HHOF 2019

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
I call shenanigans where is the original Alexander the great? Alexander Mogilny deserves to be in the hall and what are the excuses? He won a cup with the Devils and had over a point a game. Shame on the HHOF!

He had 4 goals, 7 points in 23 games during those playoffs

39 goals, 86 points in 124 career playoff games

GlitchMarner

Typical malevolent, devious & vile Maple Leafs fan
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
Mogilny had an amazing 1993 season and an elite 1996 season, but there isn't a whole lot else about his NHL career that makes him a strong HHOF candidate. He also had one big season with NJ and a very good season with TOR in 2003 (where he was the only player other than Sundin to lead the Leafs in scoring in a period of about 15 years); otherwise he was often injured or just not remarkably productive, especially for someone of his talent level.

He's similar to Kovalev, who has about four or five NHL seasons that stand out and could be tantalizing with his skill at times. Mogilny was still a better and more consistent RS player, but Kovalev was better in the playoffs.

As Neutrinos highlighted, AlMo's NHL playoff career isn't great.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
Mogilny had an amazing 1993 season and an elite 1996 season...
That's a little stingy, to be fair. What about 1991-92? Mogilny missed 13 games, but otherwise was on pace for a 47-goal, 100-point season. Then, in 1993-94, he missed 18 (of 84) games, but was pacing for 101 points, and that with Lafontaine on the sidelines. He also scored 43 goals in 75 games in 2001, at the peak of the DPE, making the All Star team.

But I agree, he's a borderline Hall of Participation-er at best.

Reactions: GlitchMarner

Giotrapani91

Oct 21, 2015
It's very likely that Mogilny will be inducted.
I hope so the only lock next year is iginla. But I think cuz of how they inducted kariya and selanne at the same time, they'll do that with iginla and fleury. If I had to pick the other 3 in that class it be fleury cuz he played for Calgary when iginla was a rookie. Mogilny maybe, turgeon is a long shot but still should be in they shouldn't hold that he played a soft game against him. If I had to pick the two others it prolly be and Ik I'll get some crap for this one but Dave Taylor great player & maybe cujo. It's gonna be someone that's waited awhile, if NBC doesnt get there contract resigned and espn with abc or fox come in maybe they'll induct tkachuk & Roenick in 2021.

99wasthebest

Jun 30, 2009
Check Zubov's Norris voting record vs. his peers. It's pathetic.

People need to decide that not every single player in history who was above-average should be a Hall of Famer. Unfortunately, the current Hall committee has, evidently, decided exactly that every such player gets in.
I like how you ignored the argument LOL. Oh well, the HHOF finally got it right and now it's official. Toodles!

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
I like how you ignored the argument LOL. Oh well, the HHOF finally got it right and now it's official. Toodles!
The "argument" you refer to was about a half-year ago, so I couldn't remember it at all. But I reviewed the thread.

Last June, I think I was in a bit of a piqued state about weak Hall of Fame inductees, and perhaps my use of the word "pathetic" to describe Zubov's Norris record vs. his peers was a bit harsh.

To be clear: I have nothing against Zubov. I think Zubov was a really great player. I like him very much, in fact. I would love it if my team had a Zubov.

Nevertheless, my position remains that Zubov's being a Hall of Famer lowers the standard further (as Housley and Andreychuk have already done), and most definitely my position remains that I would prefer the Hall to have much more exclusive standards.

Please understand that a handful of my own favorite players are in the Hall... and I don't think they should be.

It's nothing personal against Zubov (to repeat: I thought he was a great player and I like him), but if he is a Hall of Famer, we have to once again ask ourselves where the ever-lowering line is drawn. Randy Carlyle won a Norris, which Zubov never did. And if Zubov is a Hall of Famer, why isn't Doug Wilson, who probably has a better Norris record? Then ask yourself, does Doug Wilson strike you as a Hall of Famer. When we watched Doug Wilson, did we collectively think, "We are watching a Hall of Famer?" If we didn't (I personally didn't), then the standard is now too low, in my opinion.

For the third time, I have nothing against Zubov, and I think he was great.

Pominville Knows

Sep 28, 2012
Down Under
The "argument" you refer to was about a half-year ago, so I couldn't remember it at all. But I reviewed the thread.

Last June, I think I was in a bit of a piqued state about weak Hall of Fame inductees, and perhaps my use of the word "pathetic" to describe Zubov's Norris record vs. his peers was a bit harsh.

To be clear: I have nothing against Zubov. I think Zubov was a really great player. I like him very much, in fact. I would love it if my team had a Zubov.

Nevertheless, my position remains that Zubov's being a Hall of Famer lowers the standard further (as Housley and Andreychuk have already done), and most definitely my position remains that I would prefer the Hall to have much more exclusive standards.

Please understand that a handful of my own favorite players are in the Hall... and I don't think they should be.

It's nothing personal against Zubov (to repeat: I thought he was a great player and I like him), but if he is a Hall of Famer, we have to once again ask ourselves where the ever-lowering line is drawn. Randy Carlyle won a Norris, which Zubov never did. And if Zubov is a Hall of Famer, why isn't Doug Wilson, who probably has a better Norris record? Then ask yourself, does Doug Wilson strike you as a Hall of Famer. When we watched Doug Wilson, did we collectively think, "We are watching a Hall of Famer?" If we didn't (I personally didn't), then the standard is now too low, in my opinion.

For the third time, I have nothing against Zubov, and I think he was great.
I think the difference between Zubov and Wilson is the Fame factor. He has a much richer playoff record than Wilson. Better? No. But richer.
Not that Housley does not act like a counterpoint to all that, though. But he did compile alot which brings him some fame.

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
Bottom line is that this is probably the most yawn-inducing Hall class that I can ever think of. Who's up next year?

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
watching and reading various carbonneau interviews this week, i'm totally amused that when he compares himself to current players he compares himself to kopitar, bergeron, and toews.

ten years ago he might have been able to point to pre-peak scoring kesler, fifteen years ago he could compare himself to john madden or maybe a really rich man's draper, twenty years ago peca.

but in this day and age there are no guy carbonneaux left. so he compares himself to the best defensive centers, who are all at least borderline star-level scorers. and the poor guy sounds like a delusional lunatic. but what's he going to do, compare himself to jay beagle? that's even more laughable. he's guy fffffing carbonneau.

which begs the question actually, was 2011 manny malhotra the last truly selke-calibre center who was basically a non-notable scorer?

Staniowski

Jan 13, 2018
The Maritimes
watching and reading various carbonneau interviews this week, i'm totally amused that when he compares himself to current players he compares himself to kopitar, bergeron, and toews.

ten years ago he might have been able to point to pre-peak scoring kesler, fifteen years ago he could compare himself to john madden or maybe a really rich man's draper, twenty years ago peca.

but in this day and age there are no guy carbonneaux left. so he compares himself to the best defensive centers, who are all at least borderline star-level scorers. and the poor guy sounds like a delusional lunatic. but what's he going to do, compare himself to jay beagle? that's even more laughable. he's guy fffffing carbonneau.

which begs the question actually, was 2011 manny malhotra the last truly selke-calibre center who was basically a non-notable scorer?
Bergeron hasn't exactly been a big scoring star through most of his career. How many times has he even finished in the top 40 or 50 in ppg? He's scored well the past few seasons when he's been the 3rd best offensive player on his own line. And Bergeron has almost always had pretty decent linemates.

Carbonneau's most common linemates were Nilan and Gainey, both lesser offensive players than Carbonneau.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Bergeron hasn't exactly been a big scoring star through most of his career. How many times has he even finished in the top 40 or 50 in ppg? He's scored well the past few seasons when he's been the 3rd best offensive player on his own line. And Bergeron has almost always had pretty decent linemates.

Carbonneau's most common linemates were Nilan and Gainey, both lesser offensive players than Carbonneau.

Yes, certainly the comparisons are less hilarious once you look at even strength scoring in isolation.

Giotrapani91

Oct 21, 2015
Bottom line is that this is probably the most yawn-inducing Hall class that I can ever think of. Who's up next year?
Iginla & hossa. The only first ballot out of the 2 is iginla. Can’t see hossa making it on the first ballot but wouldn’t be surprised if he did.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad