OT: HFPens Community Lounge: A Pocket Full of Bits

Status
Not open for further replies.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Can’t road trip through an ocean. :laugh:

Also as a Jersey Girl, my mom was absolutely thrilled to meet Frankie Valli a few years back and absolutely scandalized at how short he is in real life.

LOL, my wife met him saw him on a flight to Vegas many years ago and said the same. :biglaugh:

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
So as to not clog the pristine music thread up with this I just want to say that Eric Clapton is a full-on knob and is and always has been overrated AF

And no this isn't just because of his recent stupid shit. I just f***ing hate that guy and can't stand how many otherwise-smart players I know worship him. God my ass... in a world that was right he should have played for The Eagles. That's how bland, tasteless and petulant dude is.

Sorry I had to get that out.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Anyone looking for show recommendations, I'll throw out invincible on prime video. It's kinda gruesome at times but it's really good overall.

Bonus points because the 2 main characters were both voice actors in The Legend of Korra in Wan and Tenzin :laugh:

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Going to see Deftones and Gojira in August at the Pete. Heck, I may drive to Cleveland in October as well to see 'jira headline that one with Alien Weaponry in support. Last one I saw was Dark Tranquility and Insomnium at the flippin Altar Bar like, 4 years ago. Altar Bar doesn't even exist anymore.

Deftones are still a thing?

Man... havent heard them since late 90's early 2000's... last I heard was that his throat/voice/whatever was going to be in trouble and his singing days would be over with all the screaming he does... forget his name even...

I guess not, or they got a new singer, or he doesnt scream as much, but deftones and screaming is synonymous.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
I finally started watching Neon Genesis Evangelion after a quarter-century of hearing how much I'd like it. It's been a long-ass time since I've been in a position where I can actually watch something and, you know, remember what happened a minute ago.

A few tangentially related thoughts...
  1. Kids these days. I'm going to sound ancient forever, but explaining why I haven't seen something I wanted to watch for so long isn't going to make sense if you grew up in an internetless world. When I wanted to watch it I outright couldn't...the eventual $50 VHS tapes with 2 episodes (of 26) weren't exactly an option when $50 was 5 months of allowance and my parents didn't have disposable income.
  2. The well was poisoned. Anime is a medium, not a genre, and it most definitely was not presented as such when companies had no clue how to market it outside of Japan...largely because the ones that did eventually break through were mostly shōnen. Then in high school I remember the harem ones becoming popular and I just noped right out entirely. My distaste of shōnen has to involve a lot of carry-over with why superhero stuff annoys me too. The kids I grew up with who watched the animated Spider-Man or Batman shows graduated to Dragon Ball and Naruto. I was closer to replacing Rocko's Modern Life with Space Ghost: Coast to Coast. Even when there was connective tissue, it wasn't the good kind. Chrono Trigger will probably always be one of my 3 favorite games and I still hate most of the character designs because of how everyone looks like a Dragon Ball character.
  3. Along with Dragon Ball the other first anime I remember is Sailor Moon...which I remember quite enjoying a couple times and getting called certain slurs enough to never even look at it again. It was Dragon Ball or nothing for a boy at the time, so I chose nothing.
  4. Toonami was too little, too late for me. By the time they got around to the robot host I'd compartmentalized anime as 'for kids' and, as a mature 14 year-old, I wouldn't give it the time of day after the cartoon about the fast food roommates ended. The ones they tended to show, especially early, were the opposite of appealing to me too.
  5. Someone just telling me what Neon Genesis Evangelion was about would have gotten me to at least attempt to pirate it or something once that became an option, but all I knew about it was the mech stuff and mechs have always been one of those things I just don't 'get.' The guy that was way into Gundam telling me how much I'd love it was, regrettably, a mark against it.
  6. I'm excited to see where this series goes knowing that there's a hard turn coming and there's already plenty of philosophical seeds planted.
  7. Final Fantasy VII was my everything circa 1997/98. The influence is immediately apparent.
  8. That f***ing song. How have you not been in my life on repeat for decades? The fact that I now know what that song comes from now makes the first memory I have with it really special (@ Sega's now-closed Akihabara arcade).
  9. Watching the intro...there's a 100% chance I'd have lost television priveledges for at least a month based on it being 'smut.'

Reactions: Randy Butternubs

Deport Ogie

Jun 30, 2014
Suburbia
Deftones are still a thing?

Man... havent heard them since late 90's early 2000's... last I heard was that his throat/voice/whatever was going to be in trouble and his singing days would be over with all the screaming he does... forget his name even...

I guess not, or they got a new singer, or he doesnt scream as much, but deftones and screaming is synonymous.

Deftones are still very much a thing and Chino is still lead vox. I'm not a huge fan of theirs actually so I can't speak much to any vocal issues but I do know their longtime bassist died a few years back. I'm mostly going to see Gojira.

Reactions: LOGiK

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Deftones are still very much a thing and Chino is still lead vox. I'm not a huge fan of theirs actually so I can't speak much to any vocal issues but I do know their longtime bassist died a few years back. I'm mostly going to see Gojira.

Thats the guy. Chino.
I think he needed surgery or had surgery or both again... he really damaged his vocal watever..

Deport Ogie

Jun 30, 2014
Suburbia
Thats the guy. Chino.
I think he needed surgery or had surgery or both again... he really damaged his vocal watever..

Just like anything else, there's a definite way to correctly do screams/death growls safely but if you don't know the procedure you're in trouble. Matt Heafy, Anders Friden, numerous other metal vocalists have had to undergo surgery or relearn their style or in the case of Friden...scale back growls altogether in order to save your ability to speak at all.

I haven't searched it up but there's a video of Arch Enemy's old vocalist Angela Gossow giving essentially a TED Talk on how to safely perform death growls.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Just like anything else, there's a definite way to correctly do screams/death growls safely but if you don't know the procedure you're in trouble. Matt Heafy, Anders Friden, numerous other metal vocalists have had to undergo surgery or relearn their style or in the case of Friden...scale back growls altogether in order to save your ability to speak at all.

I haven't searched it up but there's a video of Arch Enemy's old vocalist Angela Gossow giving essentially a TED Talk on how to safely perform death growls.

Yeah, you need proper breath support and technique for that stuff. Lots of death metal folks I know actually took some classical voice lessons for that reason.

Reactions: Deport Ogie

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
What am I missing in BOTW... I attempted to go to gorgon or whatever the name is of the volcano city... I took a lvl 2 potion / food for heat protection and I still burned...

I don't want to look up spoilers or whatever, but with a simple answer is there a place or something I have to do BEFORE going there... as in somewhere I can buy heat gear or is that going to happen - link burning up because that specific area is just too hot and is always kinda off limits - or should I just go somewhere else and save that area...

I'm already on my way around it, doesn't really matter to me, but I hear they have craft or sell good weapons there... so I was interested.

Can probably work a certain path that gets me to the city or just slam food meals and run like heal to get to the city.... but will I also burn once at the city?

If anyone responds please do as spoiler free as possible plz =]

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
You've saw..... nothing???? You've not watched any of Castlevania???!

My favorite is Lenore... rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrRRRRRRRRrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr <3

Yeah man, Lenore is my favorite too. Even though she's evil. I'm only 3 episodes in to this final season. Isaac is great.

What am I missing in BOTW... I attempted to go to gorgon or whatever the name is of the volcano city... I took a lvl 2 potion / food for heat protection and I still burned...

I don't want to look up spoilers or whatever, but with a simple answer is there a place or something I have to do BEFORE going there... as in somewhere I can buy heat gear or is that going to happen - link burning up because that specific area is just too hot and is always kinda off limits - or should I just go somewhere else and save that area...

I'm already on my way around it, doesn't really matter to me, but I hear they have craft or sell good weapons there... so I was interested.

Can probably work a certain path that gets me to the city or just slam food meals and run like heal to get to the city.... but will I also burn once at the city?

If anyone responds please do as spoiler free as possible plz =]

If I'm remembering correctly, I did my best to paraglide everywhere (instead of walking) and stayed in the shade [edit: no, there's no shade and it wouldn't help anyway]? I also had many potions.

Reactions: LOGiK

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Thought I’d move my Pine Gap story here @End of Line @KIRK

I used to live in Alice Springs which is close to Pine Gap. I knew someone who worked there. His computer froze one day and a minute later security came down with his final payout and they drove him back to town. No reasons given.

I’ve got more to the story but on my iPad HF suddenly stops sometimes and I lose what I wrote. I’ll write the rest later. Can’t be ****ed typing it all again for the 3rd time

Reactions: End of Line

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Thought I’d move my Pine Gap story here @End of Line @KIRK

I used to live in Alice Springs which is close to Pine Gap. I knew someone who worked there. His computer froze one day and a minute later security came down with his final payout and they drove him back to town. No reasons given.

I’ve got more to the story but on my iPad HF suddenly stops sometimes and I lose what I wrote. I’ll write the rest later. Can’t be ****ed typing it all again for the 3rd time

200.gif

:razz:

(hate it when that happens)

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Just finished Castlevania...

Did not expect that ending...

to be so relatively cheerful and happy for mostly everyone

Reactions: Randy Butternubs
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad