HHOF 2019

kaiser matias

Mar 22, 2004
:laugh:

There are some guys in the league that think everyone they played with belongs in the Hall...sometimes I have to really bite my tongue and just go like, "yeah, ya know, I could see them considering Francois Beauchemin one day, sure, sure..." *takes shot*

Gretzky being the prime example. Seems he never saw a player who couldn't make the Hall.

kruezer

Apr 21, 2002
North Bay
Not sure if I'm allowed to post this sort of thing here (mods delete if not) but I started a change.org petition today to get Fran Rider inducted into the HHOF as a builder. You can sign & read more & watch a video about her life if you follow the link.... Sign the Petition

Reactions: seventieslord

Peter Tosh

Dec 19, 2007
Does kronwall have a shot when he retires not first ballot obviously, but does he deserve to be in I mean he's prolly the best shutdown defensemen of his era.
Kronwall wouldn’t even qualify for Red Wings’ own HOF, if there was one. Kronwall is in the same category as Maltby and Holmström, legacy wise. One tier below Kris Draper and Chris Osgood.

acor

Jan 13, 2012
I'm not into Theo Fleury:

Basis of Selection of Candidates: Player -- "Playing ability, sportsmanship, character and contributions to his or her team or teams and to the game of hockey in general."

How does he pass the "sportsmanship" and "character" parts? The guy spent $30 million in cash on drink, drugs, and women of the night.

Not your f***in business what anyone does with his money...

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
Not your ****in business what anyone does with his money...
Hey, the Hall sets out the standards for admission, not me.

I've come around to the idea of Fleury getting in. Alfredsson will get in, and when he does, Fleury likely should too, just based on playing results. But the off-ice stuff and Fleury's blunt personality will make committee members nervous. In Fleury's defence, he's certainly done a lot of humanitarian work (albeit often dressed up in attention-getting media schemes) that should push the pendulum back in his favor. But his induction speech will make the committee members nervous.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Hey, the Hall sets out the standards for admission, not me.

I've come around to the idea of Fleury getting in. Alfredsson will get in, and when he does, Fleury likely should too, just based on playing results. But the off-ice stuff and Fleury's blunt personality will make committee members nervous. In Fleury's defence, he's certainly done a lot of humanitarian work (albeit often dressed up in attention-getting media schemes) that should push the pendulum back in his favor. But his induction speech will make the committee members nervous.

I always enjoy your posts but surely you must be forgetting the horrible abuse that Fleury suffered as a child.

His "behaviour" is classic acting out that is common from victims of the type of violence that Fleury suffered.

The committee should right this wrong and induct him full stop.

Reactions: ORHawksFan

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
I always enjoy your posts but surely you must be forgetting the horrible abuse that Fleury suffered as a child.

His "behaviour" is classic acting out that is common from victims of the type of violence that Fleury suffered.

The committee should right this wrong and induct him full stop.
Of course I'm not forgetting it! That's why I said Fleury, to his credit, has done a great deal of humanitarian work. On the other hand, you don't get inducted to a Hall of Fame just because you experienced abuse.

Putting my own preferences aside, I'd objectively say Fleury is a 'borderline' Hall of Famer (or he was, before Andreychuk lowered the standard), so personal matters aside, he's not a shoo-in anyway. He does have a fair chance to get in, but I think it's going to depend on how he's been handling himself via his treatment of other hockey people over the past few years. (In his book a few years ago, he savaged half the people he played with and for, which didn't exactly endear him to the conservative, croney-ish HOF committee.)

Last edited:

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Of course I'm not forgetting it! That's why I said Fleury, to his credit, has done a great deal of humanitarian work. On the other hand, you don't get inducted to a Hall of Fame just because you experienced abuse.

Putting my own preferences aside, I'd objectively say Fleury is a 'borderline' Hall of Famer (or he was, before Andreychuk lowered the standard), so personal matters aside, he's not a shoo-in anyway. He does have a fair chance to get in, but I think it's going to depend on how he's been handling himself via his treatment of other hockey people over the past few years. (In his book a few years, he savaged half the people he played with and for, which didn't exactly endear him to the conservative, croney-ish HOF committee.)

I don't think we are really too far off on fleury as the player, my point was that his behaviour and how he is perceived (he acts like a real insert expletive here) is what is keeping him out not his resume.

His regular season, playoff and international play are all pluses and makes a pretty solid combination and cumulative HHOF resume.

frisco

Some people claim that there's a woman to blame...
Sep 14, 2017
Northern Hemisphere
His regular season, playoff and international play are all pluses and makes a pretty solid combination and cumulative HHOF resume.
Fleury in the playoffs had two years where his team made the playoffs and lasted more than one round. Out of fifteen seasons. I'd say his playoff contributions (79 points in 77 games) aren't really helping him. He did play well in losing efforts but it just not something that's going to bolster his case.

My Best-Carey

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
imo, fleury is probably the most memorable playoff performer of all time among guys without the benefit of deep runs. i think it absolutely bolsters his case.

but anyway, the case for theo fleury has always been and always will be that he's an unforgettable player in general. in this thread (i think?) i said "there is only one tikkanen." there is also only one fleury. how many totally unique players are there in a generation?

but again, you kind of just have to hope that all the connected junior hockey canada institutions people with something to hide die before there's no one around to remember what fleury did on the ice in the '90s.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
Wow this is a horribly weak group.

Really?? Alfredsson?
Some of you guys think Alfredsson is a shoe-in??
COME ON! FFS WHy?

Cuz he spent most of his career with 1 franchise?

Cuz he was once 5th in league scoring?????

I don't think anyone should get in this year.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
I understand 3 inductions per year is mathematically like 30 per decade.
Which means, the 30th best player of this decade will make it in.

Lets face it...

The 30th best player this decade is someone like Joe Pavelski or Brian Campbell.
Do you guys think Pavelski, or Campbell should make the HHOF?

Because this current crop seems comparable to those 2.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Fleury in the playoffs had two years where his team made the playoffs and lasted more than one round. Out of fifteen seasons. I'd say his playoff contributions (79 points in 77 games) aren't really helping him. He did play well in losing efforts but it just not something that's going to bolster his case.

My Best-Carey

We will agree to disagree then since his performance was quite good even if his teams didn't perform that well.

Giotrapani91

Oct 21, 2015
:laugh:

There are some guys in the league that think everyone they played with belongs in the Hall...sometimes I have to really bite my tongue and just go like, "yeah, ya know, I could see them considering Francois Beauchemin one day, sure, sure..." *takes shot*
Beauchemin no great shutdown defenseman but no. If any one shutdown wise should be in it should be hatcher

Nick Hansen

Sep 28, 2017
Toews probably will go in, his reputation is so strong. If he does, Kopitar should as well IMO.

Giotrapani91

Oct 21, 2015
Will henrik lundqvist go in even if he doesn't win a cup. I mean he has a vezina him and Ryan miller both, but I think him and Ryan miller have the longevity, miller is the winningest US born goalie and the best one other than beezer not to win a cup. And imo lundqvist is the best European goalie of his era not to win the cup.

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.hockeyprospect.com
Finally, a name worthy of the thread...

Lundqvist is the goalie of record, if you will, in the era after the big sleep. Where that ends, I'm not entirely sure...maybe 2013. That's when the game started to figure out its own speed...though I guess you could probably argue it's another couple years later before it was more than halfway realized...

Anyway...yes, Lundqvist has an impressive resume for me.

Ryan Miller...ugh, not even close...nor does he have longevity really, he's been in the league a while - sure...but he was a starter for, what, 9? 10 years? Miller is a little better than Cam Ward...but that's not a bar to drink in...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad