OT: HFPens Community Lounge: A Pocket Full of Bits

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Last thread is over 1,000 posts.

I'm overdosing on handheld nostalgia hard right now and have been thinking about finally getting into the whole emulation game for older hardware. I haven't dipped my toes in the emulation pool since the days of Bleem! and it appears that a handheld emulation machine just hit the market that'll play the games I'm thinking about with that lovely old GameBoy form factor and *LGR gasp* woodgrain finish.
ExQR8FKXIAAeRPm

Thinking that this would finally be the thing to get me to play all of those games I missed the first time around and nostalgically miss. I was the one weirdo kid who would have given his soul for a Sega Nomad back in the day...full-price gaming just wasn't an option for me as a kid, so my gaming history is intrinsically tied to cheap, shitty handheld gaming. It's also why my Vita was my favorite platform for a while and why the Switch has been such a winner for me despite my utter indifference to most of Nintendo's big franchises.

On another note...man, I want another game in the ilk of Donkey Kong '94. There were those Mario & DK Minis games for a while, but a.) not nearly as interesting or good and b.) the last real one was 8 years ago on a discontinued platform. I ain't British, so adding Lemmings-like gameplay made those games considerably worse to me.

My original GameBoy is still with me, somehow. It survived the flood that destroyed ~90% of my childhood items by hiding in a binder of hockey cards from 1996 that was in a bin instead of a box. Unfortunately none of the games survived and I have no desire to actually use the original GameBoy again...but it's nice just to have. SNK releasing a bunch of NeoGeo Pocket Color games has me feeling really nostalgic for what I lost, though.

I never got a GameBoy Pocket or Color because that damn brick was never going to die and my parents weren't going to buy something I "already had." I mean, I can't really blame my parents for treating video games like a fad when it was a fad for my Gen X siblings. The day my parents surprised me with my first gaming console and tried to treat a hand-me-down Intellivision as the reason why I didn't need a NES or SNES will always live in the annals of my memory as the day I learned what disappointment is...at least it worked to make the GameBoy & Game Gear appear acceptable in comparison before too long :laugh:

Please keep all emulation talk within the TOS (do not directly link to sites featuring roms and whatnot, keep it to the PMS if you must).

Last edited:

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Thanks for the recommendations boys. Idk how much of the craft beer scene really interests me. Some of it seems kinda pretentious, some of it actually looks nice. But It has yet to peak my interests. I want to tour the basic stuff first I guess, I quit drinking at 20 (lol) and am back at it at 25, so i'm a little new to the scene still. I took some time away from the game like Mario.

Yeah, I wouldn't start out in the craft beers. Go something like: Blue Light > Blue > Yuengling > Guinness. Since you're in Maryland I'm assuming you should be able to get all of those beers. And if you can find it for cheap, maybe try out a beer from Heavy Seas (Baltimore area).

For me, I needed to stay away from the beers that had high IBUs (bitterness) for a very long time. Those being IPAs, Double IPAs, and whatever other types I'm forgetting. Oddly enough, I liked the Double IPAs better since I think the higher alcohol masks the bitterness.

Reactions: Tacitus Kilgore

Tacitus Kilgore

May 26, 2010
Potomac, MD
Yeah, I wouldn't start out in the craft beers. Go something like: Blue Light > Blue > Yuengling > Guinness. Since you're in Maryland I'm assuming you should be able to get all of those beers. And if you can find it for cheap, maybe try out a beer from Heavy Seas (Baltimore area).

For me, I needed to stay away from the beers that had high IBUs (bitterness) for a very long time. Those being IPAs, Double IPAs, and whatever other types I'm forgetting. Oddly enough, I liked the Double IPAs better since I think the higher alcohol masks the bitterness.

Sounds like a good route of progression to grow my palette. I have some Yuengling in the fridge right now, but tbh i'm not digging it so much. But I really want to like it so I'm gonna keep giving it a go. Oh cool, I do like the idea of locally brewed stuff, so I'll def check out the Baltimore stuff.

My pops has been having this Baltimore brewed blonde Guinness as of late and it looks alright. I'm not too big on IPA's but my dad's been drinking Sierra Nevada Pale Ale since I was a lad, but he will also have a Blue Moon with an orange, so I suppose he has a "diverse" palette in that respect.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
@Ogrezilla @HandshakeLine @Big McLargehuge

Just got the hero's relic. I found to level... yeah this is why I wanted to stay off of guides and the net for tips.... to level, I now sit in an auxillary battle with 1 unit on the battlefield... park on the healing square/def/avo buff and just massacre entire teams shooting up levels and mastery in no time...

Gotta be careful at first and make sure they are low enough level... AND NOT PLATE KNIGHTS going against little p-shooter units that can't do dmg against them.

Oh.. I'm getting side tracked... I wanted to say I got the hero's relic for my byleth and got the blacksmith... iron sword+ is nice!
CAN blacksmith repair my hero relic??? or ONLY by rest?

Reactions: Ogrezilla

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
I will say one your archers get up to B+-ish, they're gonna do damage to anything except overly leveled armored bosses. :laugh: I had Bernadetta nearly one shot the Death Knight in one playthrough because she had like a 4x attack against him and hit a critical.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Saturday night I went to my friend's place since he offered to make me tacos for my b-day. I reciprocated the gesture and made him and his girlfriend fresh pasta last night. Dear lord did we destroy some wine. I'm certainly feeling it.

Iggy Smalls

Jun 6, 2010
Visited Alexandria VA this past weekend. That area is way more densely packed than I remember. We stayed at my gf's friend's apartment near the US Patent Office and there were several blocks packed with people, shops, restaurants, a waterfront, etc. It was like if Lawrenceville and Shadyside merged and they all got federal gov jobs instead of tech.

Pretty cool place but it definitely made me realize how fortunate I am to pay less than 1200 per month with all utilities rather than 2500 bucks. Also tried some cool restaurants in DC like Barcelona Wine Bar and Le Diplomate. My gf and I obviously indulged but I spent a lot more money on food than I have in a very long time. I hope 70 buck dinners aren't the norm over there.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I will say one your archers get up to B+-ish, they're gonna do damage to anything except overly leveled armored bosses. :laugh: I had Bernadetta nearly one shot the Death Knight in one playthrough because she had like a 4x attack against him and hit a critical.
Not quite as silly, bit lysithia just one shot him in my golden eagle game I started. Though maybe more ridiculous because it was one hit and not a critical.

Reactions: HandshakeLine

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
@Ogrezilla @HandshakeLine @Big McLargehuge

Just got the hero's relic. I found to level... yeah this is why I wanted to stay off of guides and the net for tips.... to level, I now sit in an auxillary battle with 1 unit on the battlefield... park on the healing square/def/avo buff and just massacre entire teams shooting up levels and mastery in no time...

Gotta be careful at first and make sure they are low enough level... AND NOT PLATE KNIGHTS going against little p-shooter units that can't do dmg against them.

Oh.. I'm getting side tracked... I wanted to say I got the hero's relic for my byleth and got the blacksmith... iron sword+ is nice!
CAN blacksmith repair my hero relic??? or ONLY by rest?
I honestly only ever did it with rest. I also almost never used it because of that. But maybe the smith can do it.

Reactions: LOGiK

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
Sorry for the rant, but there are things I need to get off my chest and does not feel confortable doing to people I know:

I f***ing hate my job. I am being asked to do things WAY under my skill level and my boss is the epitome of a micromanager. I am Jagr-ing alive in that position. I knew it was a bad decision when I took the job, but I wanted to move back closer to my family and old friends. That part, I do not regret. I am happy to be back in the Townships. But professionally, I am miserable af. I hate working at a small company. I hate working with people who have no clue what they are doing (great people, fun atmosphere, but gosh they have shit business sense).

It is a small company that thinks it can be bigger, but will always remain small until he crashes down. They have no plan to execute their vision. They rely on "peddler" techniques. They are VERY short-term focused. They create a lot of panic when we have a subpar month. They do not know how to look at and interpret data. There is a severe lack of business experience and a few WAY TOO YOUNG guys in key positions. I am used to be the youngest manager, not the oldest and most experienced (I am 35).

They also want me to "teach" clients how to do marketing. I signed up to manage a business unit, not to teach idiots marketing basics. And, yes, our clients are mostly idiots because our persona is not the right one for our product... which translates to huge churn rates - people are not able to use the software and give up. I am trying to assess these problems, but all higher management cares about is "this month's sales". They are dumb. They are thinking about going into the English speaking market when our foot print in the French-speaking market is bad.... and the competition in the English-speaking market is like 100x more intense (and the competition has a more mature software). They are in the software business yet do not understand SHIT about it. The CEO is 30 years old, I should have known from the start that it would be what I would be facing... but the call to come back home was too strong.

I really need to get out of there before I get fired and destroy my once-promising career. I have applied for a few position, but good jobs in my field are rare in the Sherbrooke area, so I need to be patient.

I got a phone interview today for a Product Marketing Manager position. It is a little under what I would like to do, but the salary is good and there would be a lot of international travel. I think it would be a much better fit. Hopefully I get it, because I am very close to the edge.

Annnnnnnnnnnnnnd I feel so much better having written that down. Thanks ;)

Allie Kitsune

...and the Brawla Brawla Sewitt
Jan 7, 2006
Pennsylvania
Last thread is over 1,000 posts.

I'm overdosing on handheld nostalgia hard right now and have been thinking about finally getting into the whole emulation game for older hardware. I haven't dipped my toes in the emulation pool since the days of Bleem! and it appears that a handheld emulation machine just hit the market that'll play the games I'm thinking about with that lovely old GameBoy form factor and *LGR gasp* woodgrain finish.
ExQR8FKXIAAeRPm

Thinking that this would finally be the thing to get me to play all of those games I missed the first time around and nostalgically miss. I was the one weirdo kid who would have given his soul for a Sega Nomad back in the day...full-price gaming just wasn't an option for me as a kid, so my gaming history is intrinsically tied to cheap, shitty handheld gaming. It's also why my Vita was my favorite platform for a while and why the Switch has been such a winner for me despite my utter indifference to most of Nintendo's big franchises.

On another note...man, I want another game in the ilk of Donkey Kong '94. There were those Mario & DK Minis games for a while, but a.) not nearly as interesting or good and b.) the last real one was 8 years ago on a discontinued platform. I ain't British, so adding Lemmings-like gameplay made those games considerably worse to me.

My original GameBoy is still with me, somehow. It survived the flood that destroyed ~90% of my childhood items by hiding in a binder of hockey cards from 1996 that was in a bin instead of a box. Unfortunately none of the games survived and I have no desire to actually use the original GameBoy again...but it's nice just to have. SNK releasing a bunch of NeoGeo Pocket Color games has me feeling really nostalgic for what I lost, though.

I never got a GameBoy Pocket or Color because that damn brick was never going to die and my parents weren't going to buy something I "already had." I mean, I can't really blame my parents for treating video games like a fad when it was a fad for my Gen X siblings. The day my parents surprised me with my first gaming console and tried to treat a hand-me-down Intellivision as the reason why I didn't need a NES or SNES will always live in the annals of my memory as the day I learned what disappointment is...at least it worked to make the GameBoy & Game Gear appear acceptable in comparison before too long :laugh:

Please keep all emulation talk within the TOS (do not directly link to sites featuring roms and whatnot, keep it to the PMS if you must).

I have the RG351 (same manufacturer, but different form factor). I don't use it nearly as much as I thought I would. It _is_ nice for GBA stuff thanks to the larger screen, but I just do not like playing anything else on it at all.

Reactions: Big McLargehuge

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
I have the RG351 (same manufacturer, but different form factor). I don't use it nearly as much as I thought I would. It _is_ nice for GBA stuff thanks to the larger screen, but I just do not like playing anything else on it at all.

Hmm, well that sucks. I already ordered it and it'll probably take a couple weeks to get here. I really wish it emulated the Dreamcast better than it appears to, especially as it only having one analog stick wouldn't be an issue there, but I'm sure I could easily get my Vita to do so now that Sony is removing the one reason for me to not do that soon.

Should be the perfect form factor for the kinds of games I play, though. The lack of a second analog stick shouldn't affect me too much since it mostly just prevents me from playing Ape Escape.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Sorry for the rant, but there are things I need to get off my chest and does not feel confortable doing to people I know:

I f***ing hate my job. I am being asked to do things WAY under my skill level and my boss is the epitome of a micromanager. I am Jagr-ing alive in that position. I knew it was a bad decision when I took the job, but I wanted to move back closer to my family and old friends. That part, I do not regret. I am happy to be back in the Townships. But professionally, I am miserable af. I hate working at a small company. I hate working with people who have no clue what they are doing (great people, fun atmosphere, but gosh they have shit business sense).

It is a small company that thinks it can be bigger, but will always remain small until he crashes down. They have no plan to execute their vision. They rely on "peddler" techniques. They are VERY short-term focused. They create a lot of panic when we have a subpar month. They do not know how to look at and interpret data. There is a severe lack of business experience and a few WAY TOO YOUNG guys in key positions. I am used to be the youngest manager, not the oldest and most experienced (I am 35).

They also want me to "teach" clients how to do marketing. I signed up to manage a business unit, not to teach idiots marketing basics. And, yes, our clients are mostly idiots because our persona is not the right one for our product... which translates to huge churn rates - people are not able to use the software and give up. I am trying to assess these problems, but all higher management cares about is "this month's sales". They are dumb. They are thinking about going into the English speaking market when our foot print in the French-speaking market is bad.... and the competition in the English-speaking market is like 100x more intense (and the competition has a more mature software). They are in the software business yet do not understand SHIT about it. The CEO is 30 years old, I should have known from the start that it would be what I would be facing... but the call to come back home was too strong.

I really need to get out of there before I get fired and destroy my once-promising career. I have applied for a few position, but good jobs in my field are rare in the Sherbrooke area, so I need to be patient.

I got a phone interview today for a Product Marketing Manager position. It is a little under what I would like to do, but the salary is good and there would be a lot of international travel. I think it would be a much better fit. Hopefully I get it, because I am very close to the edge.

Annnnnnnnnnnnnnd I feel so much better having written that down. Thanks ;)

Francophile hating their job? Nahhhh. ;)

Seriously though, at least your smart enough to get out. So many people stay in jobs they hate..

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
This should be good...

This week will see the closure of the causeway, which was put in place in 1968, for ~6 months as it is replaced with a permanent bridge. In the meantime, everyone will have to take the Gunningsville Bridge commuting between Moncton and Riverview. Furthermore, the traffic will pour over onto routes that are busy to begin with (West Main Street, Vaughan Harvey Boulevard, and Wheeler Boulevard).

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
New anime recommendation for anyone who likes anime: Assassination Classroom. I started getting clips of it recommended for me on youtube, and it's absolutely hilarious from what I've seen. It's on Hulu as well, and while I'm usually a sub snob, the dub is really good as well.

Reactions: Deport Ogie

Deport Ogie

Jun 30, 2014
Suburbia
New anime recommendation for anyone who likes anime: Assassination Classroom. I started getting clips of it recommended for me on youtube, and it's absolutely hilarious from what I've seen. It's on Hulu as well, and while I'm usually a sub snob, the dub is really good as well.

AssClass is definitely one of my favs and one of the first 5 or so I watched. I chose it randomly because it looked ridiculous. It IS ridiculous and also hilarious, but fair warning, as you get into s2 the feels train comes and it comes hard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad