or they have just decided that is where the needle should be from now on.
Alfredsson gets in though, make no mistake.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
We will just have to wait and see, since its not us or our standards that elect people there. They might view some players as mistakes, or they have just decided that is where the needle should be from now on.
Alfredsson gets in though, make no mistake.

If he does make it in, it'll be because guys like Duff, Gillies and Andreychuk are in.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad