OT: HFWings Keeper Fantasy Hockey League: Season Two

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Kovalchuck has been a nice little pick up for me so far. Let's see how long that's lasts.

I really thought you were grasping at straws, but damn, they actually put him into a top 6 roll immediately and he's producing. Makes you wonder what the hell was going on in LA.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
I really thought you were grasping at straws, but damn, they actually put him into a top 6 roll immediately and he's producing. Makes you wonder what the hell was going on in LA.
The few times I watched him play I thought he looked fine. Thought I might as well take the gamble. I could afford to miss if he absolutely stinks up the place.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
The few times I watched him play I thought he looked fine. Thought I might as well take the gamble. I could afford to miss if he absolutely stinks up the place.

I always have one gamble spot open. Gotta take a chance on someone getting hot.

My latest gamble is that I picked up Drouin who is still on IR. My IR spots are full up with guys recovering some surgery and then sitting on my bench is Korpisalo (probably another month) and Blackwood (hopefully back soon?).

But having Bjorkstrand, Mantha, and Drouin all come back in the next month is going to feel like Christmas. Just need to survive my weeks until then with @Sparty nipping at my heels for 1st place in the conference.

Sparty

Oct 2, 2015
Continuing the Gallant talk here...
I'm a little worried my workhorse point producers Marchessault and Theodore will suffer with a new coach. Theodore in particular has been killing it lately and is now in the top 75 of our league. I don't want some new guy messing that up.

Yeah, I have a bunch of VGKs too and they are killing it. Pacioretty and Smith are money for me. I don't really care for Deboer, I guess we'll see what happens.

turkleton85

Dec 12, 2017
I always have one gamble spot open. Gotta take a chance on someone getting hot.

My latest gamble is that I picked up Drouin who is still on IR. My IR spots are full up with guys recovering some surgery and then sitting on my bench is Korpisalo (probably another month) and Blackwood (hopefully back soon?).

But having Bjorkstrand, Mantha, and Drouin all come back in the next month is going to feel like Christmas. Just need to survive my weeks until then with @Sparty nipping at my heels for 1st place in the conference.

yeah i finally dumped drouin...i think with wrist surgery, the chance he'll come back playing great hockey is a bit slimmer. i needed the IR spot for parayko. Hopefully he produces for you!

Sparty

Oct 2, 2015
Just need to survive my weeks until then with @Sparty nipping at my heels for 1st place in the conference.

Yeah I was looking at the schedule and I noticed we're not playing each other again. I keep watching for you to slip up but it ain't happening, and I probably need to gain two games since you beat me before and I don't know what the tiebreaker is (points or H2H).

turkleton85

Dec 12, 2017
@mantha39 and @Sards and others of course, Linus Ulmark is available. I'm looking for a similar or higher ranked player, since ulmark will raise a few more spots over the rest of the season ( he's sitting at 60 now). Carter hutton got 2 starts over the last 25 games or so, so ulmark basically starts every game and is solid

i need high level wingers

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
yeah i finally dumped drouin...i think with wrist surgery, the chance he'll come back playing great hockey is a bit slimmer. i needed the IR spot for parayko. Hopefully he produces for you!

Drouin killed me a bit last year. His production just disappeared late in the season.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
I have a trade to take care of that.

You're ballpark. I was hoping for something a little more exciting if I move Mantha but his trade market is softer than I anticipated.

Maybe if there were some draft pick sweeteners? Mantha is definitely a keeper quality guy. Hate to just jettison him for a pure rental because I'm crunched.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Oh dang, just realized I have Malkin and McCann going against Detroit tonight. I'm going to say... 25 points combined? Maybe that's conservative.

Reactions: Winger98

Eastopia

Custom Title User
May 26, 2012
Looking to flip a forward or two for an upgrade on D or in net

Ekholm is available on defense but I’m more interested in upgrading picks than players. Send me an offer if you’re interested.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Oh dang, just realized I have Malkin and McCann going against Detroit tonight. I'm going to say... 25 points combined? Maybe that's conservative.

Malkin did his part, 15.20 points. McCann only 0.70 though. Ah beans.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
so far tonight:

14 position players: 25.8 points
2 goalies: 21.8 points

And that's not my two highest scoring goalies. My skaters have really sucked this season.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
so far tonight:

14 position players: 25.8 points
2 goalies: 21.8 points

And that's not my two highest scoring goalies. My skaters have really sucked this season.

Ouch. Elvis got me another 22 points all by himself. Pretty sure he'll be the leagues #1 scorer over a 2 week period after tomorrow. And that was after as a backup he didn't win a single game and was demoted to AHL time.

Goalies, man.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Ouch. Elvis got me another 22 points all by himself. Pretty sure he'll be the leagues #1 scorer over a 2 week period after tomorrow. And that was after as a backup he didn't win a single game and was demoted to AHL time.

Goalies, man.

I know we talked about it last season, but we need to rejigger the goalies some how. Varlamov took a loss and got torched tonight and was still worth 4.85 points. I got some (deserved) crap a page or two ago about the goalies I'm carrying, but if they do anything they are worth more than pretty much any skater I can grab out of the free agency pool outside of riding some guy on a hot streak. Howard's been a tire fire but still averages 7.27 per start.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
I know we talked about it last season, but we need to rejigger the goalies some how. Varlamov took a loss and got torched tonight and was still worth 4.85 points. I got some (deserved) crap a page or two ago about the goalies I'm carrying, but if they do anything they are worth more than pretty much any skater I can grab out of the free agency pool outside of riding some guy on a hot streak. Howard's been a tire fire but still averages 7.27 per start.

7.27 per start is strong, but consider you can only start 2 goalies any given evening and he's not playing every game. Even with that average, he's sitting at rank 390. There's about 60 players on waivers who have scored more points. And that assumes you used one of your goalie slots on Howard for every single start he's had - if you have 3-4 goalies, you're almost never going to get all your goalie starts played for a week. Not true if you're carrying 3 great forward or defenders. I never have to bench Burns. I do have to bench Binnington sometimes.

So goalies do get more built-in points than skaters, that's true, but if they didn't they'll never match skater totals. There's less than 30 routine starting NHL goalies. So while their overall value is skewed higher, there's far few of them in our pool.

So even with our totals a shade inflated, zero goalies are in the top 10 in scoring. And only 6 are in the top 30.

If you have the #10 goalie in the league, he's overall #46.

If you have the #10 skater in the league, well... he's #10.

Only 19 goalies make our top 100. And again to get every single earned point, that would assume you played them every single start, which is probably impossible.

I kind of like the way those numbers look at raw value, but I do understand what you're talking about. And it's why I wanted to look at the numbers again this year. After digging a little deeper, if we scale back goalies more, I'm not sure they become valuable at all unless they are a surefire top 10 starter.

Even the elite ones like Binnington (rank 34) can be a bit feast or famine. While Elvis has been the #1 players in the league over the last 2 weeks with 110.65 points (6 wins, 3 shutouts, .959 sv% - insane numbers), Binnington was the #183 player over the last 2 weeks with 33.90 points (still won 3/5 games there). Aside from lofty, unsustainable numbers, the secret to Elvis' big totals were playing over 400 minutes - also very unusual. He's started 10 straight games including back-to-backs, which is never going to happen routinely.

I just see those numbers and think for a goalie to be #1 he has to basically start every single game, win 80% of his games, and get shutouts in half his games. Good luck, eh?

The last two weeks the #10 goalie nets you 49 points if you start him every game (Jarry). The #10 skater gets you 63 points, who you are guaranteed to be starting every game (Auston Matthews).

Last edited:

turkleton85

Dec 12, 2017
i like the goalies as they are, as bench pointed out there are pros and cons and the limited starts.

Sparty

Oct 2, 2015
The only change I think would be fair is capping how many you can carry. A few weeks ago I was carrying five because I had Howard and Anderson both come back from injury and I didn't know who to keep because I picked up Dell while they were out and he became their starter. Didn't like dropping one but I just felt like it was only right, five goalies seems like too much.

I think points are fine too

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad